“we are in the hotel tonight...beautiful but needs work on service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Park Lane Hotel

Park Lane Hotel
Ranked #261 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Lake Charles, Louisiana
“we are in the hotel tonight...beautiful but needs work on service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

my wife and I love this hotel as we have stayed here 4 times in the past year. park view is awesome, restaurant park view is awesome. Food is good but expensive for NY. New ownership has apparently decided to save hotel instead of selling out for apartments, but somewhere in there all customer service has been lost. Harry's Bar is awesome, but we cant get peanuts or chips in bar to go with $19 cocktails and $25 burger and fries. Bar staff is awesome, but they are all thinking they are getting fired soon. it is dated I agree but classic and can once again be a great hotel. We honestly have called 3 times tonight to get 2 extra pillows for our room and after 2 hours (my wife is now asleep), a maintenance man brought 2 more. We tip good (there are lots of European people here who I'm not sure are used to tipping) and have had GREAT service from restaurant, bar, and housecleaning. We just love this place and want it to survive. Please enjoy a stay here, but hope one of the great employees who is staying and loyal is still here. PLEASE SAVE THIS WONDERFUL HOTEL people!!!!!! It and it's location is awesome....

Room Tip: get a park view...higher if possible, especially in winter with snow in park and rink...AWESOME
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,191)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Huge room, nice bathroom , comfortable bed. I know other reviews complained that hotels needed updating , and yes maybe some things were a little dated, but I didn't feel like anything was dirty or gross . For the price and location and size of room, it can't be beat. We were on the 4th floor, I thought the view of central park was Great and we didn't find it noisy at all. The hotel staff was great. things around the hotel, next door is sarabeth?..something like that..it was packed every time we walked by looked great for breakfast and lunch..Also out of the hotel go left then first left (7th?) You will find a small deli with great and cheap breakfast and a liquor store...just about everything you need!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Lane A, Manager at Park Lane Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you iliketravel67 for your recent review. We are pleased to hear all aspects of your stay were up to par. Sharing of your positive feedback is much appreciated and we look forward to your return visit.

Hickory, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

This place is very dated, but one can see that it must have been quite something in its heyday! I was panic-stricken when I discovered the paid Internet connection did not work at all! They removed it from my bill, but I had to go to another hotel close by so I could get online to work! I would definitely not come back here. It seems they no longer care about the place, but I was very happy with the concierge and front desk staff—helpful and understanding.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 808TaylorS
Lane A, Manager at Park Lane Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you traveler for your recent stay and feedback. We are glad to hear of the pleasant interaction with our Front Office and Concierge staff. Within the recent week the property has switched to a 200mb wireless system to increase speed and efficiency. There was some service down time during the process and for that we apologize. Please visit our property again in your future travels.

Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I really had hopes for this historic/classic hotel, but I regret that for the most part it has been a disappointment. It really needs some TLC. My room was large by NY standards and had some great views, but it desparately needs a redo...as does most of the hotel. Harry's bar, which has great memories, was also a disappointment...especially tonight when I wanted to bring a glass of wine up to my room and was told I could only take it in a paper cup because "room service won't return our wine glasses". This hotel is sandwiched between the Plaza and the Ritz..........you'd think wouldn't you?

Room Tip: Overlooking the park.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Lane A, Manager at Park Lane Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for the review of your recent stay at Park Lane New York. We are pleased to learn of your appreciation for the history and presence of the property. The hotel does its best at preserving the aurora and essence of the Helmsley tradition, while continuing to make improvements in aged areas. On behalf of hotel management, we apologize for the ill-advised information received at Harry’s Bar. We hope to welcome you back in the near future so we may illustrate the level of service Park Lane is accustomed to producing.

Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We arrived at the Park Lane Hotel on the 1st May and from the outside it looked impressive. On arrival we were not greeted with any hello or welcome..or anything. We queued in line at reception to check in, when we finally checked in a lady pushed in front of us complaining that the card for her room was still not working after three attempts of them trying to fix it. Once we were given our room key we were not given any information about the hotel such as where breakfast is, how much it is, where the bar was...NOTHING. A man that worked there then quickly grabbed our suitcases and took them into the lift (he didn't say a word to us) he then took us to our room, all of this took around one minute in total, when we got into our room we only had large notes and two dollar notes so I gave them to the man and apologised, explaining that's all I had as we had just arrived in New York..he literally snatched the money from me and slammed our door with such force that the do not disturb signs on the door fell on the floor!! I was disgusted at what a bad attitude he had.
Once we had unpacked I looked for a fridge in the room but all i could find was a hole in the wall where a fridge USED to be. I called reception and asked if there was meant to be a fridge in our room, to which I was told they would send one up straight away. 40 minutes later...no fridge. I then called again and was transferred to 4 different people and had to explain the situation to each one, I was finally told one would be there in 5 minutes. After 20 minutes there was still no fridge so I called back...this time I was transferred to three people, explaining the situation over again to each person, when i finally got through to the last lady she told me they had no fridges. When I asked why I was told that one was on its way TWICE she could not explain why. I then asked if I could store some medication in the hotel's fridge as it was important it was kept cold but she told me they could not do this as they did not want to be held responsible. Great.
When leaving to go out that night I queued at reception for a map but she told me they had run out but if I join the queue at the concierge desk they may have one...needless to say I could't be bothered to queue again but the receptionist couldn't care less. The customer service at this hotel was the worse I have ever experienced, even when checking out the guy Tom did not even ask how our stay was or if we needed a cab to the airport or if we needed to leave our suitcases there..not anything. Also the hotel website claims they have internet access...they do have this but you have to pay $12.50 a day for the privilege which is incredibly misleading. To top things up on the second day our room had been cleaned but a pair of dirty Nike socks were left on our window which did not belong to me or my Mum...I didn't really appreciate the gift from the cleaners.
All in all this was a very disappointing stay, the location was great but the hotel was dated and staff were rude. I will not be returning! On a lighter note the guy Raymond that looked after our suitcases before we went to the airport was very nice! well done Raymond

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Chantel B
Dear Chantel B,
It is a pleasure to connect with you, however unfortunate to do so under the negative circumstance. The Park Lane Hotel New York strives to provide the highest level of service and ultimate guest experience. On behalf of hotel management, we apologize for the overall inadequate guest experience and would love to welcome you back at the property for a true Park Lane New York stay. Please contact me directly via email to discuss further.

Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

On booking we requested floor above 30th and were told would be sorted. On arrival we're told we were on 11th so requested a move upward. On checking the receptionist offered us room on 45th. Fantastic city views. Good sized rom with comfortable bed. Large bath and a good powerful shower. Downside....no tea or coffee facilities in room, no free wifi, no fridge and no room service. Room cleaned, bed made etc every day though. Great little cafe in road behind hotel for tea, coffee etc . Communal areas all a bit tired.

Room Tip: As high as you can....over 30th floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lane A, Manager at Park Lane Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you valued traveler for your review. It is great to hear our Front Office staff continuously follows through on providing guest with the best available accommodations to meet their requests. Views from the 45th floor are nothing short of amazing and we are glad to hear you were able to experience. The hotel is full-service and does in fact offer Wi-Fi service at a premium, as well as room service food & beverage from morning through early afternoon. Guest room mini bars and fridges recently have been removed to equip space for new unit installation. Again, we thank you for you valued business and look forward to welcoming you back to the Park Lane New York!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

ohhh what a beautiful stay... our room was overlooking central park, very spacious, very big beds and the location is absolutely perfect. i was there for christmas and the viewn of central park covered in white is undescribable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Lane A, Manager at Park Lane Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for choosing the Park Lane Hotel New York. We are ecstatic to hear you enjoyed your stay at our property back in December. The accessibility and view of the Central Park area from our hotel during the Holidays is unparalleled. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!