“Wonderful, clubby luxury”

Ranked #238 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Dallas
“Wonderful, clubby luxury”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

This is a wonderful, clubby small luxury hotel. For some trips and purposes, it is the best hotel in the City. The rooms are spacious and well furnished, but not ostentatious. A very pleasant place to sit and read or discuss the next outing. The staff are quiet, completely competent and just friendly enough. This hotel is a throwback to the 1920s, with a high level of personal service. But, it isn't for everyone. This is not high concept or high style in the modern sense. The décor is clubby Victorian. Your grandmother would think it wonderful, but your teenage daughter will likely prefer the edgier Crosby Street or one of the Trump properties. Your European friends will be horrified. However, for a couple's weekend to the City where you want to be on the East Side and want everything to be and work perfectly without drama, it was great for us. From the lovely complimentary fruit bowel to the perfect coffee at breakfast, it was all just right. The price is high, and there won't be anyone visible to share your ability to pay these rates with, but if that is what you want, you need to be at the Four Seasons. No bar, but 24 hour room service. All in all, one of our favorite places.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Alexandra F, Guest Relations Manager at Lowell Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your experience and view of The Lowell! Everyone certainly needs to find their own style of hotel and it seems like you have found yours which we are excited to hear. Next year we will be launching our new restaurant by the lobby level of the hotel, hopefully, you will be able to visit us and try out the bar!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

I talked my husband into staying overnight at The Lowell since we were attending an evening wedding. I had stayed at the hotel a couple of years ago and thought it was great but this time it surpassed"great!" My husband who is harder to please loved it too. The staff were so friendly and accommodating. Location was great and breakfast was delicious!

• Stayed June 2013
Alexandra F, Guest Relations Manager at Lowell Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
I am thrilled to hear that both you and your husband enjoyed your most recent visit at The Lowell and that we exceeded your expectations! I will share your kind words with my colleagues whom all have contributed to making your stay enjoyable. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon again for another delightful visit.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I'm not that familiar with New York, but I have an expectation of a bold style and service, especially in this part of the city. The Lowell Hotel was in every measure a wonderful confirmation of that. And if the Lowell is any glimpse of a top tier hotel in New York, then we're doing pretty good on the world stage. I stayed two days & two nights at the Lowell for a relative's wedding, and from the first minute, I knew that I was going to be happy. It is a quiet hotel with large clean rooms and a very helpful and attentive staff. It is not a large hotel as such, but I was generally impressed with the layout, which made it very easy to walk around or get to your room quickly. What struck me every time I walked in the lobby was how handsome the hotel is - not stodgy or old fashioned but long on class. I've found my favorite hotel in New York.

Only complaint - the kitchenette was a little worn, and the kitchenette floor looked like it needs a cleaning.

Last thing.. I would go to the Lowell just to dine in the Pembroke room, and I mean it was terrific.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank DavidG958
Alexandra F, Guest Relations Manager at Lowell Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We also appreciate and value your comments in regards to the kitchenette. We are hoping to be able to welcome you back in the near future for another terrific stay!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 June 2013

My Mother and I arrived in driving rain for Afternoon Tea at the Pembroke. The front desk staff person was very accomodating to help us find a place to make our soggy selves presentable. We then proceeded to the Pembroke. What a gracious, perfectly appropriate, relaxing, QUIET room! Our waiter, Steve, was extremely knowledgeable about the teas and advised us well. Lowell Blend and Oolong teas, sandwiches, fruit tarts, and jams for the scones were our favorites. We noticed that Steve, by himself, competently handled at least 5 tables with just the right amount of attention. After a lovely tea time, we had to get to our next destination ASAP. Still raining. The doorman, Sergei, pursued cabs for several minutes IN HEAVY RAIN IN NYC and got us a wonderful car service, which smoothly wisked us away. Sergei and Alex - OUR HEROES. The decor and refined atmosphere of the Lowell are hard to outshine, however the Hotel Staff are the true stars of this wonderful hotel with their exceptional and cordial service. Loved it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Holly W
Dear Holly W,
It is such a pleasure to hear that you and your mother had a ‘Top Notch’ experience while visiting us at The Pembroke Room for Afternoon Tea, from the beginning to the end! I have passed on your kind comments to my colleagues and we hope to welcome you back to dine with us soon again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Everything is right for this beautiful boutique hotel. From the luxurious floral arrangements upon your entrance to the understated elegance of the rooms and those spa-like bathrooms. A real treat in the middle of Manhattan.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
I am thrilled to read your kind words! I will ensure share them with the rest of The Lowell Family and our design office. We hope that you will visit us for another treat in the near future!
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My girlfriends and I recently enjoyed a wonderful afternoon tea at the Pembroke Room. The service was excellent and the room was very pretty. It is a small intimate room and I felt like we were in a jewel box at a small palace in France. For a group of 8 pr more , the group has to,select 3 teas, I suppose it helps make service more efficient. We picked themLowell blend, the Harmony and the Peat. Everyone loved the Lowell, nobody like the Pear. The staff kept our cups full and were very attentive. We all had the classic tea and had a variety of petite sandwiches, pastries and scones. We each got 4 pieces of sandwiches, and two tiers filled with the pastries like macaroons,,tarts, petit fours. However we only got one tiny scone each ...it was too firm for my taste and really small. I wish we had way fewer pasties and more scones. I enjoy scones and have been to many different places, including England and this definitely did not have good scones. So, if you want an intimate , elegant room, and re not too picky with the scone, do come and enjoy this lovely place.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mychinita
Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your experience! We value your feedback and will use it in order to improve our products for our Afternoon Tea service. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to The Pembroke Room soon again!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2013

It's funny that many of the reviews mention the fact that this hotel is not very well known! I can concur, as when I got to JFK and took a shuttle bus neither the bus driver or the computer with the list of hotels in NYC had heard of it. It has to be one of NYC's best kept secrets. Location is excellent for shopping, next to central park, 30 mins walk to many museums. Warm welcome on arrival with complimentary drinks. The room itself was large by NYC standards and beautifully decorated. Excellent bed and a quiet location lead to restful nights sleep. We never ate at the hotel with the exception of afternoon tea in our room, this too did not disappoint. Would recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Alexandra F, Guest Relations Manager at Lowell Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
I am thrilled to read your kind words in regards to your recent stay and I am glad that you enjoyed it. I will share your comments with the rest of the Lowell Family. We hope that we will be able to welcoming you back to The Lowell in the near future!