“Great location, great ambience but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Mansfield

The Mansfield
Ranked #348 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great location, great ambience but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

We loved our 2 roomed suite, dark and romantic: leather sofas, window seats, black shutters. The narrow corridors and dark wood, the old style elevators. The location is great - on 44th between 5th & 6th. However, the room was just too dark - especially in the bathroom. There was only one small mirror and with the light being behind me, I was casting a shadow on it which made it difficult to see to do my makeup. My husband had the same trouble shaving. Also I am 5'7" and I had to have my heels on to be at the right height to see in the mirror! I preferred to use it straight on rather than tilted down. My other issue was there was only once anyone at the door to help with hailing a cab or to help with luggage - heavy doors and steps to deal with. But on the plus side, the M Bar is nice and cosy and good for pre or post dinner cocktails, plus does breakfast and there is free coffee available all day in the Club Room.

1 Thank mightyquinns
david_sandler, General Manager at The Mansfield, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Mightyquinns,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our M Bar was nice and cozy! We pride ourselves in making every guest stay as memorable as possible. We hope that you will choose to stay with us in your future stays in NYC. Please feel free to call me directly; we will do our best to top your last stay!

Best,

David Sandler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

We travel a lot and stay in very high-end hotels and this was NOT a 4 star hotel!!!!
I read the reviews about this hotel and although there were complaints about the small rooms I thought maybe I wouldn't mind a little less room because we were close to Times Square. Boy was I wrong! These were not rooms they were dirty closets.
The room
• They were so small they couldn't fit the bare necessity furnishings i.e.
• A bureau to unpack your close. We were so embarrassed that our clothes were everywhere that we wouldn't even let the chamber maid clean our room.
• A chair to sit down - I used the bed corner to tie my shoes but then my husband had to wait to get to the bathroom.
• A comfortable - we would have used the floor is there was more of it.
• A second night stand on my side of the bed - I cleverly used my unpacked suitcase for one so I could have a place for may phone, water (BTW, they charge $10!!!!! for a bottle of water so bring your own) and no place for my book – but that’s okay because I couldn't read it anyway, the room had only two dim lights-probably because they didn't want you to see all the imperfections and the dirt!
• A closet that hangers actually fit in rather than sitting at an angle plus only 6 hangers were provided. The closet was also shared with a giant safe (in case you brought a LOT of money to pay the bill) A hair dryer….and other things that don’t really belong in a 12” x 12” closet that wouldn't open if the bathroom door was open.

The Bathroom
• I couldn't stand in front of the sink because that is where the toilet was.
• The shower was disgusting and had broken parts
• The sink had no stopper and looked like a wormhole to the sewers of New York.
• Amenities and towels enough for one - we fought over the shampoo.

The Service
If the ridiculously sized room wasn't enough to ruin this hotel, the staff would have, they were so snotty. You would think they would bend over backwards to accommodate for their lack of size...he he. NOPE! When I went to the front to let them know that I was very disappointed with the room the answer I received was "I see that you reserved the room through a third party - that was the room you reserved" There is nothing we can do. OMG!! Really? I reserved a dirty closet? What was I thinking?? My bad. Never, never, never stay here. Check out the lovely photos.

Room Tip: Pick a room down the street.
2 Thank Deb W
Dear Deb W,

Thanks for the feedback on your most recent stay. I’m disappointed to hear that you experienced some service issues, and I assure you this is not typical of the customer service we provide. Our team has been made aware of the key issues we can improve on. We wish you will reconsider staying with us in the future for all of your New York City stays. Please feel free to contact me directly; we’ll do our best to offer you the best available rate, a better room, and regain your confidence in us.

Be well,

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Cardiff
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Great location and a good hotel to experience the old charm of New York! But, and it is a big but, hotel rooms are compact, tired and in need of an upgrade. Luxury boutique hotel is certainly not what we experienced but were charged the high room rates! Very poor value for money...avoid until signifIcant refurbishment is complete!!!

