“Great service and beds”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Morristown, New Jersey
“Great service and beds”
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Easy and flawless at check-in, getting extra towels, check-out and checking bags when leaving. Wife enjoyed running on treadmill in the gym (training for half-marathon). Nice touch to give kids journals. TV worked well, but surprised Wifi was not free.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank T1gerKn1ght
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Hello TigerKnight,

I truly enjoyed reading your wonderful review of The Westin New York Grand Central! It sounds like we exceeded your expectations, and that means very much to us. There is nothing like experiencing a flawless check-in, and I am so happy to see that you made it up to your spacious guest room in a timely manner. In addition, I am pleased to see that we were able to accommodate you with your request for extra towels! We always want you to feel comfortable during your time with us in the city.

We love to hear that your wife utilized our WestinWORKOUT Fitness Studio during your time at our property. Please let her know that us here at The Westin New York Grand Central are wishing her luck for her half-marathon! What an accomplishment she will have under her belt after completing it!

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us. We hope to welcome you back to New York City soon for another relaxing and rejuvenating visit!

Director of Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The Westin at Grand Central provided us a wonderful stay in NYC during one of the craziest times of the year! When we checked into the hotel - even though we were early, the check in representative allowed us to access our room. My fiance' had communicated with them prior to our arrival because he was planning to propose so it was necessary that he got into the hotel room earlier than expected. The staff was so friendly and so accommodating. The room was very clean and offered excellent amenities. I thought it was a superb stay with a true NYC feel. On top of that, the general manager sent chocolate covered strawberries up to our room for the evening since he knew that my fiance was planning on proposing while we were walking around the city. The Westin truly made this such a romantic stay for us and a memorable stay that we will always speak highly of. Thanks so much Westin! We hope to stay with you guys again soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if possible to see the City at night!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello Zworldtraveler55,

From all of us here at The Westin New York Grand Central, we would like to congratulate you on your recent engagement! Thank you for allowing our team to be a part of this special time in your life. We cannot wait to welcome you and your loved one back to our property soon!

I am so happy to see that your fiancé was able to check-in to your room early in order to prepare for the upcoming proposal. It is very important to us to provide our guests with exceptional and accommodating service, and it seems like we did just that during your time with us. We love to hear that you also admired our well cared-for guest rooms and thoughtful amenities! We always strive to provide our guests with a relaxing and rejuvenating environment!

What a nice surprise it must have been to come back to chocolate covered strawberries from our General Manager, Edward Maynard. I am so happy to see that we were able to create such a romantic and memorable stay for you and your fiancé. We are looking forward to creating more magical moments for you in the future!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This past weekend was my 4th stay at this property. I have stayed in many hotels in many cities, and never written a hotel review before, but the service we received this time was so good that I went ahead and set-up a trip advisor account so I could let others know. We love the hotel's location since it is convenient to everything, especially every subway line (which being former New Yorkers is our preferred mode of NYC transportation). We have always found the service and rooms to be very good. This visit, however, was even better than expected thanks to Will O., the front desk manager. Will really went above and beyond in making sure our stay was great. We were in town for my son's birthday, and Will made sure we had a great room (very spacious and clean with Chrysler Building views). He also had a special birthday treat sent up to our room, which was a huge hit with my son. Will O. truly embodies what customer service should be. We will continue to only stay at this hotel when in NYC.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Hello David F,

Wow! What an amazing review to read! It is truly rewarding to see what a special and memorable visit you had here at our property. To see that you created a TripAdvisor account just to share your wonderful experience means very much to all of us here at The Westin New York Grand Central. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back for your 5th stay soon!

Thank you for noting our convenient location in Manhattan! As former New Yorkers, you definitely understand the importance of having a subway station nearby to travel around the city. I am pleased to see that you valued this aspect of our property, along with our spacious and well-cared for guest rooms!

On top of enjoying our location and facility, I am thrilled to see what a positive impact Will had on your stay with us. It sounds like he truly exceeded your expectations and definitely added his special touch to ensure you had a memorable visit. I love to see that your son loved the birthday surprise Wiill sent up! Will will be recognized for the outstanding service he provided to you and your family during your stay. I have no doubt that he is looking forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share the details of your experience with us and the TripAdvisor community! Stay well!

Best,

Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Located within walking distance to Grand Central Station, this Westin is somewhat convenient. We had a corner room because I had read they were nice, but our 19-year-old son had a far better room. He also had a nice tub, whereas we had a shower only. Both rooms were quite spacious, for NY standards. We did have a slice of a view of the empire State Building, which changes colors at night during the holidays.

This was a trip to visit our 23-year-old daughter over the holidays, so I brought along the Christmas stockings as a surprise and hung them in the windows.

It was snowing quite a bit and it was convenient that the hotel provided large umbrellas for guest's use. Housekeeping was good, and hotel staff was average. Breakfast in the coffee shop, however, was quite a let-down. The Italian restaurant across the street was pretty good for dinner, but not outstanding.

Overall, this was a decent stay, though I've experienced superior Westin hotels. Stay here if you're able to get a good discount.

