“Great hotel; great location”

The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #217 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Texas
“Great hotel; great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Booke reservation on points plan: stay 4/5th night free. Arrived at 8:30pm on Saturday, and room wasn't ready after we walked in the rain with luggage. We were drenched so more annoyed with this delay. Desk agent worked quickly while we snacked in restaurant. We were upgraded to XXL corner king with awesome views on high floor, which was major bonus on points. Rest of stay was enjoyable. Decent workout room. Food/room service adequate. Hskpg and bellman terrific. Good shower; comfy bed. Would stay here again!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ebunnyg
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Hello Ebunnyg,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review with us and the TripAdvisor community! I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your Premium Corner King guest room and the amazing view of the city it had to offer! In addition, I have no doubt that you had a revitalizing workout in our very own WestinWORKOUT Fitness Studio. I am pleased to see that you took advantage of our state-of-the-art facility.

I would also like to thank you for noting the exceptional service you received from both our housekeeping and bell teams. We hope to welcome you back soon so we can wow you once again!

Director of Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

I went to NYC to visit my girlfriends and I have to say I couldn't have picked a better hotel. You could tell every single employee was on the same page; smiling and very attentive without expecting anything. I visit NYC a lot and this is the biggest room I've stayed in by far. I was on the eight floor but still had a pretty cool view. I've stayed at the W and it was great but this was way better. I forgot my package in the room and I would like to thank the security department for handling the issue for me and to Molly at guest services who answered all my emails when I asked my questions.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank fresh4yphe
Dear Fresh4yphe,

Thank you for taking the time to share the wonderful experience you had with us here at The Westin New York Grand Central! We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your spacious and modernly designed guest room, in addition to the breathtaking view you had of the city!

Providing our guests with exceptional service is very important to us, and for this reason, both Molly and our security team will be recognized for the positive impact they had on your stay. We appreciate you noting their efforts!

All of us here at the hotel hope to welcome you back soon for another relaxing and revitalizing stay here in The Big Apple! Thank you and as always, stay well!

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

This was my first slightly apprehensive visit to New York as a tourist. Not only did I enjoy every second of it - and that is someone who is scared of heights, but could not be dragged away from The Empire State Building - I loved it. Such an amazing location almost opposite The Chrysler Building very close to Grand Central Station. But most importantly returning back every night to The Westin Grand Central was like coming home - safe, cosy and welcoming. It was my daughters 30th birthday and there was a very personal card and cake awaiting us in the room. All the staff felt like old friends as they asked about our day and instantly recognised us. On our last day we had lunch in the bar before setting off for the airport, not to mention the bubbly- ribs, salads etc all we could have asked for and well priced. We WILL be coming back.

Room Tip: Recommend room 3814 on 38th floor. Twin double beds. Great view and quiet. I will be booking this ro...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank AventurineQ
Dear AventurineQ,

It sounds like you had a truly special and memorable time with us here at The Westin New York Grand Central. Thank you for choosing to stay with us while celebrating your daughter’s birthday in the city! We hope you both choose to celebrate with us again next year!

Thank you for noting our convenient location right next to Grand Central Station! In addition, I am pleased to see that you explored the city and couldn’t get enough of the Empire State Building! How fun!

All of us here at the hotel are delighted to see what a nice visit you had with us here in The Big Apple, and we cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future!

Stay well,

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Arrived after 16 hours traveling to find a great quality hotel, the rooms were finished to a very high standard with clean crisp sheets on the beds, a safe and a great view from my window. Our 4 night stay was great with the hotel being well situated for all the major attractions, the only complaint I would have is a ridiculous $40 charge for Wifi? Get real! I stay in hotels all over Europe and no one charges that rate.Tip go downstairs in the lobby and you can log onto loads of free Wifi. The only other Niggle I have, which is out of the control of the hotel would be the constant sound of horns beeping all night, be prepared and bring your ear plugs. The staff in the bar were very friendly , however the reception staff could have been a bit more attentive but all in all for a city hotel a great stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear J H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review of The Westin New York Grand Central! I am delighted to see that you valued the exceptional care we take of our facility, in addition to the beautiful view you had from your guest room. I am pleased to see that you took advantage of the complimentary WiFi we offer our guests in our lobby, as we understand the importance of internet to our guests.