3 Thank Elin G
Dear Elin G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. I'm happy to hear our location was convenient for you .We’ll pass along your feedback to our team in order to continue providing valued service. We would love the opportunity to surpass your expectations and hope you’ll have a change of heart.

Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

First time in New York and wish I would have known how tiny the room was going to be. I realize you aren't in your room often, but finally had a anniversary weekend away from kids and room and bathroom were tinier than my kids bedroom at home! Couldn't even open suitcase unless on bed. Couldn't open hotel room door unless bathroom door was shut because no room. Seriously, overweight person would struggle getting in bathroom!! Only room for one to get ready because so small. Bed was very uncomfortable. Elevators so small you couldn't fit more than four in it! They also sounded like the cable would break any second!
We were happy with staff as they gave us free breakfast card and free drinks for our trouble. Location was best part of our stay. Next time I would stay somewhere else on same street.

Room Tip: Don't stay here for the room! They are smallest ever!!! I'm not sure if there is a good room...
1 Thank madieshopper
Dear Madieshopper,

Thanks for the feedback on your most recent stay. I’m disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy your room. Please let us know next time you're in New York if you'd like to come visit us again, and we’ll accommodate you with a room that better suits your needs.Thanks you again for your time, and have a great day.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I have been doing research on places to stay when I am in New York for 7 nights in April of next year with my two travel companions (my mother and 13 year old brother). Upon coming across The Mansfield, I wanted to stay in the Junior Suite. However, before I booked the suite, I wished to confirm the bedding configuration in the hotel. I sent the hotel, through their website, two emails to confirm the bedding so that I could book the room. These emails were sent one in late November and one very early in December. To date (9 Dec) I have had no reply, and when I decided tonight that I would simply book the room, I find that it is sold out for the dates I am after, except for the penthouse!

I am very upset as I was really looking forward to staying at the Mansfield Hotel after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. It is a shame that I have missed out simply because the hotel does not respond to emails in a timely manner - something I would have assumed to be standard these days.

1 Thank Tahlia B
Dear Tahlia B,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide our hotel with your feedback. I apologize on behalf of the hotel, for not providing you with the experience you had hoped for; please know our team has been notified of your experience and they hope for your return, so that we may make it up to you. This is not typical of our customer service if you decide to give us another try, please feel free to reach out to me directly feel free to contact me and I will make sure your stay will be nothing short of perfect.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We have been to New York many times, this was our first stay at Mansfield and it proved to be beyond delightful. We stayed in a junior suite and loved our room. We enjoyed the complimentary warm cookies that awaited us each late afternoon. We especially enjoyed the staff who were always very polite, courteous, warm, welcoming and helpful. If I was to add one suggestion, during the Christmas season, it would be to have warm apple cider available as opposed to cold lemon water (enjoyed warm cider in other hotels during the Christmas season) -- but, that being said -- the warm cookies (especially the chocolate chip) were such a treat and very much appreciated. The location is perfect, accessible to EVERYTHING. We LOVED our stay, and have decided to make this our main hotel for future visits. We really want to thank ALL the staff for being so warm and friendly.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

david_sandler, General Manager at The Mansfield, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Lovetwotravel18,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We’re delighted you chose to stay with us during the holidays and that you enjoyed our warm chocolate chip cookies. We always want to make sure all of our guests have an amazing stay. We will go ahead and give your feed back to our team in order to continue to provide quality service. We hope to see you both again in the future!

New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

the location was good
my room was cold and noisy
the staff was not helpful in resolving the issue
the mattress was old and i sleep not comfortable
my rate for thisn hotel is not a4 star is a 3 star the location is good also i didn know the hotel had room service, the front desk had some attitude

Dear Carlos F,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide our hotel with your feedback. I apologize on behalf of the hotel, for not providing you with the experience you had hoped for; please know our team has been notified of your experience and they hope for your return, so that we may make it up to you. If you decide to give us another try, please feel free to contact me and I will make sure your stay will be nothing short of perfect. Thanks you again for your time, and have a great day.