“Worst experience I've ever had!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin New York Grand Central

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #221 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Worst experience I've ever had!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

After staying at the Grand Central many different times for business and personal visits to NYC over the last couple of years I was shocked!!! At the little regard I was given for being a long time loyal client.

First of all, my girlfriend and I were not given the room type we had originally booked and only given the explanation of the fact that they were sold out and basically it was our tuff luck even though we patentiantly waited for our room to be ready.

The most ridiculous event was later that night when returning from a dinner with my girlfriend to find a hand written note in our room from the GM'S assistant saying they were sorry that they didn't give us the room that they had promissed but hope that we were enjoying the heavenly bed and shower?

The note was titled to me and a women's name other than my girlfriends name! Yes! That is correct,!!!!!!!! this idiot titled the note to me and another women's name that I've never heard of.

My girlfriend broke into tears and was never able to get over the entire thing and accused me if cheating on here, which of course was not the case and I had never heard of the women's name that was titled to me on the note.

We were booked for three nights
and my girlfriend left the next day heart broken and I'm still trying to convince her that this was a terrible mistake made on behalf of the Westin Grand Central NYC.

I called SPG to complain and even though I'm a loyal Gold status customer I have not received a call back to make good on their sloppy operation.

Next, I will scan the note that was written by the hotel management and post it on social media for everyone to see how much of a joke they really are.

Devistated SPG Client!!!!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 23Reg
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Per our personal conversation, we are working with you regarding your experience.

Director of Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

One of the worst hotel experiences I've had in my life (so much so that it's 1:30AM and I can't get to sleep before getting this all out):

Summary: No communication. Wet floors in first room. Takes 3 calls and 5.5 hours to resolve. Ask for an extra blanket after switching rooms. Takes another 3 calls and 1 hour to get that. Sounds like we have a jet engine outside our window.

We get into the room and we notice that there's a wet spot (not damp, soaking wet, literally I put my socks down for 2 minutes and they're wet) between the window and the bed in the room. So, well, you know, it's annoying, but no real harm done. I give the operator a call and tell them about the situation. We'll be out for dinner anyways, so as long as they fix it by the time we get back, there's no harm done.

We get back late. 11:00. I go to the front desk and check to see if the problem has been fixed, just in case. Figure it's all be taken care of. The front desk person checks the record. Looks like the problem got sent to engineering, and they wrote in that the job was "completed." Sounds fixed right? But no other details, so even the front desk person isn't completely sure what happened. He says: it should be fixed but call if you have any problems.

I get back, check the carpet, and nope, it's still completely wet. Whatever was completed never happened. I call down to the front desk and tell them. They said they'd look into it. 15 minutes later, I call again and just ask to be transferred to another room since it's already past 11. They transfer me to a "manager" who's apparently a hotel central information voicemail machine. I call back; they transfer me to a real manager who authorizes a room change. But oh, I'm not going to have the wet 35th floor room that I was given because of my SPG Gold status. I'm going to be moved to the 8th floor because they're booked out and that's all they have available. It'll be a "deluxe" room though he promises.

So we pack and move out. It's 11:30. Everyone's tired. There's nothing deluxe about the room. It looks like the only difference is that it's meant to be handicapped accessible and has no bathrobes. But whatever. We just need to get some sleep at this point. I call front desk for an extra blanket. The front desk says they'll send someone up. So I decide, I'm going to make a call with a friend in Cali. This way my family can get some sleep while I wait and I'll just intercept the guy when he comes. The call goes for 50 minutes. No sign of the guy. Nothing. Go back into the room. Call the desk again. They said they'll talk to housekeeping. Wait 10 minutes; don't hear anything. Call them back; finally the guy comes with the blanket. Literally over an hour since I've first asked for it.

Cherry on the top? Apparently there's some loud blower right outside our window on the 8th floor or something so it sounds like we're in an airplane the whole time.

Pros: The location is good and I like Westin beds.

Upshot: I'm up at 1:30 writing this review on Tripadvisor (Thank you Westin Grand Central! After 2 years of lurking you finally pushed me over the edge to write a review) instead of sleeping like I should have been doing 2 hours ago at any other place I would have stayed at.

