“Bogus minibar charges”

Ranked #344 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Houston, Texas
“Bogus minibar charges”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We were checking out and were told that we had a minibar charge of $13 for candy- I think reese peeses. My wife and I never even opened the minibar throughout the entire time and vociferously argued against it which the night manager removed. However this spoiled the whole experience and we will NEVER return.
Additionally the day before I went to the front desk and there was a blonde young woman with an attitude. Normally I always go to the front desk the day before to make sure everything is in order and I did the same thing with you guys.
She had an attitude problem and snottily told me that I had to do it in the morning. Absolute nonsense.
I also noticed on some of the travel websites that this issue with being charged on minibar comes up quite a bit and I will most certainly write about it on orbitz etc. This is some scam you guys have going on. Maybe NY AG needs to know about this.
SO far no charges but who knows. Maybe next week there will be some mysterious charge and I'll have to fight you guys again. Not a problem since I work from home and have the time and energy to do this.

Lisa G, General Manager at The Mansfield, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear G N,

Thank you for taking time to share the details of your stay.I was disappointed to learn that your recent visit did not exceed your expectations I take pride in our Front Desk team but rest assured I will speak to them regarding your experience. We want all of our guests to depart with a positive memorable experience and regret that you did not feel that, we hope you give us a chance to show you a true Shoreham experience, feel free to contact me directly ,as I would like to discuss further.

Lisa Grossberg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
New York
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We were thankfully provided a crib not a Pack-n-play, which my back appreciated not having to bend all the way down into. Our Jr. Suite was perfect for the 3 of us, lots of room to have the crib in the 'living room' and a couch to relax on. GREAT location for our first time in NYC, doing all the touristy things. We only needed to take the subway to Battery Park and the Brooklyn Bridge, we easily walked to everything else.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Meredith M,

Thank you for staying with us at the Mansfield Hotel. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate you enjoying the amenities the hotel has to offer, our friendly staff, and the location. The next time you are in NYC we hope you choose to stay with us again.

LIsa Grossberg
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This hotel has a lot of character. It's a great value given the prime location. The staff is fantastic; very welcoming, friendly, and perceptive. Just as important, this hotel is very clean and comfortable. I'm not sure whether it'd be considered small, but for what's the norm in NYC, it was very appropriate and we did not feel cramped. I'd recommend it and plan to stay here again.

Dear Joyner P,

Thanks for the feedback on your most recent stay. I'm glad to hear that our service was to your liking. Please let us know next time you're in New York if you'd like to come visit us again, and we’ll accommodate you with a room that better suits your needs. Feel free to reach out to me directly.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Very welcoming and loved that they accommodated our toy poodle! We arrived at the hotel at 7am after our red eye from Seattle and they stored our luggage and invited us to relax in their lounge (with a free cappuccino bar) which was very nice of them. They had a room ready for us by noon and the room was lovely. Nice big bed, modern decor and a charming window seat. The staff were very courteous and the location can't be beat. A great location when traveling with a pet since Bryant park is just 2 blocks away and is also where we easily caught the Newark Airport Express coach to and from the airport. Great experience!

Dear TiffanyLC7,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and our rooms were to your liking! We pride ourselves in making every guest stay as memorable as possible. We hope that you will choose to stay with us in your future stays in NYC. Please feel free to call me directly; we will do our best to top your last stay!

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I only stayed for one night and I do not think I could have stayed for much longer. It was nice enough and the staff was helpful. The bed was comfortable. The problem was it was SO small. I only had a carry on and it was totally in the way. There was basically no light so it felt like being in a dungeon. There was a window, but it was into an area about 6 or 8 feet across, like an alleyway, but covered so it was dark. Very dark. However, it was relatively inexpensive so if it's just for a night or two, I would recommend it. But only for one person in a room. (Note: I think I may have been in one of the petite rooms, so maybe the others are better.)

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear K L,

Thank you for staying with us at the Mansfield Hotel. The team and I were pleased to hear you felt the service was good. We are happy to read you enjoyed the location as well as the hotels amenities. We hope the next time you are in the states you will make the Mansfield your choice of hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Be well,
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My room - 1004 - was the most depressing hotel room I have ever stayed in. The lighting was horrible, just a couple of small lamps and a bright white fluorescent ceiling lamp that made the room feel like a warehouse. It wasn't as tiny as some of the rooms described here, but equally miserable. It had two small windows facing the street but there was some kind of metal grate outside as well as scaffolding covering the entire hotel, so good luck getting any natural daylight. I asked for a room change and they told me this room had better lighting than most. There is no central air, just a cheap Home Depot-style wall unit. The bathroom was tiny and cheap with a clingy shower curtain. Overall, a completely disappointing and depressing experience. Could not wait to check out.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrew K
Dear Andrew K,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide our hotel with your feedback. I apologize on behalf of the hotel, for not providing you with the experience you had hoped for; please know our team has been notified of your experience and they hope for your return, so that we may make it up to you. If you decide to give us another try, please feel free to contact me and I will make sure your stay will be nothing short of perfect. Thanks you again for your time, and have a great day.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Beside a very good location, we had a suite. One queen bed and a sofa-bed. The sofa bed was just horrible, the mattress was so old and so uncomfortable. Considering the price of the suite and the so-called "luxury" of the hotel, this was unacceptable.
Told to the team whom have down nothing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family