“"Stands up to it's Name"”

The Westin New York Grand Central
Ranked #218 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“"Stands up to it's Name"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Just got back from a weekend getaway and we stayed here. The room was excellent and exactly what we expected. Our room was very close to the elevators and at first I was concerned but it was fine. Couldn't hear people coming or going.....like that. Couldn't ask for a better location as well. The brief dealings we had with the staff was acceptable. They were courteous, helpful and friendly. We used LaGuardia and it was a 20 - 30 minute cab ride. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. See you next time!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Hello Tresbella,

Thank you for your great review and support of our Westin brand and hotel. I trust all was well during your time spent with us and look forward to our next journey together!!

Thank you!!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

This was my second time staying at the Westin Grand Central on a "Staycation". I work nearby so eat at the LCL on a regular basis and am always glad to have the opportunity to stay here.

When we arrived Lilly greeted us with a smile and recognized my SPG status. When asked about any available upgrades she gave us three options and in the end recommended the lower floor of the three floors as it was a corner room and would have the best view. Boy was she right. Even though we were on the 19th floor (room 1924) we had a beautiful view of the Empire State Building which is always magical. We know from our last stay that a high floor doesn't always guarantee a beautiful view given the surrounding buildings so always address this upon check in.

The only downside to our stay was that the safe didn't work and the sink in the bathroom was really slow to drain. I made a point to stop by the front desk after breakfast the next morning and spoke to an older woman with glasses to let her know of these issues. I politely explained that we didn't need those issues fixed since we were checking out shortly but wanted her to mark the room in the system so it was addressed before the next guest arrived. She made it very clear to me that this was inconvenient to her, she didn't want to help if I didn't want someone sent up immediately, and that i needed to simply address it upon check out.

When we went to check out a half hour later, Lilly was once again at the front desk so she took care of it the maintenance issues with a smile and a positive attitude. She apologized on behalf of her colleague and offered us "grab and go" breakfast vouchers for our trouble. In short, Lilly could write the book on customer service at this property.

While this isn't my favourite Starwood property in Manhattan, it is high on my list and I look forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room ending in 24 if you want a nice view of the Empire State Building.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Ibelice E, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Welcome,

Thank you, your feedback it’s greatly appreciated. Westin strives to make our guest’s stay memorable and we are very happy we were able to achieve it. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Bali, Indonesia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

The hotel is listed as 4 stars standard but the service I get is not there compare with other Westin hotel I have stayed at. The staff didnt smile most of the time while only the concierge team was really helpful. I stayed for three nights and while I was busy other two morning so only came for breakfast on the third day, the staff was very rude to answer me and deliver the breakfast. He didn't even give me what I requested. The bellboy was even worst, he complained directly about the tip in front of us with other friends impolitely, even he still took the tips. Because of that he also didn't want to help us to carry the luggage to the car, he literally left the luggage trolley in front of the hotel door and tell me do it by myself. How come a Westin standard could be like that? This is so disappointed

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for choosing Westin.

I apologize for the challenges you encountered during your visit with us. This will be brought to the attention of the Front Office Director as well as the restaurant's General Manager to ensure everything is addressed.

Please contact me directly to discuss further, Ibelice.estevez@westin.com. We appreciate your business and would like to be your home away from home.

Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed here for a week. The room offered initially did not suit so we requested a higher floor. This was done politely and with ease. Our whole stay was problem free. All staff were friendly, and happy to help with any questions. The only one that was dour was the young guy in the bar :( We loved the location, not as busy as Time Square Hotel!! but still lots of little bars and restaurants around. The products in the bathroom are lovely too. Fully recommend it :))

Room Tip: In New York - seems obvious but insist on a higher floor. We had a corner room which offered lots mo...
Welcome,

Thank you for your review; it's feedback like yours which pushes our staff to continue to strive and continue making our guest's stay memorable.

Thank you!
TXL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed in the Westin for 3 nights to be right in Manhattan for sightseeing with a couple of friends. The room was nice and what I expected from this hotel category. A/C worked perfectly which was a huge plus as it was extremely hot outside. Sound proofing could be better but was absolutely bearable if you're familiar with big city life.

Anyway, two things disturbed us from fully enjoying our trip. While merely a nuisance but still absolutely gross, the little stand holding the Starbucks coffee pads, sugar, etc. were totally molded on the bottom We alerted housekeeping and they promised to take care of it right away but nothing happened over the three nights we spend there.

The second issue was more serious: some fellow hotel guest made a habit out of naming my room number for his valet parking. So every day I was hit with a $60 charge. Every day I went downstairs and attempted to correct that. Call it NYC mentality or whatever but it's unprofessional to treat your guests like they want to steal something from you. The receptionist on the second day wanted "proof" that I don't have a car with me and accused me of trying to steal parking. The wrong charges went on for my whole stay. Any attempts to locate the person who was always giving my room number was unsuccessful, apparently they cannot link any valet ticker to a specific room.

I corrected this for the last time when checking out and got a new folio stating a zero balance. However, of course my credit card was still charged. It's been two weeks now and I still haven't been able to get rid of the wrong charge.

Room Tip: High floor for better view and being away from the massive battery of A/C's fro mthe surrounding...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Ibelice E, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Welcome,

We at Westin pride ourselves in delivery exceptional service. I am taken back by your comments and do not wish this to be your lasting impression of our brand.

Please feel free to contact me directly and I will personally assist you in resolving these events.

Ibelice.estevez@westin.com
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I've only stayed here on short, one night business trips, but I've always been satisfied. The hotel is a bit further east than a lot of the "action" if you're traveling for pleasure, but the rooms are what I would expect of a Westin.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Welcome,

Thank you for your feedback; we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to NYC.

Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Cannot believe the experience we are having. Checked in to our room at 2:00 pm, put a few things away, noticed toiletries hadn't been replaced and mentioned it to housekeeping. We left for a few hours, only to return to discover we were locked out of our room and some else inside! The occupant told us it was his room and security had removed our bags. However, my toiletry bag with medications had been left all afternoon in the room. Upon speaking to the manager, we were told our bags were safely stowed and sorry for the mix up. I explained how unhappy I was that my private, personal medications had been left sitting in a room with a stranger, and again she said sorry. A new room was prepared for us. We waited, assuming that some sort of upgrade may be given as compensation, but NOTHING!! NOHING but a half hearted apology. I know this is an unusual situation, but you would think it warrants better compensation and customer service.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends