Having won this on priceline for 150$ for my arrival night in New York, I was very happy with the location as it is very close to my beloved Bryant Park.
Turns out, location is about the only good point of this hotel.
I knew rooms were small and rather dark…I was not prepared for this kind of dark….even at 11 AM I could hardly see anything. The same goes for the elevators, as mentioned in a previous review.
When I arrived, the doorman welcomed me by asking how I was…this made me look up and trip over the threshold. I almost said: ‘about to sue you…’ I didn’t say this, I never say things like this, I wish I would sometimes do say things like this…
It made him feel guilty, though, and he did help me with my bag, which he probably regretted as my days of travelling light seem to have disappeared.
Check in went smoothly and I got my key. Going up in the elevator….where the heck are the buttons, oh….press your nose to the board and you might see them….the room…woah, small and dark!! Bathroom: small, but efficient and clean enough. Towels? What, only 3 very small ones? What do I dry myself with???
Well, let’s take a shower first, I was all sweaty from the tiring trip. When I was about to stop into the shower, the phone rang…huh? It was reception, my credit card bounced (they want a 50$ deposit for extras). My credit card bounced??? Oh boy, this had my adrenaline level go up a few notches! The internet was down as well, and I think some phone lines….. I paid cash before going out for diner. Tried my credit card at a deli and luckily it worked fine…phew!
As it was my arrival date, I came home early and tried to watch some TV. Boy, difficult system. It will guide you through all pay TV before you get to the ‘normal’ options….I watched 2 episodes of the Big Bang before going to sleep. When I needed the bathroom at night, it turned out it had a threshold as well, and I dearly stubbed my toes…..I had not noticed this level differenced earlier….
The bed was comfortable enough, but all in all, as the title shows, I was not impressed.
I would only just consider this worth the 150$ (excl tax) I paid, only just and only considering the ridiculous hotel prices in the city and the wonderful location of the Mansfield. I would certainly NOT consider it worth the normal price.
I will most probably NOT stay here again.
Oh, I almost forgot the most important thing!!! Even though my credit card ‘bounced’, they did charge me 22$....! I was in NY for an extended period, so when they didn’t answer my email on the matter, I went by….I thought maybe I had pressed a wrong button fiddling with the TV remote and was accidently charged for pay TV…..but no, for a Chardonnay, which I certainly did not have. I would be refunded and it would show on my account within a few days. It did not, so one week later I went back again….comment: ‘ah, I don’t know what happened’….me ‘seems to go on quite a bit at this hotel.’ On both visits I asked to see the manager, which seemed to upset staff a bit….on both occasions I was offered a free bottle of water to butter me up (I refused, I don’t accept freebies from places I don’t like). In the end, the refund was done, but what still baffles me is how they could charge my cc if it bounced in the first place???
oh, but the 24/7 coffee in the library was nice and hot!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An architectural and historical landmark, The Mansfield is a portal to a New York City of days gone. Guests of the hotel appreciate its club-like surroundings and superb craftsmanship, as illustrated by the lobby’s detailed illuminated 16-foot ceiling and oval staircases with original terrazzo floors. The Mansfield is located just off of Fifth Avenue at 44th Street, residing within the historic preservation district of Midtown Manhattan, and deep in the heart of the Theater District. The hotel is within a short walk of the finest Fifth Avenue stores, Bryant Park, Times Square, Broadway, Grand Central Station, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden and the Radio City Music Hall. Guests can enjoy complimentary 24-hour espresso and cappuccino in the hotel's classically-restored Beaux-Arts Club Room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Southall Travel, Ebookers, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Mansfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mansfield Hotel New York City
- Mansfield New York City
- Mansfield Hotel New York City