As providing our guests with friendly and attentive service is extremely important to us, I will be passing your review to the rest of our team to ensure our guests enjoy our friendly service at all times!

We hope to welcome you back soon for another lovely stay with us in The Big Apple!

Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Where do I start? First of all, our room was not ready for check-in at the 3 PM check-in time on our reservation. When we tried to get a cab, there was a huge line of people waiting -- unfortunately, the doormen didn't seem to be doing a good job of hailing cabs. We had received a late check-out the next day, but when we left and came back to our room, the key cards (both of them) didn't work. It was after 2:00 pm (although our check-out time was for later in the day), so I assume the staff who programmed our key cards didn't program them correctly. Needless to say, this delayed our departure and we almost missed our return trip home. When I called to check out of the room via phone, I was sent to the Front Desk voicemail (!!).

The hotel does have large rooms (in comparison to other rooms in NYC), and housekeeping was good.

I've been a loyal Starwood member for years, but this experience is questioning my loyalty to Starwood properties. I'm very disappointed in our recent stay -- I was expecting a lot more competence from a Westin property.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hilfe
Dear Hilfe,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us here at The Westin New York Grand Central, and thank you for your strong loyalty to Starwood Hotels & Resorts. I am delighted to see that you valued our large rooms and exceptional housekeeping services, although I would like to sincerely apologize for the other details you have shared with us. It is truly important to us for our guests to experience attentive, friendly, and timely services at all time. For this reason, I would love for you to contact me directly at your earliest convenience in order to hear the further details of your stay. Thank you again for sharing your review, and I hope to speak with you soon.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We planned 4 nights in New York city and definitely picked a great hotel. Excellent location made it possible to jump on the subway from the world famous Grand Central (make sure you take time to grab some oysters at the station!) and head to any neighbourhood in Manhattan. Able to walk to the shopping on fifth ave, walk to a play on broadway, or stroll up to Central Park. We went for an amazing run to and through the park our first morning in the city. Excellent way to explore! Super friendly concierge helped give advice on getting last minute tickets to the play we wanted to see (Book of Mormon - must see!) and suggested a restaurant based on our preferences (Nobu - amazing!). I would definitely stay here again and next time will bring the kids.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jokenmom,

I am thrilled to see what an amazing time you had with us here at The Westin New York Grand Central! It sounds like you truly took advantage of our convenient location and all of the fun and exciting offerings of the city. We are looking forward to welcoming back you and your family soon so you can enjoy more runs through Central Park and see another Broadway show!

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience. We are delighted to see just how much you enjoyed your time in the city with us.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We wanted to see as much of New York as possible in 3 days. So we wanted a great hotel in a central location. We couldn't be happier at the Westin Grand Central. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The room was very tasteful and spacious. The rainfall shower was a nice touch for the bathroom. A word of advice; ask the doorman to call a cab if you are needing to go to the train station when your stay is over. Cabs won't pick you up if you try to hail one with your bags on the street. Overall, very happy with the experience and will visit again if I am in New York.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank blueknight2013
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Blueknight2013,

I am so happy to see that you had a fantastic stay with us here at The Westin New York Grand Central! Our prime location offers our guests quick and easy access to the entire city, and I am pleased to see that this convenience allowed you to experience the best of the Manhattan during your time with us! I am also delighted to see that you enjoyed the comfort of your spacious guest room and the thoughtful amenities we offer, such as our Heavenly Shower!

We hope to welcome you back to our property soon! Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely experience with us with the TripAdvisor community!