“Loved the Algonquin”

Ranked #190 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Loved the Algonquin”
Reviewed 29 January 2006

This is a great find. Was attracted to a great rate ($189 with AAA discount). Went in with even exspectations and they were exceeded. The lobby is oozing old world charm and history. Checkin was a breeze. Was assigned room 514 which was cozy. This is the only downfall of the hotel: the rooms are the size of a broomcloset. There was just enough room to walk around in it with a queen size bed, desk, and armoire. The bed as everyone else has said was wonderful. We stayed at the Ritz Battery Park the next night, and I would say it was on par or even slightly better. Bathroom felt as though one was on a ship, very small but very functional. The room was immacultely clean and every request of the staff was met with a smile and prompt action. It reminded me very much of the Plaza Hotel, only it was by far better kept and the service was far superior. The room we had would have made it very difficult to make a long term stay of it, but it is perfect for a one or two night getaway. That was my only real dissapointment: the place you in the smallest room in the place if youre paying a discounted rate. That being said, I would definitely stay there again. Great experience.

• Stayed January 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
Reviewed 27 January 2006

This hotel is fantastic. My husband and I stayed here in January 2006. It is a very nice older hotel. We were upgraded to a suite which was spacious and nice. The beg is very comfortable. Regular rooms did look a bit small. Service was great. Anything we asked for was not an issue. The location is one of the best features of this hotel. You are close to walk to Times Square and can hit 5th ave for great shopping. I would highly recommend it.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 January 2006

I also booked through the internet, but I didn't notice a difference in attitude. The room was exactly as it appears on their site. I expected the room to be small, as it's New York and the hotel is over a century old. I didn't find it too small at all. I'm a light sleeper, but the radiator (which was not exactly quiet) didn't wake me up at all. Maybe it was because the beds are so comfortable. Hotel beds are always an issue for me because of back problems, but their beds were just as comfortable as mine--no small task. I was at a loss to discover no coffee in the room, but solved that dilemma with room service, which was very quick. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I felt very at home there. The location is very convenient--I walked everywhere. I thought the hotel was very charming and would recommend it to anyone, although if you're expecting it to be like a chain hotel, forget it. It's a famous, old hotel with great charm and a lot of history behind it.

• Stayed January 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tiverton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2006

My friend and I visited New York mid-December for a shopping break and stayed for three nights at the Algonquin.

The hotel has a large lobby with comfortable seating areas which always seemed to be a popular place for a drink and chat. It had a very nice and welcoming atmosphere, just the place for a cocktail after a long day's shopping.

The staff are very helpful and courteous, especially Kevin. And Matilda the cat is beautiful.

We found our twin bedded room to be very clean and comfortable, although the bathroom was a little small and did not have a bath. The only mirror for the room was on the inside of the bathroom door, so could have done with another one over the dressing table.

Overall we were delighted with the hotel we had chosen and would definitely return and recommend to all. Great location.

2 Thank Nik
Reviewed 2 January 2006

We stayed at the Algonquin Christmas day 2005. The Hotel is old and retains a lot its charm. The lobby is way to small to comfortably check in. Upon check in the staff was proffesional and friendly however, when we checked out they never asked us "How was your stay?" or anything else. Our room was just like the photo in the web site, very nicely decorated. As in other reviews the bed was incredebly comfortable unlike any other hotel I have stayed in and we travel a lot. I called down for a blanket and 45 minutes later it did not arrive. Ultimately, I called back to cancel since I needed my sleep. The temperature in the room was good. The problem comes in with the noise the heater makes. Every time the heater came on it was like someone turned on a deiesel truck in the room I woke about 5 or 8 times during the night because the heater went on. Be adiviced their continental Breakfast was $19.00 a person! If you walk to the right of the hotel about 10 feet you will find a reastaurant where they will serve you breakfast in about 3 minutes and that is eggs, toast, home fries and they are hot. The service was great there all for about $4.00. We did meet Matilda the snobby persian cat, very cute... I would not stay at this hotel again due to, service and the heater issue. I think one could do better for the price.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Jose, California
Reviewed 27 December 2005

This is a good place to stay--a small, lovely old hotel with a well-trained, helpful staff. The location is perfect for the typical NYC tourist, particularly if you are attending theater; very central, in a safe area, and on a relatively quiet yet central block. The lobby is small and elegant, with original dark wood panelling. Many people stop by for afternoon and evening drinks at the Algonquin even if they aren't staying there or are local--it is a lovely spot. (While most people were dressed well while having a drink, it fine to sit for tea in your jeans after touristing around. We did.) The food in the restaurant is good (we ate breakfasts and pizza there ), though not inexpensive....but not royally outrageous either. A full breakfast (many choices) of eggs, french toast, or pastries, rolls, etc,, with fruit and juice and coffee, etc is $17 I think. The coffee shop next door is cheaper (maybe 12 for all the same stuff), but not very good food in my opinion.

I'd read that the rooms were very small, but while they are small, I wouldn't call them "very small." We had the Queen suite for 2 adults and 2 kids. It was one bedroom , with TV armoire, room for a suitcase stand, and a walk-in closet with hanging space, shelves, and room for another suitcase stand and room for someone to change if need be.

The bathroom was small, but modern and clean, (but I should note that the tub-shower combo had an exceptionally high side that would be difficult for older adults or less athletic folks to easily access;the regular rooms had a normal shower.) The sitting room was nice and had a sofabed, a comfortable club-style chair, TV, fridge and a large writing desk and chair. We had plenty of room to get a rollaway bed so our kids had separate beds.

Our kids are a mature 12 and 13 (girl and boy) , and they enjoyed the hotel. There were a number of teens staying with parents (it is the holidays), but I saw only one child younger than my daughter.

The hallways are like they were originally--fairly narrow, with panelling. All of us noted that if you need to take the stairs down to the restroom in the lobby, you had better not be obese--it is extremely narrow. These things, to us, all added to the charm of the hotel. It is more like a nice European small hotel, with character and individuality. My kids liked it. True, they have travelled to Europe a few times and stayed in small hotels or country houses, so they find charm in originality, but I think many would. There is a cat who lives in the lobby and at the reception desk. She's very pretty and mellow. The kids liked her, and will definitely remember their stay at the Algonquin as part of their NYC trip. It wasn't just like staying at another Sheraton, etc.

3 Thank TravelmomSJ
London
Reviewed 6 December 2005

Agree with some of the last reviews. Upon check in I received the same Expedia treatment. My booking stated a Full Bed (whatever that might mean!) and we received a really small bed. When complained, I was told this was Expedia's problem and they can't do anything about it. Furthermore I did enjoy smoking in the non-smoking room as my confirmation stated a smoking booking. The front desk man, Enrique, was totally unprofessional. He wore an ill fitting suit and was best suited to a Days Inn ! When we discussed the bed size, I agreed to compromise by saying I will sleep on the floor and if the could provide another set of duvet/pillows. He refused saying that was against fire regulations ! He also said it was not possible to upgrade the room at extra cost as the booking was done through Expedia. To cut a long story short, my verditct is:

- excellent location.
- fair value for money (it is NY afterall !).
- very small rooms.
- no flat screens as advertised.
- very comfortable beds.
- very nice but small common areas (which could be an attraction).
- lovely staff (save for Enrique !).
- don't book through Expedia otherwise you will be treated like the poor cousins (although what I paid was the same if booked direct !).

9 Thank ramo