“Not impressed”

Ranked #347 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Netherlands
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Having won this on priceline for 150$ for my arrival night in New York, I was very happy with the location as it is very close to my beloved Bryant Park.
Turns out, location is about the only good point of this hotel.
I knew rooms were small and rather dark…I was not prepared for this kind of dark….even at 11 AM I could hardly see anything. The same goes for the elevators, as mentioned in a previous review.
When I arrived, the doorman welcomed me by asking how I was…this made me look up and trip over the threshold. I almost said: ‘about to sue you…’ I didn’t say this, I never say things like this, I wish I would sometimes do say things like this…
It made him feel guilty, though, and he did help me with my bag, which he probably regretted as my days of travelling light seem to have disappeared.
Check in went smoothly and I got my key. Going up in the elevator….where the heck are the buttons, oh….press your nose to the board and you might see them….the room…woah, small and dark!! Bathroom: small, but efficient and clean enough. Towels? What, only 3 very small ones? What do I dry myself with???
Well, let’s take a shower first, I was all sweaty from the tiring trip. When I was about to stop into the shower, the phone rang…huh? It was reception, my credit card bounced (they want a 50$ deposit for extras). My credit card bounced??? Oh boy, this had my adrenaline level go up a few notches! The internet was down as well, and I think some phone lines….. I paid cash before going out for diner. Tried my credit card at a deli and luckily it worked fine…phew!
As it was my arrival date, I came home early and tried to watch some TV. Boy, difficult system. It will guide you through all pay TV before you get to the ‘normal’ options….I watched 2 episodes of the Big Bang before going to sleep. When I needed the bathroom at night, it turned out it had a threshold as well, and I dearly stubbed my toes…..I had not noticed this level differenced earlier….
The bed was comfortable enough, but all in all, as the title shows, I was not impressed.
I would only just consider this worth the 150$ (excl tax) I paid, only just and only considering the ridiculous hotel prices in the city and the wonderful location of the Mansfield. I would certainly NOT consider it worth the normal price.
I will most probably NOT stay here again.

Oh, I almost forgot the most important thing!!! Even though my credit card ‘bounced’, they did charge me 22$....! I was in NY for an extended period, so when they didn’t answer my email on the matter, I went by….I thought maybe I had pressed a wrong button fiddling with the TV remote and was accidently charged for pay TV…..but no, for a Chardonnay, which I certainly did not have. I would be refunded and it would show on my account within a few days. It did not, so one week later I went back again….comment: ‘ah, I don’t know what happened’….me ‘seems to go on quite a bit at this hotel.’ On both visits I asked to see the manager, which seemed to upset staff a bit….on both occasions I was offered a free bottle of water to butter me up (I refused, I don’t accept freebies from places I don’t like). In the end, the refund was done, but what still baffles me is how they could charge my cc if it bounced in the first place???

oh, but the 24/7 coffee in the library was nice and hot!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Meyem
Lisa G, General Manager at The Mansfield, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thank you for your direct feedback. I promise to look into the situation with your credit card and the other issues you pointed out.
I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2012

The Bad
- Our room, 812, was described as a Deluxe Queen with Queen bed. The room was tiny as per a lot of NY hotel rooms, but the bed was actually only a double and could have substituted for a canoe with the sagging in the middle.
- There was barely storage for one person let alone two. There is no wardrobe or chest of drawers. There was a desk which I would rather have had as a chest of drawers. The closet was miniscule.
- Bedside table on only one side.
- Bathroom doors are nonsense. They are bifold doors that are hinged on either side and would not completely close and had no lock.
- Free wifi was next to useless most of the time.
- Towels were mostly frayed and in poor condition.
- Air conditioner very noisy.
- Elevators so dark you couldn't see which floor button to press.

The Good
-Staff was good in that they did change our room to a junior suite, albeit at an additional $62 a night, on complaining about bed not being a queen.
- Location is great.
- Housekeeping kept the room spotless.
- The rooms are quiet as most seem to look into a light well.
- Good free coffee in lobby with tea but no milk for your tea.
- Liked the original hardwood floors.

Overall I don't think I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Mexico City
Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Very well located, and we enjoyed the free cappuchinos in the library before heading out each morning. The staff were helpful in getting us taxis, helping with pushchairs, lending umbrellas, and they gave us late checkout at 2pm which was great. The rooms were small but well appointed, with ipod dock, flat screen TV, Aveda bath products, one of the best showers ever, and nicely decorated, although they were quite dark and there was a lack of places to put things, so our luggage ended up just inside the doorway and in the bathroom we had to put things on the floor. Our friends were next door and we found it quite strange that the rooms were different sizes although we had paid the same on the same booking. Theirs was smaller with a smaller bed, but had a bathtub and bigger TV as if by way of compensation.

