“Great location, clean hotel”

The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #223 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dublin, Ireland
“Great location, clean hotel”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Nice hotel, great location, very clean.
We took a room for four which consisted of two double beds and there wasn't much room for anything else, so perhaps a bigger sized room would have been better given the size of the party booked it.
The bar downstairs was VERY expensive, so only had one drink there!
Would have preferred a proper shower rather than a shower attachment in a bath, but that's just my personal preference.
The staff at reception were helpful as were the porters

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Thank you for your input. I am happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. I hope you enjoyed our Heavenly Beds. We designed these with you, our guests, in mind. I understand your shower preference as I have this preference as well. However, we are happy to offer tubs as well because some guest prefer tubs. We are trying to provide for all of our guests.

That is great you dined at The LCL. It provides great handcrafted cocktails. We hope we will see you at our property in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us with your preferences before your future stay and we would be happy to try to accommodate to your requests. We aim to provide you a memorable stay.

Director of Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed at the Westin Grand Central for 4 nights in May 2014.

I am a big fan of the Westin brand and was anticipating a pleasant stay at the New York facility. Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed.

While room size is quite good, the rooms are old and desperately in need of a face lift. Sound proofing was terrible, and from the 23rd floor I could hear every car horn beep and dust bin crash in the city. This obviously seriously impacted sleep quality and is worth keeping in mind.

Service was mediocre at best. How hard is it to smile? While I understand that there is something of an abrupt style to some New Yorkers, this doesn't translate well at an allegedly 5 star hotel.

As annoying for me were the little things - the key cards that didn't work ("You don't have photo ID? Well I can't give you a new card then, can I! Stand over there and wait for security'), the internet that kept cutting out each few minutes, the plumbing noise each time the room upstairs flushed the toilet...all those things that annoy and should never be happening at a hotel of this level.

On the positive side, the gym as a good standard and very well maintained. Worth a visit to chase away the jetlag.

Anyway, there's plenty to work on for the Westin Grand Central, and I will look at other options for my next trip to NYC.

Room Tip: Rooms are badly sound proofed. To avoid road noise, go as high as you can.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ian_Pratt,

I want to apologize for your experience and thank you for your feedback. We thank you for your informing us of your stay so we can actively improve our service.

We aim to provide excellent guest service that the Westin is known for. As you stay at Westins continuously, you understand the level of guest service you expect. We only want to provide a memorable stay for all of our guests and I am sorry that was not your experience.

If you wish to further discuss your experience, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. We would never want this to be your lasting impression.

Director of Guest Service
travelmomwkids
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We booked this Westin for a one night stay in May to meet up with friends for a pre-mother's day weekend treat. The hotel was surprisingly nice. The room was a little smaller than the Westin on Times square but better decorated, not as utilitarian. It was fairly clean and had a rain shower had which I really enjoyed after a sticky day in the city. The beds were also clean and comfortable. The only draw back was that it did not have a club room that gold/plat. members could enjoy. The check-in was fast and the staff friendly. I just wished they had some complimentary water. They did send up a complimentary dried fruit and nuts snack which was a nice touch.

All-in-all I think this may be my SPG favorite hotel in the city to stay. It was away from the congestion of tourists but central enough that we could get to places conveniently. There are a lot of stores and restaurants near by as well as a bakery/convenience store 2 doors down. It you are driving its right next to Mid-town tunnel and icon parking 2 blocks away ($40 with internet coupon/day). They have valet parking but its $60 a day.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
We are delighted to hear that we are your favorite hotel in the city! We hope to become your home away from home! I am glad to hear you truly enjoyed our Heavenly Beds that we designed with our guests in mind. Our Heavenly Bath with the rain shower head does provide a refreshing experience for our guests and we hope adds to your relaxation.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed you entire stay. We do not have a club level and do wish we could offer that service to our guests. We are happy to provide all of the service and amenities that Westin promises.

We hope we will still see you back at our property soon!

Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This was our second trip to the Westin Grand Central. We enjoyed it just as much as the first time. The room is comfortable and clean. The beds are very nice and very comfortable. We had no complaints about the service - everyone was very nice and professional. We love the location as well. Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marcia836
We thank you for recommending our hotel to the TripAdvisor community. It sounds like we provided you a perfect stay from every aspect.

I am happy to hear you were able to exceed your expectations from service, to location, to our Heavenly Beds, and the spacious rooms.

We can’t wait to exceed your expectations again when you choose to stay with us again!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I love the Westin Grand Central.
From the email I received prior to my stay from Stephanie Hepner, westin's experience specialist, welcoming me to the hotel & I loved my nice room and welcome amenities. This is a wonderful place to stay and I highly recommend it for business and/or pleasure! The location is great and the staff is so friendly!! You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2014
That is fantastic to hear that you received the guest service Starwood aims to provide. Stephanie is passionate about guest service and I am thrilled to hear she provided you fantastic guest service. She will be recognized for her efforts and we thank you for taking the time to recognize her efforts.

We hope to see you back at our property so we can provide you that excellent guest service again.

Director of Guest Service
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We had a comfortable stay, but were a bit surprised to find that even thought the room rates are about $300 per night, they still charge guests $15/ day for internet access and $2 for every call to an 800 number. When we asked about it, they removed these charges, which was nice, but it is disappointing to see that some hotels will still try to charge for things that have commonly become free and are normally included in thehotel rates

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Franz J
We thank you for your feedback as we use it to improve our service. I am happy to hear you had a comfortable stay with our Heavenly Beds and Bath. I understand your expectation for these items to be free. Currently it is a Starwood brand policy that we must abide. We hope to offer a possible solution in the future.

We hope we still see you at our property in the future.

Brookline, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Well-situated - but the website says it's a very new hotel. Indeed, it's refurbished, fairly old place - and the age still shows. Windows moderate in keeping out noise. Rooms OK but just that. Public spaces nice.
Avoid front of hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
We have renovated our property and are delighted to offer our guests the newest services and amenities. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location as it’s easy to get around to almost all of Manhattan through Grand Central Station.

As the city of New York can be quite noisy, we hope to provide a relaxing quiet retreat for all of our guests. We are hoping to implement a new solution to reduce noise for our guests regarding the street noise.

We thank you for your feedback and actively seek to improve our services.