“Could Stand Improvement”

The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #219 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed at the Westin Grand Central over Memorial Day Weekend and picked the hotel because of location and price. While location was excellent, there were a few issues. I was grossly overcharged for my 2 night stay, despite being reassured when checking out that there wouldn't be an issue and I would be charged the correct amount. It took 5 days for the amount to be refunded to my credit card. Also, when checking in, our room wasn't ready, which was fine, but as we checked our bags, the bellhops were arguing, which was extremely unprofessional. On our second night, we were rudely woken up at 7 am by the fire alarm going off, only to find out it was an error and then there were at least 5 more announcements that the alarm had gone off in error for the next 20 minutes or so. I certainly wouldn't have expected this at a 4 star hotel. On the plus side, the Westin in centrally located, an easy walk to Grand Central and the subway, not too far of a walk from Times Square either. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. I'm not sure I would stay here again due to the issues I experienced. I also had trouble getting on to the internet and when I asked at the front desk about this, the person working was not very friendly or helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Hello Anne,
I want to thank you for your honest feedback. The experience you had was not up to our standards of service we aim to provide. I completely agree the service issues with the bellmen are completely unacceptable. I have forwarded this feedback to our Director of Front Office and he is going to address our bell staff to ensure this doesn’t happen in the future. I apologize for the experience you had with your folio, however I am happy we were able to resolve the issue.

Unfortunately, for the fire alarm that was uncontrolled as a young guest had set it off. We are sorry that interrupted your morning as we would never have wanted that to be how you woke up at our property.

Please contact me directly if you wish to discuss your experience further as I agree this is not the experience we would want you to have at our property.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

1. Mold infested bathroom
2. Unprofessional Staff
3. Sub-par brand experience
4. Personal item stolen from the room

My experience at this particular Starwood property was during last Easter holidays. Our family including a 3 years old checked in on Sunday evening and out on Friday morning.

First of all, despite the promise of child friendly establishment, the room was in unacceptable condition while amenities missing from the room. Contrast to hotel services and accommodations list, the room was missing step-stool, potty seat, and so called "Fun" toys and activities bag specially designed for children. In return, we got mold infested bathroom, uneven-surface booster seat for step-stools (obviously for the safely of our child we refused), and a staff that wasn't even aware of children oriented goodies/activities. I mean in managerial position, he/she should know better to reduce the risk of injuring a child by not offering booster seat to replace as step-stools. Completely unaware of safety, injury risks, and liability.

I have one too many things to say bad about this "Westin" experience but one of them tops them all. On the day before our departure date, we lost a piece of jewelry worth about $800 that was kept inside a pouch. The hotel did its routine of ringing our family through their insurance company and dragged out any resolution for the past month or so. And the insurance company conducted so called "investigation" and found that there is no reason to suspect the hotel's staff so it must conclude that hotel is not liable. I am not even sure if this adjuster from the insurance company is qualified to conduct such "investigation" but it sure is subjective to not suspect anyone/event for the items to be missing from the hotel rooms. Also, they keep telling me that I have to keep all my high-value items (including clothing) in a in-room safe. I mean, how am I suppose to keep my suit, laptop, ipad, etc... in a safe that is a size of half a shoe box?

For my work/personal trips, I am a Gold SPG member and I used to find Westin a relatively well established brand/hotel. But, given how the latest experience of Starwood and Westin, I am certain that it's not worth my time/money. The basis of asking the customers to be loyal is to treat them back with hospitality and a great experience to remember by. For many years I've been using Starwood properties, I have a really hard time recalling an "experience" I can share with my friends and recommend them to try. Yes, there is a generic "welcome" smile when you check in and all. And I do believe my experience doesn't reflect all Starwood staff. But, the fact is, even with Gold SPG status, I never got upgraded rooms nor had and expedited services. I got the same room I paid for and stayed in the same line everybody else was standing. Not really sure if there is any reward for being a loyal customer to this brand.

It's good business for Westing and Starwood when a guest doesn't complaint and returns for more stays. But in the light of incidents and complaint for lost of personal items and sub-par brand experience, the company is nowhere to be found.

