My DH and I stayed 4 nights which we booked for 2 people a month and a half ago for our 4th trip to NewYork
PROS: great location, around the corner from a Metro stop
Comfortable bed with nice linens (4 pillows but very tired and flat)
Satisfactory European style breakfast: juice, coffee, tea, milk, yoghurt, cheddar cheese, cold cereal, store-bought baked goods
CONS: Room is very, very small - hotel does not differ in description between "guest room" and "petite guest room". Our reservation confirmation did not specify that we would be in a "petite guestroom". Bathroom door opens only part way due to heating register. Not so bad in itself but the opening is compromised on the otherside by the corner of the sink vanity which is butted up against the bathroom door frame. You literally have to turn sideways to squeeze through the opening and we are average size people. Yes, the sink is in the bedroom. We actually don't mind this as it allows someone to shave/put on makeup while the bathroom is occupied if you could only see!
There is no lighting for the vanity mirror, probably because it is in the bedroom. Very poor lighting from the ceiling light behind you or the low level bedside lamps also behind you.
Website describes beds as "European-style antique beds". They are not antique. Bed has no antique frame. Bed has a common steel support that fits under the box spring only. The headboard is as shown on the website however it is only a mock headboard bolted to the wall above the bed. Very narrow space to access bed on one side due to above mentioned register.
Our room had a small window with only tired brown blinds - no lovely drapes as depicted in the photo of the "petite guest room".
No dresser. No closet to speak of. Just a narrow box, 6"deep which opened awkwardly from the end up against the wall mounted TV. Only 3 hangers provided. The only other hanging space available was a single hook on the inside of bathroom door. No towel racks. No luggage rack nor space to put it anyway. Totally not suitable when there are 2 adults staying for several days. Upon arriving in the room we called the desk to inquire about moving to another room. We were told there was not an available room for 2 more days. The hotel never followed up on this.
We had to ask for a second washcloth 2 of the 4 nights - they left 2 bath towels and 2 hand towels - why only 1 washcloth?
We had to ask for the iPod compatible clock radio as listed in the room's amenities. A partially functioning one was delivered. It only told time - no alarm, no radio.
The smoke alarm started chirping at 3:00 a.m. My husband took it down but was unable to get the battery to release and did not want to force it so he took it down to the desk. Someone came at 11:00 next morning to replace it. Told it needed a new battery. Really!! Obviously the hotel is employing an unsafe practice of letting the batteries run down rather than replacing them at regular intervals.
Would we stay here again? Certainly not in a petite guest room! A small room is one thing but when the functionality of the room is severely compromised that is quite another. It is unfortunate the hotel does not acknowledge this. This combined with poor service (having to requesto basic amenities - nothing beyond a verbal apology for the interupted night's sleep); and misleading info on the website is quite off putting.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only a short distance from Central Park, the famed Museum Mile and Madison Avenue designer shops, The Franklin Hotel is the perfect Upper East Side getaway. Built in the 1930s, The Franklin Hotel is located at 164 East 87th Street. This romantic boutique hotel features 50 intimate guestrooms, daily complimentary continental breakfast from 7am-10am and daily wine & cheese reception from 5pm-6:30pm. Ideal for single travelers or couples, all guests enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi, complimentary NY Times & USA Today (in our lounge area), Philosophy bath amenities, and 24-hour cappuccino machine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Franklin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Franklin Hotel New York City
- Franklin New York City
- Franklin Hotel New York City