“Very small/poky rooms”
Review of The Mansfield

The Mansfield
Ranked #344 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I found this hotel very disappointing compared to others I have stayed with in New York. One of my colleagues described the rooms as "windowless shoeboxes", and I could see what he means (my room has a window, but with no light coming in). The space is quite depressing, not somewhere you'd want to spend time during the day. I also found the check-in staff unfriendly (although the housekeeping staff were friendly). The public areas are nice, though. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,886)

Reviewed 21 October 2010

Date of Stay - 17-24 April 2009

My friend and I stayed at the Mansfield Hotel on the aofrementioned dates.

The trip itself was expensive but we expected this given the location i.e. New York, Manhattan specifically.

The staff on the front desk were very polite and helpful, but the same couldn't be said for some of the staff who served in the breakfast room who were less than polite.

The rooms were quite spacious considering I was expecting small rooms. The only downside was the airconditioning unit in the room which was directly attached to the outside wall so let in the smells (chips mainly) and noises from outside. My room had no view and all I could see was an industrial generator underneath my window. As a result my room was noisy and a little smelly at times. The TV in the room was large and had plenty of channels on it for watching late at night.

The room was very clean and was services excellently everyday. The bathroom was also clean and had a lot of space with provisions such as shower gel etc.

The cost of the rooms came with a complimentary breakfast (vouchers were handed to us upon check-in) - however breakfast was really poor and not at all filling. You were given a choice of food and one drink only anything else was charged and no variations were allowed without charge. I asked for a little dollop of yoghurt to go with some fruit .. I was charged $2 for the privilege! Luckily there were plenty of diners nearby that one could go to for a decent authentic New York diner experience. When we discovered the diners we totally dispensed with bothering with the breakfast.

On the lower floor the hotel has a gym, small but adequate, and two PC's for FREE internet access which was wonderful ... (in this day and age internet use in hotels should be free - especially wi-fi).

Overall the hotel felt very boutique and cosy with a drawing room for guests to sit and read newspapers in front of a real log fire which was a nice touch.

The location is excellent and a few minutes walk away from all the major attractions - Broadway, Fifth Avenue, Times Square etc.

I would definately use the Mansfield hotel again - an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chachachingching
Reviewed 13 October 2010

My wife and I and our fourteen year old daughter booked the Mansfield at the last minute and were very happy with everything about the hotel. The location is amazing (half a block from 5th Ave and a couple blocks from Times Square), the staff was very helpful and upgraded our room so we could easily fit a cot, and everything was very clean (the hardwood floors helped with the cleanliness of the rooms).
The hotel has been renovated to create a very modern feel but it is an older building so the hallways are narrow and the elevators are on the small side (this adds a lot of character to the place in my opinion). Overall: great rooms, great location, and great staff. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2010

The Mansfield is a wonderful surprise. I was initially quite concerned about what awaited me because the price was so low for a New York hotel. However, the room cwas spotless with a large flat panel TV and free wireless internet. There is a small but excellently equipped gym and the breakfasts, which were also included, terrific. In addition to the wonderful dining room/bar, there is a wonderful cozy library where you can read newspapers and have a drink. The New York Times is also free in the breakfast room. In addition, the staff are terrifically helpful and friendly. I will certainly recommend The Mansfield Hotel to all and above all look forward to returning.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 September 2010

This is a really lovely hotel, the location is perfect, the staff were great and could not do enough. We especially loved M Bar, lovely for breakfast and even better for drinks on a night - the wine was expensive but as to be expected in a Hotel so central to Times Sqare - would go back.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 21 September 2010

We stayed at the Mansifeld Hotel for a break in NYC before moving on to another location. It was my second time in NY and my wife's first and we decided to book this hotel rather than a chain hotel as we fancied something off the beaten track...
Upon arrival we walked into the lovely reception area, very quirkey and clean and I was impressed, however having to bring in 2 large suitcases on my own as my wife is six months pregnant did not impress me. Check in was swift and efficiant and the receptionist was polite and pleasent. We were shown up to our rooms by the porter. Once we got in the rooms we could see what people meant by the fact the rooms are dark, the main light really is useless! But that said its a minimum of effort to turn on a spot light which lights up the room totally. The room was quite small but the whole point of our trip was to see the sights and get out so that was no issue at all. The bathroom is not big but by no means small, I found it perfect for us and always clean. The only issue I felt was storage, there were no drawers so my wife was living out of a suitcase (it doesn't bother me!) The housekeeper was brilliant throughout the week and our room was always clean and topped up with soap etc. She is the only reason they got one star for service.

We popped out and when we came back I wanted a map for the next day, I went to reception as the concierge was not manned and had to wait while the receptionist chatted to a colleague who was clearly leaving after work before I was spoken to, but I got my map.
The following morning I made use of the gym, it is small and basic but as long as your targets are C.V then it's fine and well maintained, the C.V stuff has TV's on them to listen to any of the hotels channels. On the third day however it had run out of towels and the water bottle was empty by 8 am, I left it for 30 mins before asking the receptionist to sort it out, they did so within 20 minutes. However when I asked for this the male receptionist was quite blunt and rude, not what I'm used in the U.S.
The night before we were leaving I needed to arrange our pick up in the morning, I spoke to the concierge when we got back and he said it was no problem and to get our pick up voucher, bring it down and he could help me. I did this straight away and was back down within 2 minutes, he directed me to the other concierge member on the desk as he was now talking to someone, the other staff member looked at me like I was insulting him and told me to speak to the male receptionist who would sort it. So I went over to him and again asked for some help, however he also looked at me like I was insulting him and whilst still looking at me called out to one of the girls and shouted could she come over here to deal with this as he was due off half an hour ago and wanted to go home. The girl receptionist then came over and had no idea what I was asking help for, so she dialled a number and thrust the phone into my hand. thankfully the lady on the phone was brilliant and helped me loads, but this left me very disappointed with the staff.
We had a drink in he bar that night, nice buzz for the after work crowd but dies after that and it really is not cheap!
The next day when we checked out I was in the rest room when the transfer bus arrived and 3 members of staff stood by watching my six months pregnant wife struggle trying to take the suitcases to the bus, not one moved to help her. Thankfully I came out prior to her hurting herself.

All in all the location is perfect, easy reach of most things, Times Square, 5th Av, Empire state building etc and for a boutique hotel it looks great.
But it is massively let down by poor staff with a poor attitude.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2010

The softly lit lobby was a welcoming sight as we arrived at the Mansfield, after our journey from England. The staff were friendly and helpful upon arrival and very efficient. We found that the room and the hotel was exactly as they describe on their website. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the room size was adequate for 2 adults however we did have to keep some clothes in the suitcase due to minimal storage space, which wasn't really much of a problem. The cleanliness of the room & hotel was to a very high standard. The air conditioner was very effective although a bit noisy. The 24hr self-serve, complimentary coffee machine in the library room was just what you needed after a day of shopping. The Mansfield is a 5min walk to Times Square, and 5 minutes in the opposite direction to Grand Central Station so an absolute perfect location. We couldn't have wished for anything better to celebrate our first wedding anniversary.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple