“A totally negative experience!”

Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #368 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rome, Italy
“A totally negative experience!”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed at Carlton hotel during my honeymoon. Even if I booked my room nine months ago, it was full of noise, small and dark. The receptionists said us that the room was upon the kitchen and taht they couldn't make anything to fix the problem. I don't suggest to anyone going to this hotel for holidays.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
vfreeman1, General Manager at Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Fabio M
Congratulations on your recent marriage. We are sorry to read that your stay was disapointing. The room booked for you by your tour operator was our smallest category room. Please know we have have multiple room types all larger than the one you occupied. I am puzzled by your noise and kitchen comment as you were on our 7th floor and nowhere near our kitchens.I regret this was an issue and we will be investigating to determine the source of your concern.
Our apologies again
Vic Freeman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I travel frequently and have a history of very positive experiences with Marriott properties. This is a beautiful boutique hotel in a great location. Unfortunately, I accidentally left behind my entire make-up kit. After making arrangements to ship it back to me, I discovered that a hotel employee stole the majority of my cosmetics and tools, and returned a nearly empty bag!. I am a sucker for expensive lines like Chanel, Armani, Dior, Shiseido, and the fabulous M.A.C. make-up brushes. After creating an inventory of the missing items, to my horror (and stupidity), I calculated more than $650 worth of cosmetics, skincare, and tools that were stolen from me. This is gently used stuff, not brand new. I will never understand why anyone would steal used make-up and brushes, but it happend to me at the Carlton Hotel and manager Mark Sooklal has "no reason to believe" that any of the hotel employees would make a partial steal. According to Mark, "typically the entire item would be stolen -- that's what I have seen in my experience." Hmmm -- he must know the stealing behavior better than me. While the property itself is lovely, I am sorry to say that I trusted my belongings would be safe at the Carlton Hotel, and I further trusted that their management would attempt to investigate my complaint. I was wrong.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
vfreeman1, General Manager at Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear mg1121
We are delighted that you liked the hotel and our excellent location.
Your allegation set forth in your posting is most concerning and I would like to respond accordingly. We sell over 90,000 room nights per year and every one of our staff have the potential to access our guest rooms. We do this daily without incident and such was the honesty and standard protocol, that the room attendant who cleaned your room found the cosmetic bag you left behind and turned it into lost and found. As stated the bag was returned to you by mail in what we believe was the same way it was found. Lost and found items are turned in and returned to their owners on a regular basis without incident. As you rightly point out the idea of someone taking items as personal as used cosmetics and brushes used on someone else’s face is extreme. We feel the same way.
I think that you may have misconstrued what our Guest Experience Director said to you. He was suggesting that if the room attendant or anyone else had any dishonest intentions the bag would never have been turned in.
We have conducted our own investigation and cannot find any evidence that the items were removed from the bag.
I am at a loss to explain their whereabouts and for this I apologize.
To suggest that criminal behavior is being perpetuated at this property is an allegation I strongly refute and take exception to.
Arnold, MD
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Arrived at the Carlton and were promptly whisked into the hotel to check in. We we're informed that we were being upgraded to the Presidential Suite! (It pays to be a Marriott Rewards member). Lovely room with a nice sitting area, 2 baths and ample room, which is hard to come by in NYC. Enjoyed a peaceful and quiet night in this lovely and eclectic old hotel. Would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to stay in the middle of Manhattan just a few blocks from the Empire State Building.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Horrible 1st time customer experience. Booked via Priceline, though it reads "Double Bed" Keep in mind this is the size of the bed And not actually double beds in the room. Not to mention the double bed room is super tiny. After booking on Priceline, I called to request and make sure my family of 4 was getting 2 beds (double beds) Needless to say the request was not met at check-in. I usually always have my request met at check -in but not here. We were given a complimentary roll away bed which made this closet size room even more smaller. Definitely upgrade if it's possible. In our case, they SAID upgrade was not possible. Hotel was fully booked. I find that hard to believe. Thru out my in & out of this hotel, I may have only seen 8 guests in the lobby and halls of hotel. Also we were thinking Continental breakfast is complimentary for ALL guests, definitely not the case here, You have to be a platinum member just to receive continental breakfast. Wow! The manager didn't do his best. The customer service skills need a great deal of polishing on his behalf. The best thing this hotel has going is the lobby presentation and I can say the hotel room is clean. There's too many other better Manhattan hotel's to choose from . This one did nothing for me to make me say I want to come back. Never again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Patrice1217
Dear Patrice1217
We are pleased you enjoyed our lobby and the cleanliness of the room. We are sorry to read of your dissapointment but feel some explaination is merited. As you mention you booked a Standard room with Priceline. It is very clear on their website that the room has one double bed for double occupancy. It also states that more than 2 guests are not guaranteed. It further states that extra beds are not available for this room type. The Carlton was sold out the night you stayed with us and we were unfortunately not able to upgrade you. Please know that it is always our intent to satisfy every guest even when the issue at hand is not caused by anything we have done.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My wife and I spent the final night of our honeymoon here. First off, let me say that the General Manager, Vic Freeman was outstanding. Without even requesting anything he upgraded us to the Broadway Diva's suite. It was a beautiful, eclectic and amazingly comfortable suite and was the icing on the cake of our honeymoon. The entire hotel staff was perfectly accommodating and we could not have asked for more.

From the bottle of wine and personalized card waiting in our room, to the excellent location for some exciting night life, the Carlton Hotel staff made us feel welcome and at home. It was the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of NYC streets and was much quieter than previous upscale properties we've visited. The personalized touches were amazing and I would highly recommend this property to friends, family or anyone looking for a comfortable stay in a great part of NYC.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to the Broadway Divas suite. It was excellent and would highly recommend it. No str...