“a romantic treat for our first anniversary”
Review of The Mansfield

The Mansfield
Ranked #350 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Penrith, United Kingdom
“a romantic treat for our first anniversary”
Reviewed 17 September 2010

The softly lit lobby was a welcoming sight as we arrived at the Mansfield, after our journey from England. The staff were friendly and helpful upon arrival and very efficient. We found that the room and the hotel was exactly as they describe on their website. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the room size was adequate for 2 adults however we did have to keep some clothes in the suitcase due to minimal storage space, which wasn't really much of a problem. The cleanliness of the room & hotel was to a very high standard. The air conditioner was very effective although a bit noisy. The 24hr self-serve, complimentary coffee machine in the library room was just what you needed after a day of shopping. The Mansfield is a 5min walk to Times Square, and 5 minutes in the opposite direction to Grand Central Station so an absolute perfect location. We couldn't have wished for anything better to celebrate our first wedding anniversary.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 14 September 2010

My husband and I have just returned from a 9-night stay in The Mansfield Hotel in New York and we had a fantastic time. This isn’t your typical cookie cutter chain hotel. It’s quite a small establishment and it is an older hotel. The upside of this is that it’s chock full of character, the downside is that certain things are on a smaller scale, like the elevators and the bathrooms. Personally, I hate huge impersonal hotels, so The Mansfield suited me down to the ground, however it may not be everybody’s cup of tea. We booked our room through a website called Yeego and got a great deal (roughly half the price of the hotels own website!). Our check in was very quick and painless. We arrived at about 1pm and they were able to check us in early with no hassle. I had expected to be put in the smallest room they had due to us having booked through a third party website, but my husband had emailed the hotel the day before explaining that we were celebrating our 10th anniversary during our stay and the manager had actually upgraded us to a suite! I couldn’t believe it, stuff like that normally only happens to other people! The extra space was very much appreciated as I think we would have been very squashed in the Chambre Petite that we had booked, especially as we were staying 9 nights.

The receptionist was very pleasant during check in, a member of staff also accompanied us to our room, helped with our luggage and showed us all the features of the room and things like how to use the air conditioning etc. I thought that this was a nice touch. The suite itself was beautiful, a large sitting room with comfortable couch, large flat screen TV on the wall, a large writing desk and wardrobe. The bedroom was on the small side, but beautifully decorated and again with a large flat screen TV. There was an air-conditioning unit both in the living room and sitting room which was much appreciated as the temperature was in the high 90’s while we where there. The bathroom was very quirky, the doors were almost like wardrobe doors and there was no lock on the door. It didn’t feel very private, so maybe best suited for couples or very, very close friends! The bathroom itself was small, but perfectly functional and spotlessly clean. There was great water pressure in the shower and the Aveda bath products were lovely. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in, it was divine, I wanted to steal the pillows! Our room was at the back of the hotel looking onto an air shaft, so there was very little natural light, even with a large window in the living room and a smaller window in both the bedroom and bathroom. This didn’t bother us too much, it just meant you had to have lights on when you were in the room. The upside of this was that the room kept cooler and there was zero road noise so we slept like a couple of logs! Our room was full of character and had lovely touches like high ceilings, cornicing and stripped wooden floors. We couldn’t have been happier with everything in the room.

The room was cleaned impeccably every day, the only negative I will say about the cleaning service was that for several days, the cleaner forgot to replenish our soap, shampoo etc. We actually had to leave a note for her and then she did leave tonnes of soap and shampoo so it was either a feast or a famine!

We didn’t really use the amenities of the hotel, we actually never set foot in the bar! It did however look lovely and there seemed to be a good buzz about it after work, but it seemed quiet at other times. There is a beautiful room of the lobby where you can sit and read a book or (free) newspaper and have a (free) coffee. I would think this area would be a godsend for guests in the smaller rooms, but we didn’t have any need for it as we had our own sitting room. It was a very charming room and decorated like an old fashioned library. The coffee from the machine was excellent, there are no coffee machines in the rooms, so we were regulars at the machine. It was very much appreciated to get us going in the morning! We didn’t use the gym, so I can’t comment on that. There is an area behind the reception desk with two computers which offered free internet use and free printing. We found the WIFI in the rooms to be excellent and always very strong.

The location of this hotel is excellent, just off Fifth Avenue on a nice quiet cross street, 5 min walk to Times Square, 2 mins walk to Bryant Park, Rockefeller Centre and Grand Central Station (Subway lines at each). We were able to walk to the Empire State Building in about 10 mins and Central Park in about 15 mins. We appreciated not having to take the Subway everywhere as it was extremely hot down there. We only really took the Subway when we were going downtown and it was nice to be able to walk to places of interest.

I have to give a special mention to the staff of this hotel, I cannot believe previous reviews have described them as rude. Okay, they don’t fall over themselves to greet you when you walk past, but frankly, I don’t care about that, what I care about is efficient service and competency, which they had in spades. They were so helpful whether it was getting us fresh milk for tea (there was tea but no milk at the coffee machine!) or charging my e-reader from their computer as I didn’t have a charger, I couldn’t fault them at all.

