“Tired: In Looks AND Attitude” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Park Lane Hotel

Park Lane Hotel
Ranked #262 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Vienna, Virginia
“Tired: In Looks AND Attitude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

As an avid NY visitor, I wanted to give my family an experience in an absolutely stunning location. I knew we'd pay a tad more for the room than say at one of the great Hilton's nearby, but to have a view like that and to be able to walk to Central Park South, the East Side, 5th Ave, 6th Ave in no time was worth it! Or so I thought...We got to the hotel, albeit a little early and had no trouble leaving the car. We checked in and not surprisingly, our room wasn't ready. No problem. We just would put our bags in storage and be on our way. Or so I thought. It took nearly 30, yes 30 minutes to secure a bellman to write me a ticket. Waste of time and incredibly frustrating. I even went to the concierge, Sal, who instead of being helpful and receptive, was standoffish and completely put off that I'd have the audacity to ask him to help me. Clearly his elitist ways could not possibly touch luggage. I also made the mistake of asking Sal, the concierge about a quite famous restaurant for brunch that I had a previous reservation and the best way to get there. "I've never heard of it." Really? The Breslin, at the ACE, attached to the world famous John Dory Oyster bar? I simply wanted to know the best way to get there. Thanks for telling me to drop money in a cab when it was a 15 minute walk, which I did, WITH my young kids on the way back. I watched him dealing with others during my 30 minutes in luggage purgatory and he was equally unhelpful, Finally got into our room on the 45th floor. Great view as I had expected, but the room was dank, tired and the furniture looked like it had been brought one floor below from Leona Helmsley's personal stash. Not well appointed at all and in desperate need of an upgrade. As it was for one night and considering I was glad to not be stuck without a place to hang my clothes, Later that afternoon, on our way to meet some people in Park Slope, I asked the quickest route to the F and R trains. Again, put off and clearly without knowledge this time of his own neighborhood. This guy has no business being a concierge, let alone in a has-been formerly 'iconic' property located in a prime area.
Beware of this place and understand what you're getting. The images are not what they appear to be, by a long shot. Yes it's NY and yes pictures don't tell the whole story, but this was an extreme case of bait and switch.

Room Tip: Above the 25th Floor either city or park views are great
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Peter H
Lane A, Manager at Park Lane Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Peter H,
Thank you for choosing the Park Lane Hotel New York. We greatly appreciate the opportunity bestowed in accommodating you and your family. It is unfortunate to learn of the difficulties encountered with our Bellman and Concierge team. The service areas will certainly be addressed with the team and strides will be made to improve overall service. The hotel would like to welcome you back with the opportunity to mend the relationship and provide a true Park Lane experience. Please feel free to contact me directly for any future hotel needs in NYC and we will ensure to offer the best available accommodations.

jfalco@parklanenewyork.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,177)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Alameda, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on a Saturday after learning plans to stay with a friend fell through. I wanted to stay near Central Park and so I booked the room for $200/night through Hotels.com.

Pros: fantastic location, spacious room, comfortable bed, good water pressure/shower experience, nice staff

Cons: constant mayhem in reception (lines and luggage everywhere...understaffed for sure), cheesy decor (faux brass paneling on hallway ceiling, dark and depressing), not very natural ingredients in soaps, shampoo, etc.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Kristy O
Dear Kristy O,
Thank you for choosing the Park Lane New York. We strongly believe our service exceeds the value pricing of guest rooms. Your positive notations are areas that have facilitated the developed a loyal customer base and illustrious reputation in the NYC hotel market. There are times when large clusters of arrivals/departures seek Front Desk assistance at the same time. We apologize if this caused delays at the desk and I truly hope your overall experience was not hindered. The Park Lane New York hopes to welcome you back in the near future.

Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 2 days in a park view room on the 15th floor. The view was amazing and worth the extra money. We had had breakfast in the park room, staff was very friendly and we enjoyed the view, but it was a little bit expensive. One negative was that they did not clean our room and we struggled to get hold of house keeping, but in the end it was sorted out and the room was cleaned. Overall a good stay and would recommend this hotel!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Annemi41
Dear Annemi41,
Thank you for sharing your guest feedback with the Trip Advisor online community and recommending our property to other readers. A Park view room is a feature of our guest rooms that certainly enhances the experience of staying at our hotel. If location and view is an important factor in determining where to stay I would strongly recommend choosing an Executive or Premier Category room type. You were able to do so and it clearly made all the difference. Our apologies in delayed Housekeeping service to your room. We are glad to hear this was sorted out and handled immediately. We look forward to your return visit in the near future. Warmest wishes from the Park Lane New York family.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

we arrived on July 5 and all expectations were surpassed, our room is new and very comfortable with a view of the city and no problem was found, all the staff are professional and attentive, we are grateful for the hospitality, hope to return soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Amleto B,
Thank you for choosing the Park Lane New York. Your positive feedback shared with the Trip Advisor online community is much appreciated.

New Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Came to new york city for my birthday weekend with me and my wife and kids. We booked this hotel because heard that the location was perfect with the scenic views. While New york City was fun, when we checked in the hotel, it was not so much clean. I personally went to the front desk and brought this to the attention. Front office Manager named "Ewelina Karpowicz" upgraded me to a Junior Suite the next day. Mind you the suite was located on the higher floor which made my birthday so much better. But she had something more on the plate for me. she also sent me a bottle of champagne and also personally delivered the birthday cake for me. I have to say, the front office manger Ewelina, she not only made my birthday weekend a good one, but that cake made my kids happy and my wife was very pleased with the service as well. Overall, New york city and this hotel made my birthday weekend a spectacular weekend. Thank you !! Definitely going to come back to the same place next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
1 Thank Shaks4us
Dear Shaks4us,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community and specific mentions of a positive interaction with one of our Front Desk Managers. At the Park Lane New York we aim to appease our guests from arrival and satisfy all requests. In the hospitality service industry, blunders do arise. What's most important are the actions that follow to rectify and ensure the remainder of the stay is impeccable. We enlist the talent of industry professionals that are passionate to provide the ultimate guest experience and make their mark by providing that special touch of service that distinguishes them from the competition. Ewelina did a fantastic job at taking the appropriate course of action, leaving a smile on the guest and great impression as they departed. We are glad to have contributed to a spectacular birthday weekend and look forward to welcoming you back next time!

Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

People of a certain age (and taste) will no doubt remember old issues of The New Yorker that contained remarkable advertisements vaunting the virtues of the various Helmsley-owned grand hotels in New York as managed by the self-styled Queen herself, wife of owner Harry Helmsley. In the eye-catching ads that showed the regally-clad and tiara-ed ‘Queen’, she was depicted as one who stood guard over the palaces and ensured that the lofty standards she had set for their hotels would always be maintained. Amongst these was the Park Lane Hotel, strategically located on Central Park South.

Through the years, this portrait of a high standard-bearing hotel has remained in one’s imagination, even if the Queen’s image herself was irremediably tarnished due to purported meanness and other misdemeanours. So it was with high expectations that we decided, on a recent visit to the Big Apple, to spend three days at the Park Lane. Not only were we excited at the prospect of its strategic location (in front of Central Park! right beside the legendary Plaza Hotel! a few steps away from chic and elegant places!) but we were also ‘seduced’ by the positive reviews we had read from people who had recently stayed at the hotel.

Alas, we were grievously disappointed. The location of course has not changed, but we were quite shocked at how shabby and unwelcoming the entire hotel seemed! Vestiges of some splendour remained (i.e. Venetian-type chandeliers) but oh, how the rest was just so banal. The reception hall was incredibly small and ill-staffed at 11 at night when we arrived. There was only one person at the reception desk even though there was quite a queue waiting to check in. It did not help that the client ahead of us had a problem with her reservation that required telephoning and/or emailing someone at the other end of the world! The bell-person who assisted with our luggage only seemed interested in the tip he would receive and did not, as is customary in other world-class hotels, show us the room’s ‘amenities’. And when we noted that one lamp was not working, brusquely said that housekeeping would take care of it.

A staff person at Reception gave us wrong information on where to change money; she assured us that we could change our money at a nearby Chase Bank branch, but on arriving there, the bank staff said we could do so ONLY if we had an account with them! We were finally able to do so at an Exchange office on Times Square. Surely hotel staff should know of this very basic touristic need?!

We were surprised that a small fridge had been stowed under the bathroom sink; and shocked that in order for the safe in the cupboard to work, it needed to be ‘swiped’ with a credit card!!! Never in all my years traipsing the world for work – and staying in many great and noteworthy hotels - did I ever encounter such a brazen idea to squeeze more money from the hapless (?) client. An ice bucket was prominently displayed in the room but we never received the ice that we had requested from Housekeeping.