Room Tip: Triple check your room for issues before leaving for the night. Looks like the hotel is showing its...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Yi D
I am terribly sorry for your recent experience with us. We aim to only provide the best service possible to all of our guests. I am sorry this was the impression of our property you received. We would never want this to be your lasting impression. Please contact me directly so we can discuss your experience further. I would love the opportunity to win back your loyalty.

Fairview, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I travel frequently for business, but I am extremely critical when I am taking my family on a vacation. I am easy going when I am by myself, but I want everything to be right if my family is with me. I purposely selected Westin Grand Central because it's not in the crowded Time Square area, but it's still within walking distance. Hotel location is convenient to both Fifth Ave shopping and to the theaters. The hotel is very well maintained, and the rooms are very modern and updated.

But what makes it even better is the pre-arrival email I received from Stephanie, Westin Experience Specialist. She answered all of my questions that I have for planning for my family's activities, and she also made sure that we get the room that is optimum for my family. She helped reduce the anxiety and pressure of traveling with two kids! :-) The extra effort and service provided by Westin Grand Central made this stay as one of my best experience with Westin ever!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wow!!! What a title to that review! Stephanie will certainly be recognized for her efforts ! I am delighted to hear she was able to provide the service Starwood and all Westins are known for! We are ecstatic to hear that we have become your favorite Westin!

We cannot wait to welcome you back to our property again soon. I know Stephanie would be excited to welcome to assist you with your stay again!

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel as part of a surprise trip for my Hubby. We were not disappointed. It's in a fabulous location, close enough to the best parts of interest in NYC.
I had emailed in advance to request a high floor, to enjoy the views, we were actually on the 20th which was okay as you don't spend much time in your room looking out of a window! The room was spacious and absolutely spotless. Plenty of towels which were all changed daily. Tea/coffee facilities were okay, but they were less than generous with milk, leaving only two little cartons per day. I asked for a few more which wasn't a problem. Mini fridge was well stocked, but pricey I thought.
There was a convention on the weekend we arrived, so the Hotel was very busy. This didn't seem to have any effect on delivery of service. The concierge was really helpful when we asked about clubs and bars etc locally. She wrote details down and gave us the best routes to get there.
Lovely hotel, lovely staff! Would definitely recommend to couples, groups or families.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
It was a pleasure having you with us as one of our special guests. I am delighted to hear you had a successful surprise for your husband and that you truly enjoyed your time with us! We are in a great location and aim to provide premium service for all of our guests.

The next time you stay with us we would be happy to send up a complimentary refrigerator to your room if you would like to store some items throughout your trip.

Thank you for recommending our property! We hope to provide you a memorable experience when you choose to stay with us again!

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Here now with third problem. Paying 600 per night. First room the window was open and could not be shut. It was 90 egress.

They moved me to downgraded side at same price. No remote in room. They been looking for it or replacement for an hour and no luck. No offer to adjust
Price. For 600 a night would think you get to watch T V!

What a rip off and poor service

Room Tip: Do not stay here
Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul F
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We are Starwood preferred, so we usually stay in one of their properties. This hotel had not gotten great reviews, but we chose it for it's location. I can honestly say that it was an outstanding choice! The front desk employees were so accomodating and helpful and our room on the top floor was great! The location was good for getting around and so close to Grand Central Station. Other than long wait for elevator, could not recommend anything to be improved. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michelle B
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Michelle B!

We are so happy to hear you truly enjoyed your entire stay with us! We loved having you with us as one of our special guests! We aim to provide all of our guests’ memorable stays and we delighted to hear that was your experience.

We hope to be your home away from home the next time you are in New York City!

Hope to see you soon!

litchfield county ct
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Westin Grand Central is our go-to hotel when coming in to NYC via train. Convenient location two blocks from Grand Central and spotless rooms. The staff is always very nice,and professional, we've never experienced any problems. The reviewer who mentioned the tiny elevator vestibule on the lobby level does have a point, it can be quite a crush. But we've never had to wait long for an elevator. We are SPG members, glad there is a special check-in desk for members as the check-in lines can be a bit long as well, but with a large hotel that's to be expected.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank edld
Thank you for your honest review! I am ecstatic to hear we provide you a comfortable, clean and a great stay! Our location is fantastic! It is positioned right in the center of everything allowing you to access the many hot spots of the city!

Our Heavenly Beds are just that! Heavenly! I hope you enjoyed you trip to the heavens and we hope to welcome you back to our property for another extraordinary experience!