I might as well give some money to charity whenever I am away from home traveling and camp in the wilderness instead. I would probably have similar sense of security and environment.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank customersfirst2014

As per our earlier conversation, we attempted to assist you regarding your service issue.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have stayed at this property many times for business but this was my first time for pleasure. My son and I stayed here for 6 days to celebrate his 13th birthday. We were greeted warmly by Deidre who provided us a refrigerator for our room and wished my son a happy birthday. She made sure we had reservations/tickets for all our activities and knew our transportation options. I appreciated Deidre recognizing I was a return visitor and acknowledging my starwood status. She could not have been any nicer or more helpful. Stephanie in guest relations had a birthday brownie sent up for my son. The location of the property is excellent and the renovations made when this property became a Westin are enourmously better than when I stayed here as the Helmsley. The concierge was also very helpful with reservations and helping me identify the transportation options to get from NJ to midtown. The location in proximity to Grand Central station can't be beat. I highly recommend this property for the service, location and larger than usual rooms for the city. When staying at this property, ask for what you need to make your stay comfortable and pleasant. I do think the staff here will do everything possible to accomodate you. I will undoubtedly stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

It was our pleasure to see through the details of your stay! I am delighted to hear Deidre and Stephanie both went above and beyond to ensure you had a memorable stay! They will be recognized for their efforts! We thank you for taking the time to mention them and write a review on your recent stay with us.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to exceed all our expectations once again!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Westin Grand Central was very reasonably priced and in a good location for us. The staff was welcoming and extremely helpful. I had requested the rooms be on the same floor but they did better and had us right next to each other. I love the beds at the Westin, they are extremely comfortable. The hotel was clean and very quite.

Room Tip: Our room just happened to be in the back so it was not noisy at all.Not sure about the rooms on 42nd...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank deblog

We are delighted you enjoyed your girls weekend with us! We were delighted to have you stay with us and celebrate! We were happy to make sure your stay was the most comfortable! It was our pleasure to have your rooms next to each other to allow you to connect with each other easier!

We are delighted you enjoyed our Heavenly Beds! They are my favorite as well! We hope to see you back for a 5th girls weekend!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was the 2nd time i stayed in Westin this year when i visited New York.
I love to stay near grand central coz it is very convinient to travel b/t airports and it is a connecting points for multiple subway lines.

Westin is around 10mins walk from grand central. It is a relatively new hotel compared to all other hotels in New york. Room is big and nice. There is nothing that i can really complain. Maybe the only thing is when you look outside the windows, you can see the office building very clearly. However, this is probbably the issue for most of the hotels in New York.

I god a good deal from priceline and i definately worthy it. I will definitely go back there next time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and our location! Our spacious rooms are larger than New York City standards and we are glad you enjoyed this service.

We are located near many great attractions and we hope the next time you want to discover more of the city you will choose to stay with us. Being located only two blocks away from Grand Central Station allows our guests the ease of traveling the city.

I hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I think this hotel has flown under my radar. I have stayed here before but this time it seems to found a place in my heart. Ok enough of that. First, check in was painless. PEI at the front desk went out of her way to find me a room when I arrived early. Thank you. The room itself was good size for NYC. Bathroom was spotless. Like a clean bath. No hints of prior guests. Yeah. Hotel is about a block from Grand Central station. Easy walk even with luggage. If you come into Penn station, just hop a train to 42nd street and take the 7 over to Grand Central. Easy. Cab works too. Hotel gym is very good. Best workout in a hotel in a while. Cardio, free weights, machines and extras like the stability balls/mats. Very nice. Must add Stephanie helped me find a great running path in the city. Trying to keep these good habits while on the road. Ok trying to burn off the extra calories I scarfed down in the city. Great stay, Super staff. Will be back for sure.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Well we must say we like you as our special and loyal guest. We are delighted to assist you and make sure your stay is comfortable and memorable. Thank you for recognizing both Pei and Stephanie. They are both passionate about guest services and will be recognized for their efforts. We are delighted you enjoy our associates, the room as well as our level of guest service!

We look forward to seeing you again soon! I am sure Pei and Stephanie would be delighted to welcome you back.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We spent 3 nights at this hotel recently. Staff are courteous and facilities are good. Only issue for us was a room on the 7th floor facing the street was exceptionally noisy and inadequately soundproofed. Colleagues who had rooms higher up found the noise levels diminished and more tolerable.

Room Tip: Go high up and avoid a room facing the street
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

I apologize if you had difficulty experiencing a heavenly sleep on our Heavenly Beds. We are currently working on a solution to the street noise. We hope to implement a new window seal soon to help solve this service issue. The next time you are with us however, please request one of our rooms on a higher floor as this would help reduce the noise. You can also request one of our quietest rooms as well and we will try to accommodate your request to provide you a heavenly experience.

Hope to welcome you back soon!