“Elegant, European style hotel”
Review of Lowell Hotel

Lowell Hotel
Ranked #221 of 468 Hotels in New York City
New York City
“Elegant, European style hotel”
Reviewed 19 October 2007

We had just escaped a nervous experience driving through Newark and arrived to the warmth of the Lowell with relief. The staff were welcoming and helpful. The lobby is nothing special and a bit dark.

The rooms however are sumptuous and elegant. We had lovely beds, high quality carpeting, pillows, sheets, comforters, etc. The bathroom was also full of marble and rich fixtures.

The room service was ridiculously expensive but served with fine china and silver and done in a classy fashion.

We love the location being in a residential neighborhood not far from central park on the east side.

If you're looking for an elegant, european style (small and luxurious) hotel that you can't go wrong with the Lowell.

Stayed April 2006
7 Thank laabis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Punta del Este, Uruguay
Reviewed 18 August 2007

Hoping that being marketed by the Leading Small Hotels of the World would be a good thing, we booked a 4 night stay here. We arrived to a woman complaining to the check-in desk that the bar wouldn't serve her alcohol. The person at the check-in desk actually started to argue with her, and voices started rising. This should have been enough information to have us turning on our heels...but we were exhausted from a transatlantic flight and gave it a try.
Mistake. The room was tiny and noisy. The bathroom had that musty smell that New York City bathrooms get after 20 years. We couldn't sleep because of the honking taxi cab horns. We checked out after one night and moved to another hotel.

• Stayed December 2004
19 Thank TrickyTT4628
Dallas
Reviewed 17 July 2007

The Lowell is a truly rare find in New York City - a wonderful location with gracious staff and distinctive rooms! I literally booked the room minutes before arriving and yet was met on my arrival like a returning family member. No-one even batted an eye when I checked-in sans luggage as I had not planned for an overnight stay in the city. Within minutes of being shown to my room a small assortment of toiletries was delivered -- a hair brush, tooth brush/paste, etc. Coupled with the yummy Bulgari toiletries I was set for a night of pampering!

The room itself was a dream. It was beautifully decorated in a personal home way, large, well-lit and had french doors leading to a terrace which ran the length of my room. And the bathroom was huge complete with double sinks and lovely window (more light) and heated marble floors. I could move right in!

A small kitchen is cleverly hidden behind what appears to be a closet door. It comes complete with a refrigerator, microwave, small cooktop and dinnerware. Did I mention I could move right in?

The staff was gracious and kind. I ordered a tea service for dinner and it arrived within 15 minutes. About 9pm I ordered a snack and it to was at my door in minutes -- but the biggest surprise was the excellent quality of the room service food. When leaving the next morning the doorman ran between Madison and the hotel to locate a taxi for me if the rain. Now how often does that occur?

Beg, borrow and plead but do stay here your next visit to NYC. They absolutely have me as a client for life!

• Liked — Gracious staff members, personal service, location, decor, all the natural light in my room
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank brooksz
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 July 2007

I loved the Lowell! After staying there for 3 nights, I must agree with the other reviews: great personable service, spotless rooms with all the right touches, great location for shopping and dining... The small size of this hotel is great for women travelling alone (like myself).

PS: Avoid the restaurant across the street : "Le Bilbouquet" when the part time hostess "Anna" works (she was there on July 8th), her displays of rudness, unaccommodating demeanor and pompous behavior will ruin your New York experience. Ask your doorman before you go. I wished I had! It seems that she's been there for 30 years and you should just avoid her if you want to taste their food.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — elevators
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 July 2007

The Lowell was good-definitely an upmarket luxury hotel-but I found myself wanting more for the high price I was paying.

On the upside, the suite I stayed in was spacious and had great natural light. The bathroom was terrific-stocked with Bulgari products and the folks at the front desk were incredibly helpful, especially John Mark the concierge who helped me recover and forward my luggage which the airline had lost.

On the downside, there were a few things in the suite that seemed tired: bits of wallpaper peeling at the corners and scuffs and chips in the baseboards etc. They were relatively small but nonetheless irksome at that price level.

I found the room service to be excellent for a hotel, though the continental breakfasts were seriously lacking.

• Liked — The friendly service
  • Disliked — The fact that our room really needed a new coat of paint
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank EtherealKotuku
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 31 March 2007

My husband and I checked into the Lowell Hotel a week before Christmas. Our plan was to stay in New York for 3 nights before heading off to St. Moritz for a Christmas ski trip. Things often do not go as planned, and my husband got very sick in New York. The Lowell Hotel was so fantastic to us. They made a Dr's appointment on Christmas Eve for my husband, and when it was decided he could not fly to Europe because he was very sick with the flu, we could not continue our trip, the conceirge at the hotel helped us cancel our reservations for air, and hotel, and train tickets in Europe, and the hotel extended our room reservations over Christmas. We stayed at the hotel for one week, and the conceierge, and desk staff could not have been kinder to us . We appreciated everything they did for us, including all the little extras. I would never stay at another hotel. If you want, small intimate, great location, low key hotel, with the most perfect staff in town, this hotel is for you.

• Liked — smaller hotel, great location, great staff, great bedding
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank skinanny
Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 March 2007

Having recently joined the FHR program at American Express, this gem of property is back on my list, and it was a real treat to return. I've stayed there for many times over more years than I care to admit, including with my dear departed mum when I was a teen. It's more than just the fireplaces and the homey shelves full of real booksThere is something magical about the way the Lowell mixes glamour with gracious hospitality, and something admirable about they way they keep the rooms fresh without losing that slightly old-fashioned feeling. I think one of the keys to their success is the door and bell staff, who just couldn't be nicer or more efficient without being pretentious or oily.

My major problem with the hotel when I stopped staying there a few years ago was the lack of broadband, and not only have they fixed that, it's free! All top hotels know they have us at their mercy in this regard and can charge a lot. To me that decisions says a lot about the management of the Lowell, and their understanding that the guest goodwill norn of gestures like this one is extremely useful in the times when occupancy rates are falling today's heady levels.

For anyone traveling with children or who likes to self-cater, the Lowell has marvelous little kitchenettes that allow you to save on room service. We have had wonderful brunches with quiches from Fauchon, and the staff are nice about bringing set-ups.

This is just a wonderful place to stay, and after a big wearying day in the great city, it really does feel like home.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled on business