The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
Ranked #179 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Special”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2006

My wife and I finished off our honeymoon with 3 nights in NYC. We always travel around, and end up bookink things late, as we go. We were therfore a bit worried with New York, as there are more hotels to choose from than anywhere else. However, we booked 3 nights at the Algonquin 2 days before we were due to arrive.
when we did arrive our luggage was taken care of, and the front desk staff were really pleasent. The room that we had was on the 7th floor, and looked out over the back - but this was good! The street at the front is quite busy so it may well have been a better view, but it would have been noisey. The room itself, was perfect. Very nicely decorated, lovely comfy bed, very very clean and crisp. The bathroom was excellent too. It generally had everything you needed.
As we had mentioned that it was our honeymoon, the management had left a bottle of fizzy wine on ice, some chocolates and a congratulations card! Bearing in mind that our honeymoon consisted of 8 flights, and 10 different hotels/guesthouses, and that this was the only place to give us a gesture, we thought it was pretty special.
Regardless of the 'special' treatment, we thought that the Algonquin was a very high standard all round. The lobby bar is the kind of place where you are happy to have to dress smartly for. A great atmosphere. The hotel itself was perfectly located for our 3 night visit, being within walking distance of some wonderful sights, restaurants and bars.
I note that another reviewer was disappointed at having seemingly a similar room fo $400 per night. I suppose if we had paid that much I would have been a little, but if you focus on the quality, it is probably the going rate in this location.
Whatever, we were made really happy here - so thanks to the Algonquin.
ps - One negative, don't make any international calls ($$)

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2006

This was our first visit to New York City and the staff at the Algonquin made it a comfortable and enjoyable stay for us newcomers. This trip was planned at the last minute and we didn't really even know where to go. The front desk staff was very prompt and courteous. The bellman immediately assisted us with our bags and escorted us to our room. Along the way to our room he helped us with some suggestions on sights to see and the best way to get there.We took his suggestions and despite a little bit of rain we had a wonderful visit. It kept us busy and wanting to return for more. We will definitely be staying at the Algonquin on our return visits to New York City.What a unique place to stay with a great staff.

• Stayed February 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2006

This is a great find. Was attracted to a great rate ($189 with AAA discount). Went in with even exspectations and they were exceeded. The lobby is oozing old world charm and history. Checkin was a breeze. Was assigned room 514 which was cozy. This is the only downfall of the hotel: the rooms are the size of a broomcloset. There was just enough room to walk around in it with a queen size bed, desk, and armoire. The bed as everyone else has said was wonderful. We stayed at the Ritz Battery Park the next night, and I would say it was on par or even slightly better. Bathroom felt as though one was on a ship, very small but very functional. The room was immacultely clean and every request of the staff was met with a smile and prompt action. It reminded me very much of the Plaza Hotel, only it was by far better kept and the service was far superior. The room we had would have made it very difficult to make a long term stay of it, but it is perfect for a one or two night getaway. That was my only real dissapointment: the place you in the smallest room in the place if youre paying a discounted rate. That being said, I would definitely stay there again. Great experience.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2006

This hotel is fantastic. My husband and I stayed here in January 2006. It is a very nice older hotel. We were upgraded to a suite which was spacious and nice. The beg is very comfortable. Regular rooms did look a bit small. Service was great. Anything we asked for was not an issue. The location is one of the best features of this hotel. You are close to walk to Times Square and can hit 5th ave for great shopping. I would highly recommend it.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2006

I also booked through the internet, but I didn't notice a difference in attitude. The room was exactly as it appears on their site. I expected the room to be small, as it's New York and the hotel is over a century old. I didn't find it too small at all. I'm a light sleeper, but the radiator (which was not exactly quiet) didn't wake me up at all. Maybe it was because the beds are so comfortable. Hotel beds are always an issue for me because of back problems, but their beds were just as comfortable as mine--no small task. I was at a loss to discover no coffee in the room, but solved that dilemma with room service, which was very quick. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I felt very at home there. The location is very convenient--I walked everywhere. I thought the hotel was very charming and would recommend it to anyone, although if you're expecting it to be like a chain hotel, forget it. It's a famous, old hotel with great charm and a lot of history behind it.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tiverton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2006

My friend and I visited New York mid-December for a shopping break and stayed for three nights at the Algonquin.

The hotel has a large lobby with comfortable seating areas which always seemed to be a popular place for a drink and chat. It had a very nice and welcoming atmosphere, just the place for a cocktail after a long day's shopping.

The staff are very helpful and courteous, especially Kevin. And Matilda the cat is beautiful.

We found our twin bedded room to be very clean and comfortable, although the bathroom was a little small and did not have a bath. The only mirror for the room was on the inside of the bathroom door, so could have done with another one over the dressing table.

Overall we were delighted with the hotel we had chosen and would definitely return and recommend to all. Great location.

• Stayed December 2005
2 Thank Nik
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2006

We stayed at the Algonquin Christmas day 2005. The Hotel is old and retains a lot its charm. The lobby is way to small to comfortably check in. Upon check in the staff was proffesional and friendly however, when we checked out they never asked us "How was your stay?" or anything else. Our room was just like the photo in the web site, very nicely decorated. As in other reviews the bed was incredebly comfortable unlike any other hotel I have stayed in and we travel a lot. I called down for a blanket and 45 minutes later it did not arrive. Ultimately, I called back to cancel since I needed my sleep. The temperature in the room was good. The problem comes in with the noise the heater makes. Every time the heater came on it was like someone turned on a deiesel truck in the room I woke about 5 or 8 times during the night because the heater went on. Be adiviced their continental Breakfast was $19.00 a person! If you walk to the right of the hotel about 10 feet you will find a reastaurant where they will serve you breakfast in about 3 minutes and that is eggs, toast, home fries and they are hot. The service was great there all for about $4.00. We did meet Matilda the snobby persian cat, very cute... I would not stay at this hotel again due to, service and the heater issue. I think one could do better for the price.

• Stayed December 2005