Overall, we loved The Mansfield and really enjoyed our stay, it is an older hotel and does have some of the quirks that come with age, like smaller rooms and noisy air con (but nothing that we couldn’t sleep through), but I feel that the character and charm of this hotel more than make up for the flaws. If you like huge, super modern hotels then this isn’t the place for you, if you enjoy quirky, charming, more intimate hotels in a beautiful historic building, then this is the place for you. We certainly would stay here if we return to New York and would recommend it to anyone. And do shop around for the best price, we saved a fortune by booking through a third party website.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ncmc
Charlotte
Reviewed 11 September 2010

A very clean room, comfortable bed, spotlessly clean bathroom makes a picky traveler like me happy. A couple of blocks from Bryant Park, Mansfield has perfect location. It is close to everything but tucked away from the tourist rush of Times Square. Complementary breakfast has a good choice of entrees. I loved the hardwood floors in the room. Overall a very good hotel, clean, excellent service and perfect location. The hotel has free wifi.

The only con - the rooms facing the street can get a bit too noisy.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank junkie_travel
LONDON
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I stayed in the Mansfield on my own for a long weekend.

I had booked a petit chambre. But on my arrival the reception noticed that it was my birthday the next day... they upgraded me to a Queen (they wanted to give me a King but it would have been another hour to prepare), and I think just about every member of staff wished me happy birthday over the next few hours!! Very nice touch.

The building has a real old New York charm. They have managed to retain the original features and a real feel of a genuine experience.. whilst adding modern twists and modern standards of luxury. The stairwells and corridors themselves are beautiful as they are full of character... not often I feel compelled to include stairwells in a review!

Room was on the small side but definitely not shockingly so, and there was plenty of room to move about.. All very well appointed and lovely furniture. The bed... I can't say enough.. it was very very comfortable. Loads of power points. Air con was efficient but as per other reviewers it was pretty noisy. I wore ear plugs at night so that I could keep it on. It was very hot the weekend I was there. Lighting was muted to say the least. Not good for the application of make up!
Bathroom was small but well laid out and luxuriously presented with a big shower. Aveda products are lovely touch.

There is a well appointed gym with well maintained equipment (2 running machines, bike, cross trainer, plenty of freeweights and a stretch/abs area on a mezzanine level. This is a really good facility which you might not normally get in a non-chain hotel so I was pretty impressed. There is also a business centre - just 2 pc's but internet is free and printing is free and on demand (no need to request at reception). The other nice touch is the club room where you can get a free coffee (from machine) at any time of day. This is a library setting and feels very relaxing.

Location is second to none and I would definitely stay there again. 1 minute from 5th Avenue and the M1 bus heading downtown. 3 minutes from Broadway and Times Square. 5 minutes from the Rockefeller centre and the cathedral. 10 minutes walk from Hells Kitchen and some lovely bars and restaurants (try the Marseille). 44th street is relatively quiet for a crosstown street in this part of New York. Plenty of good dining/drinking options right on the doorstep, including the historic literary Alonquin hotel. I had a couple of fab cocktails there. Felt very refined! Well, I am worth it!

Yes I would go back and yes I would definitely recommend it. I actually can't think of anything I would want to improve.

Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank OverworkedUnderpaid
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Just returned from a trip to NYC with my sister and our daughters (teens). Trip started a little bit on a downer as my sister and her daughter's flight was screwed up (Air Tran loves to over-book) but definitely took a positive turn when my daughter and I arrived at our chosen hotel-The Mansfield. Since I have limited words I will sum it up by saying that this hotel is charming, clean, has beautifully decorated rooms with the 'feel' of NY, has a fantastic location-close to Times Square/5th Ave/possible to walk to Central park/near Grand Central/NY Public library/Bryant park etc etc. Helpful and friendly staff (Henry!~Edward~cleaning woman who was sweet when we interrupted her by coming back to the room unexpectedly~curly haired woman at desk) they upgraded our room due to the flight mess which we appreciated VERY much. I recall seeing a few reviews here before booking that said staff was not friendly...I can only imagine that these reviewers are not terribly friendly themselves~you get what you give! In fact, we met so many friendly, funny, helpful and interesting people~LOVE NYC!!! And will definitely book at this hotel on return trips. And did I mention...FREE (and actually good) specialty coffee that you can get for yourself any time in the charming library. Sadly didn't get the chance to sample the blueberry martini in the M bar due to our quest to cover all of Manhattan in 5 days...but, bar was quaint and peaceful...next time! Also must be said that the beds were extremely comfortable, the Aveda bath products appreciated and amazingly our room (a suite on the 12th floor) was so restful, cool and quiet! This is NY-honk honk. For anyone who hasn't been to NY you should be reminded that the rooms over all are not large...but, bigger is not always better. Our suite had everything we needed and despite our bathroom fitting 1 at a time we managed beautifully. It was such a cute little bathroom that had little double doors that opened out and you stepped up to the tile floored space that even had a tiny little window...and it couldn't have been cleaner! Great job Mansfield! Hope to see you soon!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank MidwestBest
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Sleeping in this hotel was like living in a classy 1950's movie! The rooms were elegant, classy, classical, with a touch of modern design. And the room was absolutely huge!! I was very impressed with this hotel and I remember if you book in advance you can land a great deal - relative to Manhattan prices that is.

The location was also very close to Times Square and the staff were incredibly friendly, unlike some other NYC hotels. I would recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank nyujay2010
Washington, DC
Reviewed 29 July 2010

This is a old hotel with nicely remodeled room and charming bar that is very close to Times Square. As any other hotel, some of the staff were more accommodating, while others were a bit grumpy. However, my main objection is to its internet connection in the rooms, which is absolutely not reliable. Every thing else was fine with me.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business