“Gem in New York”

Ranked #37 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Ottawa
“Gem in New York”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel for our first visit to New York City. Would definitely stay there again or any other Michelangelo hotel. Very clean and quiet hotel with very spacious rooms, just down the street from Times Square. Very luxurious hotel. The pictures don't quite do it justice. The staff is incredible from maintenance, to front desk to doorman. Everyone who works there! We really felt special. I've stayed in five star hotels all over the world and this property ranks high on my list!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Katherine S, Manager at The Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you so much for the great review! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Compared to other hotels I have stayed in in NYC (the Omni and the Sofitel) the rooms here are huge. My room also appeared to have been refurbished recently and had nice wooden flooring.

However I (and several of my colleagues staying in other rooms) were woken several times during the night by the heating/air conditioning system, turned itself on and off and rattled.

I would stay here again solely due to the rooms and good location but the rest of the hotel was a disappointment. Nobody ever opened the (very heavy) front door, reception staff were abrupt and I had to queue to check in as there was only 1 person on the desk.

A big annoyance is having to pay for wifi in a hotel that already costs over $450 a night.

Not my favourite NY hotel (I would have rated 3.5 stars if I could) but if you want space then you could do a lot worse

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jimnem40
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I apologize if you have noise issues during your stay and the lack of presence you experienced at the front door. This is not the standard of our service. We would love for you to give us another try. Please feel free to reach out directly at reservations@michelangelohotel.com
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The hotel is beautiful, great location. My biggest complaint was all the staff except bar staff were very unfriendly, unhelpful and even rude and hostile at times. I wasn't treated as a guest but rather an unwelcome visitor. I was constantly asked over 3 days if I was a guest of the hotel, the parking situation is not great, you have to carry your luggage down the street from your car to the hotel. Also continental breakfast was underwhelming ...I was told I couldn't be provided jam with my scones. For the price of my room, I think they could provide jam.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Elise M
Katherine S, Manager at The Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is important to us. I am sorry that you had the experience that you did. This is not level of service that we are known to provide. We would love to welcome you back and prove to you that we can do better. Please feel free to reach out directly at reservations@michelangelohotel.com
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

The locatiln is hard to beat, not too close to Times Square, but close enough to enjoy the fun. Also close to the park, for a nice run in the morning. Don't miss the pastries in the lower floor, simple but functional. The room service kitchen is also very good.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank VCMoreira
Thank you for the great review! Hopefully we will get to see you again soon!
Mystic Ct
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We have been staying at this hotel for over 13 years, and the main reason is the service! Besides being in a great location close to subways and theaters and restaurants etc.
Our most recent stay was on Christmas Eve. We booked a suite and a room with two beds for our adult age girls traveling with us. Our suite #521 was perfect! Huge, clean and quiet! Perfect for room service breakfast and opening stockings with our kids.
I have to mention the people/employees that made our holiday stay enjoyable, and who always go above and beyond to make us feel comfortable every time we stay. (8-10x a year)
Walter at the front desk. Remembers our names and room we like. Henry. What can I say about Henry! The kindest, helpful, charming Bellman ever! Cesar goes out of his way everytime to help and welcome us as well! Bernie at the bar remembers our drinks and always goes out of his way to be kind.Even Christmas eve with a cold! Feel better Bernie.
Room service guy (forgot his name) great! Room service might be the fastest in the city!
Yes, we stay here a lot, and are "regulars" but I truly beleave this hotel and these employees are exceptional. Also I should mention Joseph, and Carmin, they were off this trip but are great as well. Thank you for always making us feel comfortable! See you all soon.

Room Tip: Rooms on 50th street side are somewhat quieter. Suites..503 and 603 are nice as well.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank newenglander010
Katherine S, Manager at The Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you so much for the glowing review! We really appreciate your loyalty and will share your feedback with our staff. Cant wait to see you again soon!
Annapolis, MD, USA
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Forty-five years ago my husband and I honeymooned at the Taft Hotel in NYC, which is now the Michelangelo Luxury Hotel. The Michelangelo offered us a VERY special rate for our anniversary so we could revisited our honeymoon hotel, which we did in Dec 2013. We had a beautiful suite and excellent service. We were within walking distance to Times Square, Restaurants, Theater District and shopping. We had a wonderful time. Thank you Michelangelo for a memory we will treasure!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Happy Anniversary! We are so happy that we could make this occasion special for you! And we hope that you won't wait another 25 years to see us again. We think it should be an annual trip.
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We just stay during Thansgiving and the hotel was part of our wonderful family vacation. Since our arrival the staff had excellent attention with us. We arrive early and our room was already available. We stay at a suite and was really an asset for us. We have like 2 separate spaces where our daughter could play and see TV and my husband could take a nap between our long days. Super nice European style in the rooms with red, black and whites. Excellent location, near amenities. Would definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for the nice review! Come back and visit us again soon!