“Loved It!!”

The Michelangelo Hotel
Ranked #37 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Loved It!!”
Reviewed 3 May 2005

My husband and I just spent the weekend at the Michelangelo hotel for his birthday and we loved it. We had booked a deluxe room and when we arrived where given a studio. It was beautiful. We had a king size bed, sofa, loveseat, cocktail tables, desk, vanity area with stool and mirror - and the bathroom was huge- there was even a TV on the counter by the sink. We valet the car which was a little more expensive than self parking but well worth not having to drive around ourselves. Even the hallways of the hotel were beautiful not to mention the lobby. We had drinks in the evening before we went out. The location is fabulous. Close enough to walk anywhere yet set apart that you can have a little peace and quiet after a day of shopping, eating, shows, etc. We will definitely go back there.

• Stayed April 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Beaufort, SC
Reviewed 29 April 2005

I know I stayed here in 2000, but this hotel has been bothering me for some time. I am only 15 so at the time I was 10. I book all of the vacations for my family and we usually stay at really nice places (such as the Four Seasons Hawaii, Kahala Mandarin Oriental, Westin Los Cabos, etc..). We booked a studio room with two kings. I thought the room would be great, since we are a family of four, the idea of two kings was great. Also, I did much research on this hotel and was very impressed by the excellent reviews. I was dissapointed once we walked in the door. We asked to upgrade to a suite and the staff looked at us like we were insane. Once we walked into the room, it looked great. However upon further inspection, the upholstery on some of the furniture was worn. The beds looked odd as well and then I discovered that the bed posts did not match up. One bed had bed posts at least 4 inches higher than the other. Automatically I felt we were put in the worst room they had. The bathroom had no bidet and a jacuzzi with chipping paint. I felt that I had let down my family and cried in the bathroom. The next morning was worse. My mother loves to have coffee in the morning, so I went down with my dad to the complimentary breakfast to get her some and bring it back up to the room. After getting some coffee, we started to head back to the room, only to get assaulted by one of the members of the staff saying that we would have to order coffee from room service if we wanted it. They did not say this in an appologetic manner but in a very rude tone. This idea of not being allowed to bring coffee upstairs was absolutely insane. Plus, the complimentary breakfast was rather disgusting so we went to a local bakery nearby (another guest advised us to go there). The W Times Square had just opened and my dad and I went over there for a look and loved it. The room was much nicer and cheaper. The staff was very nice as well, something which seemed to be foreign to us (since we stayed at the Michelangelo). This hotel is probably on the same level as a three star hotel. Nothing was special about this place and I WOULD NEVER ADVISE ANYONE TO STAY HERE!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2000
14 Thank rbrewer
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 25 April 2005

My husband and I spent the weekend at the Michelangelo in mid April, 2005. I booked a standard room through Travelocity and the front desk upgraded us to a Jr. Suite which was like a good sized bedroom (we had to wonder what the standard room was like). Unfortunately our room was near the elevator (and you could hear the "ding" everytime it arrived). There was also a VERY loud birthday party in the room next to us and the whole floor smelled like smoke. When I called the management, someone promptly asked them to tone it down and kept going back until 4am (which is when the party finally ended). We asked for a different room but were told the hotel was sold out. I told the management about the 4am party when I checked out but wasn't offered anything for compensation (didn't really expect to be anyway). The free breakfast was a few different types of muffins, coffee, and juice, very basic. The best part about the hotel is the location. Easy walk to Times Square and Central Park. All in all, my husband didn't think it was worth $225/night - but then we are from San Francisco where $225 would get you a very nice room, so it's hard to judge. All in all not a bad experience.

5 Thank mustardmindy
minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 18 April 2005

We had a 4 night stay from April 13-17, and everything went very smoothly. We had no problems with our Expedia booking and our check-in literally took about 3 minutes. Our first impression of the hotel was one of understated elegance - nothing shouts at you, but it's all very impressive with the marble, chandeliers and tapestry. Our room (520) again was quietly understated, and quite large in a nice corner - with quality furniture, bedding, and the marble bathrooms are the best part with the huge tubs, nice extendable makeup mirror and all the toiletries you could possibly want, and the little TV too. There is just nothing that needs any improvement! The hotel is perfectly located in Midtown and about half a dozen theaters are within 3-4 blocks. We were always very happy to go back to this hotel every night and escape to it's quiet and serene atmosphere. Out of curiosity we poked our heads into a few other hotels while we were in New York (The Waldorf, Pierre, Peninsula, Sofitel, Algonquin) and didn't feel like we were shortchanged staying at the Michelangelo in the least. The staff is friendly and this hotel is beautiful place to stay! We'll definitely stay again!

• Stayed April 2005
5 Thank MNJrh
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2005

Best Value I have found in NYC. Location is good, service is great and the rooms are modern., clean and big.

9 Thank kennyt5
Reviewed 4 April 2005

I am grateful to other Tripadvisor reviewers who helped me and my wife to consider this hotel. We stayed six nights and were very impressed by the size, cleanliness, quality, and location of the Michelangelo New York.

Location is excellent! It just north of the crowds of Times Square, but close enough for a five to ten minute walk to most theaters. If you use the subway, three different stations are within one or two blocks.

If you want a quality hotel that is wonderfully quiet and well managed in the center of the city, this is the place. Staying at the Michelangelo makes us look forward to our next trip to New York City.

• Stayed March 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 March 2005

We stayed two nights here, and it was great.

To call the lobby 'nice' is a bad joke, as it is ceiling to floor marble of jaw dropping quality. The lobby actually graced the cover of some Best in the World hotel magazine when we were there!

Our bathroom was fantastic, and the location is simply perfect; not in the middle of the craziness, but close enough to go 1 block for it if you want to. The staff were great, and, here's the kicker, the price is amazing. If you want really fantastic stuff, then of course the Ritz would be your thing, but you'll also pay an extra $250 per night for it. We paid a measley $225 per night, a real steal for what you get.

I'd stay here all over again, though, word to the wise, try to avoid the 3rd floor, where some of the windows overlook the square center (complete with enormous venting fan)....

• Stayed March 2005