I should say that the beds were very comfortable; the room’s furnishings still displayed a patina of fine taste and luxury (prints, nice reading lamps, fauteuils and a large mirror- all in the French fashion) that must have been installed during the erstwhile ‘Queen’s’ reign. We liked that thick bathrobes were furnished (but no slippers) and that an ironing board and flat iron were available. It would have been nicer though if a coffee machine and its accoutrements were also available in the room. Moreover we think the bathroom tiles showed much use and need to be replaced.

We liked that a hallway provided for privacy; but did not appreciate that the ‘DO NOT DISTURB’ sign did not have a ‘PLEASE MAKE UP ROOM’ on its verso. Thus when we left our room at 3 PM one day we found that it was NOT cleaned on our return late that night – even though we had told the maid that she could do the room when we left that afternoon…

On two positive notes, we loved the eponymous HARRY’s BAR (no relation whatsoever to the ones in Venice and Florence) so much that we frequented it throughout our stay. Despite having to replace a broken chair at our table (and finding the men’s bathroom locked late one evening so that one had to summon staff to unlock it), we had great fun at this oasis of a bar - luxuriating in its wood-panelled warmth, its wonderful made-to-order cocktails, the very courteous and discreet bartenders.

Also, the bell-person who helped us at the end of our stay was the very opposite of his night-time colleague – courteous, friendly, ensuring that we did not forget anything in the room and that we had all the tags for our left luggage.

We heard that the hotel had recently changed hands and was due for a major renovation – of its rooms, its restaurant, everything! If so, I would strongly recommend that management take a good look at the newly-opened and refurbished Prince de Galles Hotel in Paris. Here is understated luxury at its finest, where the welcome is sincere, where the staff are incredibly courteous and helpful, where the food is splendid, and which as a bonus also has location, location, location§

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank EloZ523
Dear EloZ523,
Thank you for choosing the Park Lane New York in your recent travels to NYC on leisure. The hotel is certainly an iconic staple property of midtown Manhattan with rapport of elegance and prestige from its Helmsley history. We greatly appreciate the guest feedback and use all notations to help facilitate the continuous improvement of service. The areas you outlined in detail will be monitored and addressed. The negative staff interactions from your stay contradict with the service standards that the Park Lane New York wishes to extend to guests. Concierge should only distribute accurate information and is to research and get back to the guest if they are unsure about a particular topic. Rest assured we will review with the team and conduct the necessary course of action to ensure our entire team is properly trained to assist in all areas. You deserve a much higher level of quality and service from the Park Lane Hotel team. I hope you’ll provide us with an additional opportunity to remedy the situation and change your impression of our service. Please do not hesitate to contact me upon your return visit to NYC. We will make sure you are provided our best accommodations and receive the ultimate guest experience.

Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We were on part of our honeymoon at the Park Lane Hotel. I reserved a room roughly 3 months ahead of time and paid for a king bed "guaranteed" to be park view between levels 10 & 27. When we arrived, they told us that they were sold out and that we'd have to take an "up-graded room" which was two small beds beside each other on the 8th or 9th floor (I don't remember which). I vented my frustration with the lady who was behind the desk. I told her that I paid almost $2000 ahead of time for four nights and expected more and asked if the first night would be taken care of at the hotel's expense. She said no and told me that she would give me free wifi; which just made me more angry.
Then the next day they told us that they would have a room ready for us in our regular room that we had paid for and that we could come back at any time to move in to the new room. Around 5:00 EST the front desk called me while we were in Little Italy and told us that we needed to be back at the hotel within an hour or an hour and a half if we wanted our new room... the one that we had paid for all along. So, we then cut our dinner short and came back to pack our bags and move. I was astonished at how a nice hotel could behave the way that they did. I might expect that from a motel on the side of an interstate; but not from a place like their hotel.

Room Tip: Don't get anything below the 15th floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank matt c
Dear Matt C,
Thank you for choosing the Park Lane New York in your recent travels to NYC. In response to your review, we would like to apologize for the mix up in room category on your reservation. There is certainly no excuse for your reserved room type to be downgraded to a lower floor with double bed accommodations. Our Front Office team does a phenomenal job at balancing the house prior to each days arrivals and departures, however there are instances where guests extensions and out of service rooms may cause an overbooking in a particular category. Once your room type was available the following day, the room is to be held with no pressure on the guest to arrive for the room move by a certain time. We would appreciate the opportunity to research the cause of this issue and provide the appropriate form of recovery for your inconvenience. Again, thank you for your feedback and your business. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me at your convenience. My contact details are listed below.

jfalco@parklanenewyork.com