The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
Ranked #204 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 May 2007

The room was small, but clean and very comfortable. The staff was very nice, especially the bellhop and the doormen. We were disappointed that the coffeemaker that was promised to be in the room wasn't. When we asked the desk, they said they have coffeemakers that we could have, but they don't have coffee or filters to go with them. My advice, don't say it's an amenity when it isn't. They also change the time when the lobby coffee is available, so we missed out both days. I would definitely go back to stay again. Very comfortable and close to the theatres. The diner next door, The Red Flame Diner, was the perfect place for an inexpensive meal at anytime, they open at 6am and stay til midnight.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank hmwal77
Write a ReviewReviews (2,024)

Reviewed 12 May 2007

Stayed with a friend. Room was small, but extremely comfortable. Great music in bar. Lobby area is a lot of fun. Loved the "resident" cat.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed 8 May 2007

Great location. Very small rooms; my husband and I had difficulty walking around the king size bed at the same time. Bed was very comfy though. We had trouble with the air conditioning. It kept tripping the surge protector. A maintenance person quickly answered the call but only told us to turn the protector back on; it did this all night.
I feel we were paying premium for the beautiful lobby/ restaurant/ and bar area. Next time we will stay two doors down at the Sofitel.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sowarr
Reviewed 5 May 2007

It was our fist time in NYC and decided to stay at the Algonquin because a famous Italian writer dedicated one chapter of his "I segreti di New York" to Dorothy Parker, so I was curious.

We stayed for 8 nights in a 2 rooms premier suite, which was rather expensive (560USD av. per night with tax), but also nice and comfortable; the only cons was the bed sofa where our 20yrs old daughter slept: it was quite tough and bumpy, so, even if her room was elegant and spacious, well equipped with fridge, huge plasma tv set and other amenities, my daughter kept complaining. My sleeping room was a bit smaller, but the queen bed was really soft, so my husband and I enjoyed it. The bathroom was a bit small too, with a small bathtub, that looked old fashioned, with a strange draining system, and of course no bidet...but you must be really lucky to find one out of Italy...LOL
For our clothes there was only a small cabinet and a medium sized piece of furniture which was nice but couldn't be defined a wardrobe, anyhow we managed to put all our things in order.

The staff were really nice and kind: the doorman and the bellboys were always ready to be useful to us, so was the concierge, the receptionists were a bit hasty, but efficient. The maids kept the room well clean but they didn't refresh it in the afternoon as it happens in most luxury hotels.
They even have complimentary laptops, which was great for my daughter to keep in touch with her friends in Italy, but if you really need a pc, better bring yours cause they have only one or two and they are often taken.
Breakfast wasn't included in the price and it was expensive, specially since there was no buffet and anyhing you order extra the standard Continental or American breakfast they serve is added to the already high price ( 15/21 USD plus tax and tip). Nevertheless it is worth while because that Round Table room of theirs is very elegant and full of historical reminiscences, besides the waiters are fun: most of them are small and a bit fussy, strangely alike the Humpa Lumpas in the movie "The chocolate factory" with Johnny Depp.
We didn't have dinner here because in the menu there was nothing appealing to our delicate Italian palates and couldn't have tea in the lobby in the afternoon cause they explained us that it wasn't tea time, so they didn't serve any,
We were obviously struck by the beauty and charm of the wonderful Matilda, The famous Algonquin cat. She is so nice that can be caressed by any hotel guest and moves around like a real queen supervising everything.
Overall we had a wondeful time in New York and enjoyed a nice stay at this hotel, so well located quiet and comfortable, the cons were minor things that didn't spoil our holiday.
If I would come back? Maybe I'd rather stay in another area to have a different taste of New York , but...who knows...if Matilda invites us....

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
8  Thank Claire53
Reviewed 21 April 2007

I stayed at the Algonquin while I was sitting for the New York State Bar Exam in July 2006, despite the fact that I lived around the corner in Murray Hill. My reasoning was that I needed to be pampered and relaxed during this incredibly stressful 2-day exam - something that was unlikely to happen in my cramped & noisy studio on Lexington Avenue. I chose the Algonquin because of its rich literary history, the lovely ambiance, and the wonderful experiences I had previously enjoyed in the bar/restaurant of the hotel.

I checked in the evening before the exam, and was shown to a decrepit room with peeling wallpaper and stained carpeting - the room was also very noisy, despite my request for a room in the back of the hotel. I saw another queen deluxe room across the hall being cleaned, and when I called the front desk to ask if I could be moved into that room, the woman condescendingly replied that it was not in "my price range" since I had booked through Priceline - despite the fact that it was an identical Queen deluxe room - and that New York is a noisy city (I should know I've lived here for 8 years). She also stated that the hotel was booked up & I would have to stay in the room. Eventually, several phone calls later, and after requesting to speak to her supervisor, I was moved to a more acceptable room - obviously, the hotel was not in fact booked up.

I had planned on staying an extra evening after the Bar exam to relax and recuperate, but based on my unpleasant experience, I chose to check out immediately after the bar exam.

Upon approaching the valet to request my luggage (which I had left on the final morning of the exam), I was ignored while he chit-chatted with another worker. Another woman who had just taken the Bar was also with me, waiting for her luggage. The valet told us something along the lines of "you girls will just have to wait." Girls?

Unbelievable. The worst part was that I wrote a letter to the manager of the hotel, detailing my experience, and never received a response. I am thoroughly disappointed by this incredibly unpleasant experience during an already stressful time in my life. No thanks to the Algonquin, I passed the Bar, and will never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled on business
7  Thank CityGirl42
Reviewed 27 March 2007

Just got back from the Algonquin. Chose this hotel for location and price. Travelzoo had a great rate of 179 with continental breakfast. We were worried about the construction next door as mentioned in recent reviews. When we arrived the woman at the desk asked if we minded waiting a few moments because she wanted to put us in a front room to avoid the noise from the construction. We did not mention anything first to her and never heard noise, except in the dining room in the morning. Everyone was very nice at the reception area. The lobby is vintage looking and my husband felt it to be depressing and dark. (It has been renovated to look this way) I liked the vintage charm. The room was pretty small and I actually had some difficulty putting my cosmetics out in the bathroom, however, everything was new and very comfortable. The bed and linens were very good. The location is fabulous. I would definitely stay here again at this rate, not sure if it was a lot higher.

• Stayed: March 2007
6  Thank guina
Reviewed 24 March 2007

The Blue Room bar has been a staple of our trips to NYC. Living in Philadelphia, we can go up on a whim. The eccentric waiters in the Blue Room bar have always been part of the charm. I was...validated...is that the word?... to read a recent review, where the customer said the Blue Room bar service is terrible and the waiters congregate around the bar and talk to each other. This is true.

BUT, the drinks are great (even at $15 a pop for a Signature Cocktail), and the free snacks are fresh.

Long live Matilda!