“Great Hotel in the Big Apple!”
Review of Park Lane Hotel

Park Lane Hotel
Ranked #258 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Upon the strong recommendation of a friend, and after considering a wide variety of options we decided to stay at the Park Lane Hotel. What a GREAT choice!

From the moment we checked in we were treated like royalty by Celeny. We arrived a bit early, and there weren't many available clean rooms. She patiently searched the computer, phoned housekeepers, and found us a large room (by NY standards) with an incredible view of Central Park! Later that evening we were thoroughly surprised when a beautiful selection of fruits, homemade cookies, and a bottle of wine arrived to commemorate our anniversary.

The hotel is conveniently close to the subway, great shopping on 5th Avenue, and walking distance to amazing restaurants. When I go to NY I believe you have hundreds of dining choices outside your hotel doors - it's best to go explore and explore. As a result, we didn't dine in the restaurant or check out the legendary Harry's Bar...next time!

The hotel has recently remodeled it's fitness center with new state of the art equipment. The water was freezing cold and the towels were a nice touch. Perhaps a few newspapers or magazines would have been a nice addition.

All in all, I would highly recommend the Park Lane to guests looking for a safe, clean, centrally located hotel, that is as close to Central Park as you can get without actually being in the Park.

Room Tip: Ask for Central Park View!
Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Lane A, Manager at Park Lane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Steve B,
Thank you traveler for providing your feedback. We are ecstatic to hear of the pleasantries experienced throughout your stay. Celeny did a fantastic job at providing that special service touch that has left a lasting impression of the Park Lane New York. Please continue to spread the good word and we hope to welcome you back for a return visit.

Manager- Hotel Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (6,677)

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I'm surprised at all of the positive reviews. The hotel is so outdated...I don't think any upgrades have been made since Leona ran the place. The décor is seriously straight out of 1989. That being said, the view of central park was phenomenal....but I still wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nicki B
Lane A, Manager at Park Lane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Nicki B,
We are sorry to hear of your disatisfaction with the hotels furnishings. The Park Lane Hotel New York is a historic location of Midtown NY and the Central Park neighborhood. The intentions of Ownership and Management is to preserve the esteemed elegance of the Helmsley tradition and maintain the European design concepts of the original hotel developers. With that being said, there are upgrades, facelifts and rennovations continuously conducted throughout the building and within guest rooms to ensure luxury and comfort of our guests.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights/1 day and had chosen it mainly for the combination of both price and location. It was our third brief visit to New York and this time our main mission was to visit Central Park. So what better location than this hotel - right across the road! The price is also very reasonable and accordingly so. From the minute we arrived late in the evening, I could tell this hotel would have been truly grand in it's time - and it still possessed that 'old school' grandeur. The bellmen, foyer, reception, chandeliers and the room itself also had that wonderful air of 'what was, back then'. But I felt the services had been taken away leaving it with a little bit of an empty shell feeling. But I still loved it even so. The check-in was 'fine'... a slight computer malfunction so a bit delayed and then we were on our way to our room. From memory we were quite high up on level 28 I think. The view was half of Central Park and half of the city buildings. Quite impressive though. I liked the room, it felt 'old time luxury'. The bathroom though hadn't been updated so was a bit tired looking. But 2 sinks, a shower and even a bath (I love to have a bath option!). The mirror had lights all around it like a movie star's dressing room... it made me feel like Marilyn Monroe! So overall, first impressions brought a smile to my face - and late on a very cold, wet stormy New York night. However, my husband decided to put a couple of his beers in the fridge that night but much to our shock (then humour)... we found the fridge cupboard to be an ugly, empty hole where there obviously once WAS a fridge. It was then that we realised there was no mini bar, tea or coffee facilites nor room service/compendium. After this shock and humour had subsided... we called reception and asked if any of the rooms had a fridge. The answer was "no, but we can have one brought up to you if you like". Well, we thought this was both fabulous and highly amusing - although after 3 hours and 5 phone calls of chasing, this was finally delivered... the next morning. In the interim a lovely bellman had brought my husband up a bucket of ice for his beers at about midnight! But other than this, I loved our brief stay, the charm, the location and the appropriate price based on the class of accommodation/services provided. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Central Park.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear PrettyIsParamount,
On behalf of the Park Lane Hotel New York it was a delight on our part to have hosted your recent NYC visit and have contributed to an overall pleasant trip. Guest rooms amongst the mid floors of the hotel are often a popular preference since the Central Park view is elevated at the point where intricate details of the park are visible. The higher floors offer a broadened view of the park with an overview scenery perspective. To each their own and either view is truly amazing in its own distinct way. We apologize for the inconvenience due to lack of mini bar service in guest rooms. The hotel was experiencing an increasing number of malfunctioning units in the past and decided to remove for future replacement. We thank you for your patience and understanding at the current time where service is halted. Portable refrigerators are furnished upon request, as well as ice delivery. The hotel is in the process of installing a communal ice machine for guests that wish to retrieve on their own. Again, we thank you for your valued business and look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