Room Tip: Just ask for a suite upgrade, and it should be good.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Hello Rhonda C,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your trip to visit your daughter over the holidays. I think it is so sweet that you decided to bring your family’s Christmas stockings as a nice surprise. With a lovely view of the Empire State Building along with snow falling outside your window, it sounds like the perfect scene to be celebrating the holidays with your loved ones.

I am pleased to see that you admired our convenient location near Grand Central Station, along with our spaciously designed guest rooms. We feel priviledged to be able to offer our guests rooms of such size. I am also happy to see that you valued our housekeeping services, as it is very important to us to provide our guests with a well cared-for guest rooms.

As a Westin property, it is important for us to provide our guests with exceptional service and to anticipate the needs of our guests throughout their stay. Thank you for noting the convenience of our complimentary large-sized umbrellas during the times when it was snowing. While we always want to be thought of as a superior Westin, I would love for you to contact me directly to further discuss the details of your stay with us, as we hope to see you return to our property in the future!

I am looking forward to speaking with you!

Connecticut
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I am Starwood Gold. Stayed here one night in February. I'll make this short and sweet:

1.) Clerk did not provide the free WiFi code at check-in. Starwood Gold is entitled to it (or some other check-in perk, but he could not care less that I was Gold.)

2.) No robes in room.

3.) The towels look like they had been used since the 90s. They were LITERALLY coming apart at the seems. These look the towels I use at home to wash my dog or my car. I am NOT exaggerating.

4.) Housekeeping knocked on our door at 9:05 on a Sunday morning. We would have put out the "Do not disturb sign" except it was missing from our room. We figured "We'll be gone by 10:00, we should be good." But nope. There was housekeeping, bright and early (relatively) on a Sunday morning.

One expects more from a Westin. I can get better service, a bigger room, nicer towels and free WiFi at a Courtyard. What's the point of a premium brand if the whole experience feels like a Best Western?

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AvoidingAirTravel
Hello AvoidingAirTravel,

I would first like to thank you for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels & Resorts, and for taking the time to share your experience with us here at The Westin New York Grand Central.

Our valued Gold Members should be offered a choice of either 250 Starpoints, complimentary In-Room Internet Access, or a complimentary beverage at our restaurant during check-in. I sincerely apologize for your experience, as it is very important to us for our members to receive their welcome gifts upon arriving at our property. I have forwarded your review to the Director of Front Office who is actively retraining his associates in order to ensure a friendly and smooth check-in process.

Thank you for also sharing the details of your experience with housekeeping. I have also forwarded your review to the Director of Housekeeping who is working to ensure only the highest quality amenities are offered to our guests. I would love for you to contact me directly to further discuss the details of your time with us here in New York City. I am hopeful that after speaking, our team will be better equipped to address all of the points you have noted in your review.

I look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank you again for taking the time to share your insight. We here at The Westin New York Grand Central greatly appreciate it.

Philipsburg, St. Maarten-St. Martin
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Well located, close to Grand Central. Not cheap, but the rooms are new, reasonably spacious, and the beds are great. Any downsides? Yes. Arrogant staff and the rooms are not clean. Housekeeping had forgotten to clean the bathroom and to change the bed sheets (hairs!). Front staff response: if I would mind coming back around 7pm, when another standard room would be available. They wouldn’t give me a better room, or free wifi. Never again will I stay at this Westin.

Room Tip: Check first if the room is clean.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank DutchTree
Hello DutchTree,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of The Westin New York Grand Central. I am pleased to see that you valued our convenient location, in addition to our newly renovated property. I would also like to thank you for noting our spacious guest rooms and comfortable Heavenly Bed!

It is extremely important to us to provide our guests with exceptional service in a well cared-for facility at all times. I have forwarded your review to the Director of Front Office, along with the Director of Housekeeping, who are actively addressing the details of your review. I would love for you to contact me directly to further discuss your experience with us. After speaking, our team will be able to better address the points of your review, and I also hope to turn your experience around.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rome, Italy
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My suitcase was lost by the airline and was supposed to be delivered to the hotel, but never got there. the airline and transport company said it was delivered and signed for by the hotel but the hotel never received it. The concierge , Ms. Sandra Moreno, was superb. Despite the fact that it was not at all the hotel's fault she spent almost the whole day trying to track down this suitcase and at the same time keeping me informed of any or no progress. She never once lost her patience or calm with me or showed any sign of frustration at my numerous followups. Thanks to her we found out that the company had indeed delivered the suitcases but to the wrong hotel!!
thank you Sandra and thank you Westin

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hello TheresaBrooklyn,

I am thrilled to hear that Sandra took exceptional care of you and persevered until your suitcase was finally found. It seems as though Sandra handled your situation beautifully, and I can assure you that she will be recognized for her outstanding efforts. She provided you with a real life example of the thoughtful service The Westin loves to provide our guests with. I am so happy to know that Sandra was able to assist you with tracking down your luggage!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. From all of us here at The Westin New York Grand Central, we hope to see you back in the city soon!