“Good location, good size rooms but starting to fade”

The Michelangelo Hotel
Ranked #43 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 May 2013

The hotel is in a great location and the rooms are clean and well appointed with comfortable beds but as others have pointed out, things are starting to go around the edges. Overall it's a fine boutique hotel. There's no 'WOW' factor and there's no bar or cool resto to hang out at or invite people to meet you at but if you're only in town for a few days then this is a decent choice. Personally I prefer to go through Tablet for my new york stays in boutique hotels or go with chains such as Parker Meridien where you can get better value for money if you book ahead and take a promo rate.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Constantlyontheroad
Katherine S, Manager at The Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please feel free to reach out directly should you need any assistance. We would love for you to stay with us again

There are newer reviews for The Michelangelo Hotel

Reviewed 24 May 2013

My wife and I travelled to NYC for a mini 4 day weekend break ! We loved the location which was so close and walking distance to Time Square and The Rockerfeller centre and 5th Avenue. The room was a good size and Bathroom clean and tidy ! The room was quiet and the service was excellent . The complimentary breakfast ( coffee,tea , muffins and croissant ) was good for Italian visitors ! We will definitely stay there again at this smaller boutique hotel !

Stayed: May 2013

Thank you for the review! Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed 23 May 2013

I have stayed at The Michelangelo at least 4 times for work in the past year. Each time, I've been pleased with the size of my room, the bed, the towels, bath and the overall location of the hotel. It's close to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall and shopping.

On the flip side, however, I have had a few issues. First, I had virtually no cell service at all in my room this week. This probably had to do with the fact that I had a view of a brick wall. (Meanwhile, my boss who checked in at the exact same time directly beside me, was told that they had given him a lovely 7th Ave view room. Ummm... I'm pretty sure that we were paying the same amount for the room.)

Anyway, I also had one room (the first time I stayed here) that was terribly loud with what sounded like carts being rolled across the floor above. (Maybe I was below the laundry??) I've not had that problem since, but still it was an issue. If I do again, I will ask to move.

The staff is hit or miss. Most everyone has been fairly helpful. However, when I called downstairs to tell them the iron in my room was broken, I received a fairly condescending description of how to use an iron. I even humored the guy by trying again, but ended up having to call downstairs again before I ruined any of my suits. Thankfully, a lady picked up and sent a new iron up right away.

Overall, I do recommend this hotel. Don't expect perfection and you'll be fine. The location and room size alone make the hotel worth staying in, but try to find a deal on the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for one that does not look out to a brick wall.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We take these reviews seriously and will share your feedback with our team. We would love for you to come back soon and experience the seamless experience we know the Michelangelo can deliver. Please feel free to reach out directly to reservations@michelangelohotel.com so we can help plan your next trip!

Reviewed 18 May 2013

We have just returned from a stay at this Hotel and could not fault it apart from the expensive drinks at the bar. We had a deal through Secret Escapes and the rooms and ambiance were really well presented although no real view but what do you expect in a very large city. The room we had was a great size and plenty of room for the two of us and very clean. Staff were very helpful and friendly and always happy to do what they could for you. We had pastries, tea and coffee included into the price for breakfast which is a real bonus and set you up for the morning until lunch. In a previous review we had read that the pastries where never replenished but we saw them being topped up most mornings of our stay with fresh ones. The location of this hotel is just the best, right in the heart of Midtown very near to all the theaters and literally just around the corner from Times Square. There are loads of places to eat and drink nearby from affordable to expensive which again is a bonus! Perfect Hotel for a stay in New York and easy access to many locations and attractions. Even a chill out in Central Park!!

3  Thank DizzyDi33

Thank you very much for the very nice review! We look forward to helping you plan your next trip and visit to Michelangelo!

Reviewed 18 May 2013

Very convenient for theater district, shopping and other attractions. Facility and rooms were clean and spacious, but I would not recommend interior room due to lack of outside light. Lobby restaurant serves a nice selection of breakfast items and fresh coffee and pastries are served on the lower level each morning. Staff was very courteous and helpful.

Also attended a catered evening function that was well done

Room Tip: Request exterior room when booking.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 772grgaz

Thank you for the very nice review and for taking the time to share your experience with everyone. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 15 May 2013

We have stayed five times at the Michelangelo and would never consider another hotel. The Michelangelo's perfect location, excellent staff, and large luxurious rooms keep us coming back time and time again. It has the perfect contrast between the hyper stimulation of the City and the relaxed, elegant, peaceful feel of the hotel. Wonderful place to come back to after a busy day.
For the best experience ask for an exterior room. Interior rooms are dark and have no view. Also ask for a room on the upper floors to mitigate street noise. They do have a continental breakfast included with the room although it only amounts to pastries, coffee, and tea. There is a prepared food store a few steps down the street from the hotel entrance for low cost snacks and food.

Room Tip: Upper floor exterior room.
2  Thank LJLERC

Thank you so much for the glowing review! We are looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 14 May 2013

This hotel had no view what so ever, you just see wall from your windows.
room was small.
furnitures in the room was classy or more like outdated? i am not sure what to call it.
the lobby area have same theme, classic .
recommended for people who are not looking for typical modern room/hotel.
location was ok.

2  Thank Rurina
Katherine S, Owner at The Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you for the review. We would love to see you again. Please let us know prior to your next stay and we will give you a room with a view of 7th Ave or 51st Street. Please note a lot of our guests prefer the courtyard view which tend to be a little quieter.