New york has many fine hotels but not many have such a grand view of Central Park seen thru a large window overlooking this beautiful site. The rooms a lovely and large, which is a welcome sight with all the smaller rooms that are cropping up in many boutique hotels these days. The bar is very comfy as we has several family members sitting around having an after dinner drink. The dining room was large enough to give you a welcoming breath of expanse and the food was very good. I look forward to coming back at Christmas and walking 5th ave which is just up the street.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the park
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you Adavidcohen for your valued business and positive feedback. Five stars of quality, cleanliness and service are greatly appreciated; coming from a reputable and astute traveler such as yourself. Winter time in NYC is a splendid experience at the Park Lane New York. We look forward to welcoming you back over the Christmas season for an unforgettable holiday.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

In it's time the Park Lane Hotel was undoubtedly a hotel redefining the words splendor, grace and elegance. As one walks through, you can easily imagine what it might have looked like in an earlier day. This is still evident as you walk through its corridors despite the signs of its aging.

On the plus side, the hotel is located arguably in the best part of Manhattan, literally across the street from Central Park and central to just about everything. The beds were extremely comfortable and housekeeping was meticulous. The rooms could benefit from some additional sound insulation from the hallways but I've experienced worse.

These positive attributes are generally enough to make my stay in a hotel satisfactory, but they were quickly tempered with what seemed like the hotel management's overall attitude towards its patrons reflected in certain policies described below.

Room View
Upon arriving we were put in a room on the south or opposite side of Central Park. We asked for a room on the north side facing the park and were told we should have specified when we reserved which is fair. We were then told if we wanted a room overlooking the park we would have to pay $100 more per day. I interpreted this to mean that there were rooms available on the park but considering the fact we were already there, it would now cost us more. It should be noted there is no reference to this policy on the hotel website. The view my wife and I ended up sharing together is attached below. Described on their website as "elegant Guest Rooms and Guest Suites offer picture windows and superb views" I leave it the readers to determine its accuracy.

Amenities
When we got to our room I noticed there was no coffee machine. Upon inquiring I was told there were only a limited number of machines handed out on a first come first serve basis. I chuckled until I realized it wasn't a joke. To get our own coffee machine, we would have to get in line so to speak. So each morning I got dressed, went to the sandwich shop next door and bought our own coffee at $2 apiece. The only other option was room service or to buy it from a small vendor in the hotel lobby for $3 apiece. In most hotels and motels today, coffee machines are a standard item most travelers take for granted or at least complementary coffee in the lobby. Not according to this hotel.

Our room had a large flatscreen TV. Unfortunately none of the stations were in HD, and watching non-HD channels on a flatscreen TV is one of the worst ways to watch TV.

