“Very good hotel in a great location down town” 4 of 5 bubbles

Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #363 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Summit, New Jersey
“Very good hotel in a great location down town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

I had a very spacious room in this renovated hotel. It is a bit quirky, but mostly because of the vintage. The room was done up really nicely and the staff was top notch. You can choose a street view for more light but a bit more noise, or a center room for five versatile.

Cleanliness
1 Thank tally11111

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Very nice clean and welcoming place.I only spent one night but wish I stayed more.very friendly staff .room service was splendid.the rooms are very neat and classic .the restuarant was very good too.I will still stay there anytime I am in newyork.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We recently stayed at the Carlton during a pleasure trip to NYC. We find the staff to be accommodating and pleasant. This is often our go to hotel for trips to NYC during the Christmas holidays but even during the slower months they are attentive and helpful. In fact they upgraded us to the presidential suite. A luxurious suite only missing a roof top patio. The location is central to a visit and offer safe valet parking. We missed the opportunity this visit but there is a happy hour until 7 pm Monday through Friday with $1 oysters. Enjoy

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank On-point-travel
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I've stayed at this property several times in the past 2 years, always having a great experience. The central location is ideal for both business and personal travel. Rooms are always clean, and generally larger than most NYC hotels. But what keeps me coming back is the service. One of the managers, Ryan, greets me by name when I arrive and makes sure that I always receive first class treatment.

Rome, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed at Carlton hotel during my honeymoon. Even if I booked my room nine months ago, it was full of noise, small and dark. The receptionists said us that the room was upon the kitchen and taht they couldn't make anything to fix the problem. I don't suggest to anyone going to this hotel for holidays.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
vfreeman1, General Manager at Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Fabio M
Congratulations on your recent marriage. We are sorry to read that your stay was disapointing. The room booked for you by your tour operator was our smallest category room. Please know we have have multiple room types all larger than the one you occupied. I am puzzled by your noise and kitchen comment as you were on our 7th floor and nowhere near our kitchens.I regret this was an issue and we will be investigating to determine the source of your concern.
Our apologies again
Sincerely
Vic Freeman
Newport Beach, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I travel frequently and have a history of very positive experiences with Marriott properties. This is a beautiful boutique hotel in a great location. Unfortunately, I accidentally left behind my entire make-up kit. After making arrangements to ship it back to me, I discovered that a hotel employee stole the majority of my cosmetics and tools, and returned a nearly empty bag!. I am a sucker for expensive lines like Chanel, Armani, Dior, Shiseido, and the fabulous M.A.C. make-up brushes. After creating an inventory of the missing items, to my horror (and stupidity), I calculated more than $650 worth of cosmetics, skincare, and tools that were stolen from me. This is gently used stuff, not brand new. I will never understand why anyone would steal used make-up and brushes, but it happend to me at the Carlton Hotel and manager Mark Sooklal has "no reason to believe" that any of the hotel employees would make a partial steal. According to Mark, "typically the entire item would be stolen -- that's what I have seen in my experience." Hmmm -- he must know the stealing behavior better than me. While the property itself is lovely, I am sorry to say that I trusted my belongings would be safe at the Carlton Hotel, and I further trusted that their management would attempt to investigate my complaint. I was wrong.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
vfreeman1, General Manager at Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear mg1121
We are delighted that you liked the hotel and our excellent location.
Your allegation set forth in your posting is most concerning and I would like to respond accordingly. We sell over 90,000 room nights per year and every one of our staff have the potential to access our guest rooms. We do this daily without incident and such was the honesty and standard protocol, that the room attendant who cleaned your room found the cosmetic bag you left behind and turned it into lost and found. As stated the bag was returned to you by mail in what we believe was the same way it was found. Lost and found items are turned in and returned to their owners on a regular basis without incident. As you rightly point out the idea of someone taking items as personal as used cosmetics and brushes used on someone else’s face is extreme. We feel the same way.
I think that you may have misconstrued what our Guest Experience Director said to you. He was suggesting that if the room attendant or anyone else had any dishonest intentions the bag would never have been turned in.
We have conducted our own investigation and cannot find any evidence that the items were removed from the bag.
I am at a loss to explain their whereabouts and for this I apologize.
To suggest that criminal behavior is being perpetuated at this property is an allegation I strongly refute and take exception to.
Sincerely
Vic Freeman
Arnold, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Arrived at the Carlton and were promptly whisked into the hotel to check in. We we're informed that we were being upgraded to the Presidential Suite! (It pays to be a Marriott Rewards member). Lovely room with a nice sitting area, 2 baths and ample room, which is hard to come by in NYC. Enjoyed a peaceful and quiet night in this lovely and eclectic old hotel. Would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to stay in the middle of Manhattan just a few blocks from the Empire State Building.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple