“Good experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin New York Grand Central

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #221 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Room was small but clean and comfortable. We received friendly service during our entire stay. NYC is a place where you spend little time in the room, but this was an excellent home base! There was no tube, shower only...but it was fine with us. Recommended.

Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I have reservations to stay at the Westin Grand Central begining next week. Based on my initial interactions I'm considering canceling and not staying.

I sent this email below to reservation manager:

I just spoke to someone who was extremely unhelpful and rude. I’m saying at the Westin checking in on August 12th and checking out on August 18th Our reservation is under “Chris and Mariko Raynor”. I called to request that a refrigerator with freezer be available in my room as I have a medical condition that requires my medicine to be stored in a freezer. The woman I just spoke to told me to just request that it be made available when I check in. I explained that I’m coming off a 6 hour flight from Seattle and would like this to be pre-arranged upon arrival. She simply said “ok, then it will be in your room, if not, just ask”. I asked her how it was possible that the fridge would be available considering she had no name for me and no reservation information. She simply repeated that I should request it upon arrival.

1) If I’m choosing your hotel for an 7 day stay over all the hotels in NYC you should have better customer service
2) The request is for a medical condition. It should be handled promptly and without me having to check in and have someone bring it up and plug it in.

The response I received back was generic, NEVER acknowldged that the request would be made. Just thanked me for letting me know and they value their guests ect.

I'm not feeling like its going to be a great stay since 2 customer service people cant seem to accomidate a simple request.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank travelstar70
Ibelice E, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Welcome,

We at Westin pride ourselves in delivery exceptional service. I am taken back by your comments and do not wish this to be your lasting impression of our brand.

Please contact me directly and I will personally assist you in resolving this situation. I would also like to know what your experience was while staying with us.

email: Ibelice.Estevez@Westin.com
aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Upon arrival we were given an upgrade and made to feel welcome by all members of staff. After checking in and dumping our bags we were given directions to Times Square by the kemi the front desk supervisor. When we arrived back she had organised milk and cookies for the kids which was unexpected and a really nice touch. Next day while having our meal she found us and asked us how our day was and organised some drinks for us which again was really nice. All the staff at the hotel were excellent, room was superb and view just brilliant. Location was really good short walk to Times Square and subway really close as well. But big thanks to kemi for helping making our first trip to New York amazing.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
Welcome,

Thank you for your review; it's feedback like yours which allows our staff to continue to strive and make our guest's stay memorable.

Thank you!
Satellite Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I've stayed here the past two weekends for work and the facilities themselves are great. Last week I had a standard room and this weekend I have a very large suite. The rooms are clean and comfortable--everything you'd expect from a Westin. I can't give this 5 stars because the front desk staff is lousy and unorganized. Each time I've been there, the check in process is a disaster. They don't have any ropes or lines except for the one lane for Starwood Preferred Guests. People standing in line this last time were vocalizing there displeasure to a manager behind the desk with a clipboard who literally did nothing to rectify the situation. There were about 15 different groups of people trying to check in and everyone was battling for the first available staff member. This is a popular hotel in a popular area of Manhattan. The least they can do is have a staff member help organize lines or out up some more ropes. Also, checking out is always a pain. Because the valet is separate from the hotel they have to call down and tell them to recharge it so they can include it on your bill. In the past two stays this has turned into a 5-10 minute ordeal each time. The staff member has to leave the counter and go outside to valet to let them know of the situation. Something can easily be done to help streamline this process. Calling down for valet each morning takes at least 3-4 minutes for someone to answer the phone. Overall, the stay has been pleasant but they hotel staff can definitely use some better training or be given the necessary tools to succeed by their management.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the Chrysler building.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BetterThanFSView11
Ibelice E, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for choosing Westin. I apologize for the challenges you encountered during your visit with us. This will be brought to the attention of the Front Office Director and ensure everything is addressed.

Please feel free to contact me directly for your next stay us. We appreciate your business and would like to continue being your home away from home.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Great location near host hotel Hyatt. Very responsive to needs, crib and fridge. Lackluster dining but options nearby. Taxi drivers always wanted to take us to other hotel - even after we gave them address. Clean and comfortable. The staff were always pleasant.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank K53Moriarty
Welcome,

Thank you for your feedback; we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to NYC.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Unable to extend my business trip at the last minute at Le Parker Meridien, I opted to stay at the Westin Grand Central.

Everything with the stay was fine. No complaints.

The hotel appears to be very large, and with so many guests, I don't believe the hotel can provide the refined experience you might receive at a smaller hotel.

The rooms were clean.

Despite having platinum status, I was not able to secure a suite due to the late reservation (made day of) and how packed the hotel was.

Breakfast at the hotel restaurant, The LCL, was fine most days. There was a major gaffe where my waiter took my order (at 8:30 AM), it was never entered into the system and I never saw my waiter again after placing my order either that day or for the rest of the week. The restaurant staff was extremely apologetic and comped my meal, even though it was free anyway.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Crheimy,

We thank you for staying at The Westin New York Grand Central. Our goal is for all our guests to leave our property feeling energized and eager to come back. We apologize for the inconveniences occurred during your stay. Please know your feedback is very important for us.

We hope to see you soon to allow us to exceed your expectations

Thank you!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Loved this hotel...it's recently renovated and was clean and efficient. Only challenge we had when we were there was that the wifi (which we paid for) was not working, and it took us to follow up with 5 different staffers to resolve. That was a bit frustrating as we ended up using the wifi in the lobby at the end. Otherwise, clean rooms, great location if you want to go to Grand Central Terminal and a nice view of the Chrysler building if you are on the right side of the property and request a higher floor:)

Room Tip: Request a higher floor with a view of one of the landmark buildings...fantastic view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Annie0365,

I am excited to hear how pleased you were with our rooms. We have spacious rooms because we understand how important space is to our guests especially in New York City.

Our goal is for every one of your guest to leave our property feeling valued and appreciated. However, we understand you encountered a challenge with your internet connection. Please feel free to contact us at your earliest convenience to discuss the matter.