“Intimate and elegant!”

Ranked #192 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Intimate and elegant!”
Reviewed 11 July 2007

I loved the Lowell! After staying there for 3 nights, I must agree with the other reviews: great personable service, spotless rooms with all the right touches, great location for shopping and dining... The small size of this hotel is great for women travelling alone (like myself).

PS: Avoid the restaurant across the street : "Le Bilbouquet" when the part time hostess "Anna" works (she was there on July 8th), her displays of rudness, unaccommodating demeanor and pompous behavior will ruin your New York experience. Ask your doorman before you go. I wished I had! It seems that she's been there for 30 years and you should just avoid her if you want to taste their food.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — elevators
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 July 2007

The Lowell was good-definitely an upmarket luxury hotel-but I found myself wanting more for the high price I was paying.

On the upside, the suite I stayed in was spacious and had great natural light. The bathroom was terrific-stocked with Bulgari products and the folks at the front desk were incredibly helpful, especially John Mark the concierge who helped me recover and forward my luggage which the airline had lost.

On the downside, there were a few things in the suite that seemed tired: bits of wallpaper peeling at the corners and scuffs and chips in the baseboards etc. They were relatively small but nonetheless irksome at that price level.

I found the room service to be excellent for a hotel, though the continental breakfasts were seriously lacking.

• Liked — The friendly service
  • Disliked — The fact that our room really needed a new coat of paint
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank EtherealKotuku
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 31 March 2007

My husband and I checked into the Lowell Hotel a week before Christmas. Our plan was to stay in New York for 3 nights before heading off to St. Moritz for a Christmas ski trip. Things often do not go as planned, and my husband got very sick in New York. The Lowell Hotel was so fantastic to us. They made a Dr's appointment on Christmas Eve for my husband, and when it was decided he could not fly to Europe because he was very sick with the flu, we could not continue our trip, the conceirge at the hotel helped us cancel our reservations for air, and hotel, and train tickets in Europe, and the hotel extended our room reservations over Christmas. We stayed at the hotel for one week, and the conceierge, and desk staff could not have been kinder to us . We appreciated everything they did for us, including all the little extras. I would never stay at another hotel. If you want, small intimate, great location, low key hotel, with the most perfect staff in town, this hotel is for you.

• Liked — smaller hotel, great location, great staff, great bedding
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank skinanny
Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 March 2007

Having recently joined the FHR program at American Express, this gem of property is back on my list, and it was a real treat to return. I've stayed there for many times over more years than I care to admit, including with my dear departed mum when I was a teen. It's more than just the fireplaces and the homey shelves full of real booksThere is something magical about the way the Lowell mixes glamour with gracious hospitality, and something admirable about they way they keep the rooms fresh without losing that slightly old-fashioned feeling. I think one of the keys to their success is the door and bell staff, who just couldn't be nicer or more efficient without being pretentious or oily.

My major problem with the hotel when I stopped staying there a few years ago was the lack of broadband, and not only have they fixed that, it's free! All top hotels know they have us at their mercy in this regard and can charge a lot. To me that decisions says a lot about the management of the Lowell, and their understanding that the guest goodwill norn of gestures like this one is extremely useful in the times when occupancy rates are falling today's heady levels.

For anyone traveling with children or who likes to self-cater, the Lowell has marvelous little kitchenettes that allow you to save on room service. We have had wonderful brunches with quiches from Fauchon, and the staff are nice about bringing set-ups.

This is just a wonderful place to stay, and after a big wearying day in the great city, it really does feel like home.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank FlyingOwl
Los Angeles
Reviewed 4 January 2007

My brother and I booked one of the signature suites (the Lowell Suite) for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day -- we wanted to host an open house on New Year's Day. The suite, with its working fireplace, impressed New Yorkers and visitors alike. Arranging a buffet in the suite took all of two e-mails. We also ordered room service for eight people at 3:00 am on New Year's Eve, and the food arrived promptly and was delicious. There were some small glitches during the week-end, but the staff were always exemplary, and promptly corrected anything that I brought to their attention. I strongly recommend the Lowell to anyone who wants the conceit of being "At Home" in New York.

• Stayed December 2006
1 Thank Los_Feliz_Traveler
Glendale, CA
Reviewed 31 March 2006

My husband was relunctant to go to New York City, so I tried to be very careful and get a hotel he might like.

The Lowell definitely fit the bill. The room was large (for New York standards) with a small kitchenette. The service was outstanding and the food was great. I would definitely stay here again.

The only thing I would change is I wouldn't eat at the Post House again. I ordered my steak medium and the inside was still raw. From what I could see of the other steaks served, this was typical.

8 Thank Hates_Flying
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 January 2006

I read, did research and really poured my heart into finding a great top-of-the-line hotel for an Oct trip to NYC. I had a difficult travel companion and thus wanted a hotel that catered to her every need. The Lowell DID live up to this expectation. They were always there when we needed them and treated my travel companion with respect even though she can be rude, impatient and otherwise difficult to manage. The place was a little too fancy (and almost too snobby at times) for my taste (completely personal) but nonetheless, it was still a very classy hotel that is in a league of its own.

HOWEVER THIS IS WHERE THE PRAISE FOR THE LOWELL HOTEL ENDS!!

We had made some large purchases in NYC and needed to have some items shipped home. I told staff the package was fragile and that we needed to buy insurance for $3,000. The items arrived to our home in the original bag I had given the staff to pack, in a box with no bubble wrap or other cushion and that was about double the size necessary for the contents inside. In addition, very little tape had been used to secure the package. Needless to say, about $300 worth of items arrived broken. The shipper denied the insurance claim for $300 because of the poor packing of the fragile items.

Given the caliber of The Lowell Hotel and how they are known for such intimate personal service, I just expected much more from them on handling the package. Besides the obvious lack of packing material inside a box 2x too big for the bag shipped, they just put the bag (which was incredibly heavy with glass and lead crystal balls and bowls) in the box. Placing the order for $3,000 worth of insurance should at a minimum have been a flag for the staff to take additional steps to ensure the package was shipped securely.

However, that was not even the worst part of the whole experience. I had several conversations on the phone with the hotel staff and the lead manager, expending a lot of effort to make my case as to why the hotel should pay our $300 claim. The hotel denied ever being told the package was fragile (thus, in effect, implying I was lying). And the manager participated in a very lengthy dicker-and-ticker with me trying to explain rational reasons why the package was handled in the way that it was. We spent over $4,000 at The Lowell and yet, they decided to put me through a grueling, tiring batter of the blame game in order to avoid paying a measly $300 claim. Never once did they offer anything for my troubles and damaged items. Not even 10% off our next stay in The Lowell; not that I would even stay there for free now.

In closing, The Lowell is a good, nice hotel and I hate to see them treat a customer this way, particularly one that spent so much there. I guess a $4,000 hotel bill is a pretty measly chunk of change compared to their usual clients and they don't mind losing us. Maybe we did not live up to the ideal of a Lowell client. Whatever the reason, they should have paid the $300 claim, written it off as a loss and subsequently ended up with a very satisfied client happy to come back any time. Instead, their actions have produced this review and created bad word-of-mouth into the general circulation of a well connected and influential former client.

My ex-boyfriend's name is Lowell too. I should have known trouble would be around the corner!!

• Stayed October 2005