I had heard the hotel was undergoing major changes and the new management is trying to revitalize the image and reputation of this grand lady. The only suggestion to management I could offer is to demonstrate perhaps more consideration and respect towards your patrons not simply as a slogan on a website but in actuality. - Bob Menzies

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing North.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kwon99

Dear kwon99,
Thank you for choosing the Park Lane Hotel New York for your recent travels to NYC. It is with great pride that we welcome return visitors that have contributed to the longevity of the Park Lane New York and host a sentiment for the preservation of the hotels history. The hotels Central Park South location and Park view rooms are a main attraction for our guests. There are a reserved inventory of guest rooms with Park view accommodations that are categorized under Executive a Premier categories. Park view accommodations tend to sell out faster and more frequently than City view guest rooms. Any upsell options extended at check-in are a rate differential between the room category reserved and upgrade type. Surely in circumstances when the hotel has an additional inventory of Executive and Premier Rooms, we may extend as a courtesy. In-room coffee machines are available by request and may be limited to availability subject to our occupancy. Our Grab-and-Go cafe located in the hotel lobby serves gourmet coffee daily, along with a variety of breakfast menu options. Also high definition programming will be available for all channels on guest room televisions within the coming weeks. Apologies on behalf of the hotel for the delays in upgrading programming to compliment the new, 46" Samsung televisions now equipped in all rooms. We thank you for your valued business and customer feedback.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

My young son and I stayed here 2 nights last week. We really wanted to stay on Central Park South but couldn't afford the Plaza or the Ritz Carlton. The Park Lane was about 1/4 of the price (around $200 per night).
I called the hotel twice with questions and both times staff were nice and helpful. When we arrived, a valet took our car and we checked in immediately. A lot of reviewers mention a crowded lobby but we didn't experience that. The person that checked us in upgraded us to a king room on the 23rd floor and it was GIGANTIC!
A bellman took our bags upstairs and showed us the fridge, which we never would have seen (the bathrobes too). He gave my son a ride on the luggage cart all the way up to the room! Like I said, the room was HUGE. This is NYC and a room under $250! We had a very comfortable king-sized bed, a desk, comfy chair and a lot of space, something I've rarely seen in NYC. Clean too!
We hit the town and loved the fact that the park was across the street, as was the subway. We went downtown for dinner, then got off the subway at Times Sq. and walked back to the hotel.
Perfect location!
The AC wasn't as cool as it could be so I called and someone came up within 2 minutes and fixed it.
Room was cleaned by the time we returned from brunch at Sarabeth's the next morning. Quick!
Upon checkout, there was a line so a staff member came up and helped us. She took our keys and did a quick express check out for us, right then and there.
Bottom line - great, spacious room. Great price. Great location.
Potential drawbacks - it's not the Plaza - nothing too frilly, which was just fine for us!
Tip - speaking of the plaza - visit their food hall next door.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank tdijetta

Dear tdijetta,
It was a pleasure to read the recap of your recent visit. It looks like our staff did an amazing job at recognizing your preferences and needs and utilized that information to make a positive impact on your stay. We would love to welcome you back to the Park Lane Hotel New York so please consider us in your future travel arrangements.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I've stayed at Park Lane for my Bday! I love NY and I've stayed in different places before. Let me say something about the Hotel first. Great LOCATION! Amazing view of Central Park, even from floor 18th. I would totally stay again.
Just to mention the AMAZING personnel of the Hotel which actually makes the difference. DIANA P. she took the time to come to our room with fresh strawberries with chocolate because she knew from the check in that it was my bday! so sweet, professional and attentive. The Bell Men Rodney and Robby, that makes the difference at this Hotel. I would love to come back and stay again!

Room Tip: Upper rooms are better for the view. No noise, it's a classy old NY Building. Nothing to complai...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lane A, Manager at Park Lane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Marina917FAO,
Thank you for sharing the pleasantries from your recent stay at the Park Lane New York. We certainly will share your notations of our staff members and commend a job well done! It is the service standards set for our Front Office and the teams determination to consistently that drives the ongoing success of our hotel. Your business is greatly appreciated and we hope to welcome you back soon.