“Welcome wonderful wow!”

The Mansfield
Ranked #349 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Welcome wonderful wow!”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

From check in to check out this hotel was welcoming, the experience was wonderful - so WOW! The last thing you want to have to deal with on vacation is messed up reservations or a substandard room. The lack of problems and reasonable price is what keeps us returning time and time again to The Mansfield.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

david_sandler, General Manager at The Mansfield, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Arlene N,
Thank you for choosing the Mansfield Hotel! We love to hear how happy our guests are and our team will be especially happy to hear the WOW factor! Our team is also pleased to hear that you are a returning guest and plan to stay with us again. We are excited to welcome you back in the future!
David Sandler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Enjoyed the comfort of this small boutique hotel. The staff was very pleasant but the rooms are small, dark and have limited space for suitcases and belongings. I like the collateral material which was interesting.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Dear Leland L,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to review the hotel. We are very happy to hear you felt the staff was very pleasant. We try to strive towards providing our guests with excellent customer service. We would love for you to come back and stay with us again. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

My hotel room was so dark at night that I couldn't even find my purse until the next day and it was just on the floor. I turned all the lights on in the room and the room was still extremely dim. I didn't have phone reception in my room so they were kind enough me to another room, but the traffic of the city was so loud, I couldn't sleep. I also asked for another lamp and they said they'd bring it up, but they never did. I ended up going to a friend's in the middle if the night and returned in time for checkout the following morning. The wifi didn't work either. This was the worst stay I've ever experienced in NY.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Shannon C,

We are sorry to hear that your stay was not up to standards. We truly appreciate your feedback as it will allow us to hone in on the guest experience and improve it. If you do decide to give us another chance I know we can make your stay more enjoyable. Please let us know if you do decide to come back so we can enhance your experience.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

New England
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I booked the queen bed in the smallest room, and was surprised at the comfort level of the room. The room decor is stylish modern without being pretentious. Staff is personable and responsive. There's lemonade and cookies upon check-in. The bar handsome, polished, and relaxed, and the front parlor is tastefully done and comfortable with a mission style feel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear OnionRiver,

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Mansfield Hotel. We were happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and the comforts of the hotel. It would be great to welcome you back the next time you are in the city.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The Good

If you’re a tourist, and want to be close to Time Square, the location is fantastic. You’re a few easy walking blocks away. (and we were walking in high heels to bars/clubs, so if we can do it…)

I think some of the reviews stating the rooms are small have never been to NYC before. The rooms are actually a decent size for NYC, and bigger than I expected. (if you want to see small, hit The Paramount, holy wow)

We also didn’t have the noise issue from the street people talked about. But we had a view of an alley, not the street. The hotel does provide earplugs in the room, so there must be more noise in some rooms.

The staff was overall friendly and helpful. They aren’t the Ritz/Four Seasons staff but they get it done.

The lemon water in the lobby is a nice touch after NYC’s hot weather.

The bath area was clean. It’s not a ‘wow’ at all, but it did the job and tile was decent vs. cheap. The shower had great pressure, and was clean. (though the lack of shelving in the entire bathroom is horrible for a female; all the bath products had to be put on the shower floor due to no shelving in the shower)

They have a mini-bar in the room, which they emptied free of charge, so we could use as a refrig. I appreciated that.

The air/heat was easy to control and kept the room comfortable. The bed was really comfortable.

The bar is tiny and was never full, but they had a young lady and man on guitar playing great relaxing music. (and I don’t mean boring, I mean a good relaxing vibe where they deserved a better crowd)

The Bad

There was a hole in the wall under the window-seating bench. This did not inspire confidence of a well-maintained room, and I worried about exactly what was going to come through that hole in the middle of the night. Ew. Now if I hadn’t dropped something on the floor I wouldn’t have seen the hole, but it was about the size of my fist, so I expect better from a hotel. This is the main reason I would hesitate to stay again.

They maid knocking on the door every hour is annoying. If we tell you the 1st time no service in the morning, don’t come back and don’t call. In her defense, we did not put up the ‘do not disturb’ sign, but we couldn’t find one. And I’ve stayed at hotels were you never see a maid until midnight, so props for doing her job, no joke.

The hotel was not remotely full, but they still wanted to charge an extra $70/night for a king size bed. Better hotels recognize and don’t do this if the hotel isn’t full. (we stayed with the full size bed)

The free coffee/tea in the lobby is horrible, but you get what you pay for. (I mean really bad and cold, just walk to Starbucks)

Except for the mini-lights hanging over the bed, the lighting in the room is excessively dark for a business traveler or a female trying to put on make-up.

Don’t trip/stub your toe going into the hotel. There is about a 1 1/2” inch ‘step’ at the front door and I was not the only dummy to keep tripping on it, so they could at least put a rug down or a rubber strip.

MISC.

If you have the money, and it will require MONEY (think Ruth’s Chris), go directly across the street to the restaurant The Strip House. Wonderful food, wonderful perfect service. (and I don’t say that lightly) Solid 5 star restaurant with impeccable service. The type where if you have left-overs, they literally valet your food until you’re ready to leave. Again, expensive, expect to drop a minimum of $100/person easily, but completely worth it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank WorldTraveler38
david_sandler, General Manager at The Mansfield, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear WorldTraveler38,
Thank you for your candid and thorough review of The Mansfield Hotel. On behalf of my team I would like to thank you for staying. I will be sure to share your positive notes with my team as they will be excited to hear that their service and amenities made your stay unforgettable. I will also address with the team your constructive feedback in order to help us get better at what we do. I hope that next time you choose to visit NYC again you decide to stay at the Mansfield hotel; we would be delighted to have you back!
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

I booked The Mansfield for two reasons. First, $179 room rate in Manhattan! And second the pictures on the web site looked intriguing. The pictures were an accurate reflection of the amenities but don't do justice to the excellent attentive staff or the comfortable atmosphere.

Lots of international visitors made the small but fashionable bar and restaurant an interesting place to have a cocktail or dinner. The food is eclectic, well prepared and delicious.

I was disappointed that the whole front facade is covered in scaffolding for repairs because the picture on the web site looks great. But the inside while clearly old is extremely well maintained and such a welcome change from a cookie cutter Courtyard Marriott. the Art Deco styling fits the overall architecture and is really great.

The rooms are small, but not claustrophobic. I likened them to many European hotels I have visited. The exercise facility is 1st class. I will definitely return!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Harpelt,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive response about your stay at the Mansfield. My team loves to hear how happy our guest are after staying with us. They will be especially happy to hear that their service is what made your stay even better than expected. We are so glad you chose the Mansfield on your stay and we would be even happier to welcome you back in the future!
San Francisco
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This hotel is in a great location and has lots of charm. It has a "European" feel, so rooms are not huge, but they have everything you need. The whole hotel is Very stylish. We used the fitness room which was great. We would stay again for sure

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Roberta E,
Thank you very much for your rewarding feedback for the Mansfield Hotel. Positive feedback like this encourages our team to strive every day to provide our guests with their every need. On behalf of my team I would also like to thank you for staying with us as in the future we will be as happy to welcome you back! See you soon.