“Coming home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lombardy Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Lombardy Hotel
Ranked #260 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Coming home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

We hadn't stayed here for a few years but it was just like coming home. You know a hotel is well-run when the staff never change. Our one-bedroom apartment had everything we needed including a truly comfortable bed and our own kitchenette. An addition since we last stayed-a branch of 9th Street Espresso off the lobby with a free coffee and pastry for guests every morning. What a great idea! Can't wait to return

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BertChrisHooty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Polish first
Burlingame, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

I never stay in N.Y.C. hotels. I grew up there and my parents are still in the same apartment but I decided to give myself a little bit of 'space' as I descended onto NYC for an intense week of rehearsals for a concert at Lincoln Center in mid February.
I needed peace and quiet. I needed to be able to work on music and sing quietly and rest.
I wanted to be walking distance from rehearsals.
I wanted to be close to subways and shopping.
I found everything at the Lombardy.
I knew the hotel from childhood when our family doctor occupied an office on the second floor.
My room was quiet and spacious.
It faced 56th street but I don't recall any street noise.
At night I could open the window to chill the room down because I'm used to cold houses in Northern California.
The bathroom was appropriately grand.
The whole place has the feel of New York from long ago before Trump took over.
A time when Bette Davis had an apartment here.
The neighborhood has everything from Bloomingdale's to the perfect juice/smoothie spot right around the corner on Lexington.
I learned my music.
The night doorman told me stories about the building and it's tenants.
I was very happy here at the Lombardy.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank jodylueza
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

This was the second time I stayed at the Lombardy, and it's gotten considerably worse. I think that it's incumbent upon staff to make sure that a room is ready for the guest. But here were the problems:

1. There's no central air, and I walked into the room and the window heater was off, so it took a couple of hours to get warm (New York in February.

2. There were two bulbs out in the lighting and the safe in the closet had to be reset by the engineer before it worked.

3. No one had tested the TV, and so I had to call for the engineer to come and get it running.

4. They have a nice little gym in the basement, and all of the machines are equipped with plug-ins for headphones to listen to the big screen TV, but none of them were connected, and the engineer had no idea what to do.

5. No umbrellas for guests in the snowstorm.

6. The guest printer (for printing out boarding passes) was not working and the desk manager couldn't fix it.

7. The tiny bathroom has a stall shower without a full enclosure. I used more towels to wipe up the water overflow than I did drying my body.

8. The room they gave me was on the 2nd floor with a window facing the street. Anyone looking from the sidewalk could see in. Small wonder that the window has TWO blackout shades (I guess in case you break one).

9. My room in October was larger, had a full kitchen and a bigger bathroom. Looks like I shouldn't have booked on Expedia.com.

10. Conclusion: Unless you get an incredible deal, don't come here.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the street and at least up on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank willie90212
Montecito, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

My friends and I occupied a two bedroom suite and a studio on our recent visit to New York. A friend told me about The Lombardy a couple of years ago and I thought it might be a good location for our jaunts around New York....and it was.There are many good restaurants in the area,easy walk to great shopping and museums, short walk to Central Park...all in all,exactly what we were looking for.Our suite and studio were spacious with plenty of light and modern furnishings.I have already made a return reservation for this Spring. Thanks,Lombardy for a comfortable stay in New York.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank reelwoman
Austell, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

Its entirely possible that the 5-star review has been colored slightly by my horrible stay at the millennium Broadway. I moved off-broadway after the ball drop to save a little money(200 per night) and am so glad I did because the level of service offered by the lombardy is so much better than the millennium Broadway. their over-the-top commitment to service is the primary reason that I gave them 5 stars.

there are things you expect at a hotel: shampoo, basic cable and stationary; and things you don't : chocolate on the pillows, a door man who comes to your car with an umbrella in the rain, a second turn-down in the same day. the Lombardy delivered on everything. Even though its not dead center of new york, its still just a 6.00 cab ride to get downtown, and a short walk to central park.

the room was nice, though the decorations were very modern and didn't mesh with my style, but it was clean and well done. the room has a full sized fridge, microwave and toaster oven which is nice, along with an odd assortment of dishes which I imagine came from a local thrift store, but it suited my needs. the room service wasn't good. I would recommend you avoid it like the plague.

overall though, I was very happy.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank diplomacy42
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

I'm a frequent traveller to New York and had liked the appearance of the Lombardy, with it's impressive, traditional exterior and warm inviting lobby. On first look I also liked the size of the room i.e. very large with two televisions and a kitchen area. However, I then discovered the close proximity of what was evidently a 24 hour construction site (which was either really loud or the sound-proofing in the room was pretty non-existent - though to be fair, it was a street-facing room so maybe one at the back would have been better). Secondly, the wi-fi is the worst I've ever experienced - actually, it finally failed completely so I had to send some emails from the office the next day. Then, fast forward to 5.30am when I woke up to the sound of the construction site outside, my salvation could have come in the form of strong coffee since there was afterall, the gleaming kitchen and coffee maker. However, after a frustrating search for coffee supplies, I called the front desk to find out where they were hidden only to find out that no, there are no coffee supplies (despite the coffee maker!) and breakfast wouldn't start until 7am, though I was advised there's a place on the street outside where I could get some coffee. After that, I checked-out promptly and went in search of the nearest Starbucks - though since I still had emails to send from the night before, an early departure was on the agenda anyway! That aside, the location is very good and the rooms could accommodate 4 or 5 people, though for a business traveller who has minimum expectations of a room (including sleep), I would not recommend, particularly since this charges standard business-level room rates and is not a "budget" property.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back and make sure of the noise outside before you keep the room
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Rosemary S
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

The Lombardy Hotel fit our needs perfectly. The room was very large (900+ square feet), two nice TVs, a full kitchen, nice bathroom and was beautifully decorated. Living room had a very nice sofa and loveseat combination. Elevators were fast. Housekeeping was very efficient.

Hotel is a short walk to Central Park, Times Square, 5th Avenue, Rockefeller Center, Broadway and other major attractions. Jacuzzi had some issues, but other than that it was the perfect hotel.

I will return.

Room Tip: Ask for the King Suite
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends