The Mansfield
The Watson Hotel(New York City)
US$209
US$195
  • Pool
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$224
US$206
  • Pool
Hilton Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$314
US$269
  • Room Service
Ace Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$240
US$278
  • Restaurant
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$233
US$209
US$359
US$309
  • Breakfast included
  • Fitness centre
Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$358
US$315
  • Room Service
Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$304
US$263
  • Bar/Lounge
The Plaza(New York City)
US$1,239
US$1,031
1,909 results
All reviewslibrary roomgreat locationtimes squarenew yorkhardwood floorsespresso machinefree coffeebryant parkjunior suiteboutique hotelreading roomrooms are smallclub roomgrand central stationquiet streetqueen bedfifth avenue
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 May 2009

I just completed a 3 night stay at The Mansfield. It was a very unique mid-town experience and combined quality/location/value in what was a very strong proposition. More specific thoughts along with grade for each area follow.

Staff

From the moment I got out of the cab in the rain, to the moment that I got in another cab (my sole cabs btw on the trip; I strongly prefer walking/subway/busses) I could not say enough things positive things about the staff. First, they were professional. They were always very friendly and made The Mansfield feel like a home away from home. If they did not remember me by name, the certainly remembered me as a guest. The great thing was this attitude held true from the front desk staff, waitresses in the restaurant even the housekeeper on my floor. Great general manger. Keep it up. Grade A+.

Location

I used to stay around the park during trips to New York, but for years have moved toward mid town location. Happy made switch, as don’t think for business traveler, anything beats mid-town if need to get around to multiple locations during the trip due to subway access near both Times Square and Grand Central. The Mansfield and its owners certainly are not alone in enjoying the location, as there are perhaps 7-8 hotels on 44th between 5th and 6th. It worked out great. Location A+.

Room

I was able to get upgraded at check in to a small suite. I enjoyed it. The good outweighs the bad, but I’ll offer both comments. Good points are the room was nicely paneled, larger than most, had two flat screens TV and generally was quite. The bad was that it was much to dark for my liking as was an interior room on light courtyard and did not have accessible temperature controls without calling the engineer. Grade B-

Ammenties

I’m still amazed in how hotels create their value proposition. In hotels like The Peninsula and Ritz Carleton and others at the upper end many amenities are extra. It seems like the better the hotel the more they feel confident charging for everything. At the lower end every amenity comes with the room. What was terrific about The Mansfield was that it offered a boutique luxury experience and included all amenities in the price. There is a terrific fitness center, better than lots of much bigger hotels, free Wi-Fi, a 24 hour complimentary espresso bar (terrific), a great lobby/library, a nice lounge off the lobby, I believe complimentary breakfast (was for me). Loved them all and used them all. Grade A+

Value is the word of the moment and The Mansfield offered tremendous value. It’s not necessary to elaborate, but it would be easy to spend 2 to three times as much for a room in New York and not have as good an experience. Grade A+++

Summary

I completely and thoroughly enjoyed The Mansfield. Would stay there again in a minute and probably will again soon.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank jakester20
Reviewed 6 May 2009

We received a rate of $159/night through Travelzoo and thought we got a great hotel for a great deal. As previous reviewers have stated, the location is ideal. Before arriving, I was concerned that we would be able to touch the walls from the bed in our petite chambre, but there was no such problem. The area between the bottom of the bed and the bathroom was tight - only one person could pass through. The bathroom was adequate and nicely tiled. My only complaint with the room was that the lone mirror was in the bathroom - nothing in the sleeping area. Since the weather was in the 60s we did not need either the a/c or heat, so we slept comfortably. We had an inside room, and the only noise we could hear was the ocassional closing of our neighbor's door. When the coffee machine broke down, they put out carafes of coffee, decaf & hot water for tea. I was puzzled by some reviewers mention of a continental breakfast - we didn't see anything like that - only the paid breakfast in the dining room. We opted for the diner right down the street. Concierge gave us a good "moderate for NY" priced Italian restaurant suggestion and arranged for a last minute reservation. For the size of the hotel, we were impressed with the 24 hour fitness center, as well. All in all - for the price we paid we had a wonderful weekend.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank black325
Reviewed 3 May 2009

We checked in at the Mansfield, and where suppose to stay 4 nights. We checked out after one. The room were so small I'm pretty impressed that they even could fit a double bed in there. The room was uncomfortably hot, and the aircondition made so much noise it was not possible to sleep with it on. The window faced straight into a dark brick and it was not possible to get any fresh air. BUT, the standard on the furniture and decorations is very good, it's very pretty. Looks very romantic and luxurious. But a nice facade is not enough to make a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2009

This being my first trip to NYC I expected, small cramped outdated rooms and bathroom and rude or indifferent staff. I'm pleased to report that I found none of the above. We were there during the holiday season and 44th St. in this area had a lot of holiday charm with several other boutique hotels and clubs on the street all done up for Christmas. We booked our stay through travelocity and got a huge discount on the rooms (ordinarily $500+, we got for $300+). The location itself is worth it., just off the corner of 5th Ave. and 44th St. As others have commented it was a very easy walk to all of the main destinations (Eg. 5 mins to Times Square, 10 mins to Central Park) There were always cabs available and the subway was less than 5 mins walk away. We arrived early (9am) and were amazed that we were able to check into our rooms and were invited to partake in the free breakfast. (juice, tea, coffee, fresh fruit, pastries, toast & bagels). Both the desk clerk and doorman were helpful and cheerful. Our room was plenty spacious, considering we only planned to use it to sleep. (who goes to NYC to hang out in their hotel room) It was very modern with comtemporary decor, a flat screen tv, Ipod docking station and newly remodled bathroom. The bed and linens were very comfortable and we had a lovely little window seat. It was also spotless. If someone were to ask me to be critical, I found the room a little dark since there was no overhead lighting. The closet was small and there was no dresser. The floors looked pretty, but as they were hardwood, they were a little chilly in the morning. Also, the bathroom door does not have a lock. The elevators were also on the small side. That being said, none of those things were enought to take away from the overall charm and ambiance of staying in an old-world boutique hotel right in downtown NYC. Perhaps if I had paid full price I would have been less impressed. However, on a weekend, three weeks before Christmas you don't expect to get world for a bargain. In particular, I enjoyed the library. I loved the high ceilings and beautiful crown moldings. I sat in the comphy leather club chairs by the fire and wrote my letters home. We also enjoyed a drink (bit overpriced) at the 'M bar' before heading out to the theater. When asked the staff was happy to recommend a sushi restaurant within walking distance. I'd also like to comment that although I didn't use these services, I was happy to read that they were available. They acknowledge that their gym is basic and offer entrance to local gyms if guests wish. They also over an extrememly impressive number of pet friendly services (including transporting your pet from point A to B without you). In response to another users review, we too did encounter housekeeping staff in the elevators and notice the housekeeping cart in the hall, but there really isn't another option. This isn't a holiday inn by the freeway...it's a classic old building, consider it part of the charm! I loved the Mansfield and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2009

The location is great. Staff friendly and helpful. Continental breakfast good (makes life a little easier!) The hotel is a boutique hotel - our room was small, but the bathroom was a good size. Our suitcases were literally between the bed and the wall. Other than that, all was good.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business