My husband and I were going to be in town over night to see "Rocky" on Broadway. Having luck with the site in the past we decided to forgo the outrageous hotel rates of NYC and see what we could find on Hotwire and we were Blessed with The Micheangelo.
The location of this hotel was perfect for us. It is literally right across the street from the back entrance of the Winter Garden Theatre where Rocky was being performed. It is also only several blocks down from Times Square (you can see where the "ball" drops from the corner of the hotel).
We arrived early and though our room was not yet ready we were warmly greeted by the Doorman (who took and held our luggage) and the front desk clerk who gave us an E.T.A for when we could return. After a quick lunch, and trip to Times Square, we walked back to the hotel and waited in the lobby for the 1/2 hour it was going take to finish getting the room ready. At this point we were approached by the bellman, Henry. Henry was absolutely wonderful!!! He checked on our room several times for us without us having to ask. He also noticed my husband had difficulty walking and asked if we would like a room closer to the elevator so he didn't have to walk as far. We were very appreciative and said yes. He was very personable and very easy to talk to as we made our way up to the room. He had told us he had been there for 25 years and it was obvious he loved his job.
Whether intentional or not, the hotel's décor in the common areas had a very 1920's feel. It was great. Our room was very large and very comfortable. Bed linens, pillows, and bed were soft and beyond comfortable. The bathroom was also quite large. I loved the bath towels, they were huge!Everything was VERY clean.
A final plus to this hotel is that the check out was 1 pm. That is late by many standards.
There are a couple of small things that were slightly negative for us. For the most part you could not hear any traffic (inside or out), but being outside of the elevator, whenever the doors would open on our floor, there is a very loud "ding". This got annoying when it woke me up in the middle of the night. Although the bathroom's tub was a large garden tub perfect for soaking, the sides of the tub were VERY high. Have mobility issues, my husband was unable to step into the tub as he normally can. He had to sit on the side, swing his legs in and then stand up. Also, because the tub is so large there is not a lot of room, but they squeezed the toilet in the space. Your legs were literally hitting the toilet paper holder because it was so close to the toilet. In addition, there are very few electrical outlets throughout the room (At least in our room). I had to crawl on the floor to try and plug my cell phone in so it could be by the bed. Finally, everything (especially seating in common areas and carpeting throughout) felt a little worn.
Overall the place was great, we would recommend, and we would return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Be our guest! You will be honored with all the attention and impeccable service you deserve. Experience a place that captures the imagination and attention of the world. So close to NY's Theatre District, Times Square's entertainment and corporate headquarters, proximity to Rockefeller Center--you are in the perfect corner of the city for all you wish to do. With meeting and personal event facilities, plan a perfect event with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Preferred Hotels, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Michelangelo Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Michelangelo Hotel New York City
- Michelangelo Hotel New York City
- Michelangelo New York