One of the reasons we chose this hotel was for the complimentary Wi-fi, as we saw that many hotels in NY charge you for internet use. We were going to be working and needed internet connection. This didn't work for the entire 5 nights we were there, and the staff told us it was due to the construction going on nearby. Having read other reviews I suspect that this is what they tell everybody and in fact the internet never works. A shame, but one of the very few downsides to this hotel.

Having read reviews of many hotels in Manhattan before choosing the Mansfield I was glad we chose to stay here and would stay again if we get the chance to go back. They should sort out their internet problems though!

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lichita80
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I go to New York 6-8 times per year. I am accustomed to "small" NY hotel rooms. Although the room at the Mansfield was somewhat claustrophobic, it was fine at first impression. However, this was the worst hotel experience in New York that I have ever encountered. The room was not clean. When I was taking a shower, I stepped on a piece of clothing--and realized it was a "soiled" thong that had fallen from the shower bar. The air-conditioning did not work properly and was extremely loud--no sleep whatsoever. The elevator(s) were out of service several times--and one of the maintenance staff members loudly expressed his frustration with the f...ing elevator for guests to hear. On one occasion, I walked five flights of stairs to my room--and twice walked down the stairs due to the elevators. I only stayed ONE night and will never return. I left a message for the general manager, Lisa Grossberg, and she never returned my call. I was not surprised. Samantha--at the front desk--gave this explanation. Sir...this is an old hotel. I have stayed in hotels much older, much nicer, and definitely much betteer maintained and managed. I would strongly discourage anyone from stayting at the Mansfield.

Room Tip: I would strongly discourage anyone from staying at the Mansfield.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

London
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I stayed here on a business trip and there are really lots of better hotels in the area for similar prices (The Warwick and The Chambers are two that come to mind). The Mansfield is lacking in some extremely basic hotel necessities. For example, a bath mat would be nice so I don't slip all over the floor when I step out of the shower, or failing this at least an extra towel in the room so I can improvise. The other thing that really irked me was the air conditioning units, as mentioned by other reviewers, though not because they were loud. I was truly shocked that a hotel at this price level would have window units like this, and that the open area of the window would be covered by what is essentially black plastic/foamboard, and ill-fitting to top that off. This makes the rooms really noisy, you can hear literally everything outside and a lot of air comes in from outside which is not nice when it is cold out. Additionally, while I found the bathrooms and bed linens to be clean, the rest of the room was not up to cleanliness standards. Visible layers of dust/grime in the corners and mysterious black sludge marks on the upholstery, and more luggage/other assorted marks on the walls and door frames than is acceptable at this price level. The hardwood floors, one of the main selling points of the hotel, are also not nice, they are irregular and beaten-up.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2012

This is a great booutique hotel.
We had two rooms for a family of 7. Both were suites with queen bed in one room and fold out in separate lounge. This is our first time in NY and yes the rooms were small but it seems that is the case in most hotels in NY. This hotel was excellant, the rooms we were in looked like they had recently been renovated, very classy rooms. The ensuites were small but had baths in them. We were on level three in rooms side by side.
The staff were helpful and freindly, they upgraded us to the larger suites at a very low fee. We had booked on priceline so they were under no obligation to do that and cld have charged a fortunue if they wanted.
Theres is a library with free coffee 24/7, a small gym and a restaurant we ate at one night which was very good - not cheap but good wines and food.
The location was exactly what we wanted: easy walk to Grand Central and Time Square, bit further to Central Park and Empire state but not to far.
If you are a family like us, coming from anohter country with no idea what to expect at NY other than what you have read on Trip Advisor, I would reccomend this hotel as one where you will feel welcome, secure and comfortable. Keeping in mind it is not a big chain but an independant boutique hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ray J
athens
Reviewed 27 April 2012

the biggest plus for Mansfield is the location!!! but i had never seen so small rooms!!! its impossible to open your suitcases,there are no place for the coats...and some rooms they don't have any view.there is free coffee maker in the nice common "library" room .would i recommend this hotel? yes, if i dont have any other option.if somebody expecting 4* treatment you'l probably be a bit disappointed.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business