“Amazing, Elegant, Lovely Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York

The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York
Ranked #14 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Rancho Mirage, California
“Amazing, Elegant, Lovely Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

We have stayed at The Pierre many times and it has always been a fabulous experience from the reception desk to the dining and concierge! All hotel staff is eager to help and make you feel welcome and comfortable as a hotel guest. The staff anticipated all our needs and desires and made sure everything was ready on time and easy accessible. They were even able to upgrade our room to a lovely, very spacious room. The rooms are impeccable and the hotel is immaculate in the dining areas and lobby. The location is superb and close to Broadway shows, Lincoln Center etc...
We have loved each experience and stay at The Pierre and look forward to returning again next time we're in NYC.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent choices!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kimberly T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed at The Pierre for three nights in September. Probably the best thing about the hotel is the location which is as good as it gets in NYC. It's close to both Midtown and UES and a stone's throw away from the nearest subway station (and don't forget about Barneys either). The interior, service and overall atmosphere are up to standard as well. The room was nice and clean, but considering the price it was rather small. Especially the bathroom felt small compared to most hotels on the same level. However that's a minor gripe as I was very pleased about the other aspects of the stay. The hotel restaurant Sirio offers good Italian food and a solid breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Tomi K,

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Pierre. It sounds as though you were able to take advantage of our centralized location and enjoy the upscale shopping that is right at our doorstep. Our location is always a favorite of many of our guests, as well as our restaurant, Sirio Ristorante.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Warm Regards,
The Pierre General Manager
nyc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Elegant Hotel Pierre on fifth avenue, part Condo Part Hotel. Going to a Formal event there tonight and expect it to be top notch all around. If one is looking for high class living this is the right Hotel for you!

Room Tip: face 5th with a view but high floor!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

From check in to check out, my recent stay at The Pierre was flawless. I found the staff to be genuinely concerned with the quality of my stay. To my surprise and delight, my room was upgraded to a suite that was so comfortable, I didn't want to leave. The bed was extremely comfortable. The Molten brown amenities in the bathrooms were amazing. In room dining was a bit pricey but expected for a hotel of that calibre. The food was delicious and the service excellent though. I loved the old New York feel of the hotel juxtaposed with ultra luxury.. The location can't be beat as well. My expectations were definitely exceeded.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SAC911
Bay Harbor, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

,,,Recently stayed at the The Pierre. Staff and facilities were very nice. I have stayed there before when it was part of the Ritz properties. I booked seven rooms for 3 nights for family and friends to celebrate my son's suprise engagement and my wife's 60th birthday. Spent approximately $19,000 during our stay, as we treated relatives. On Friday we were in the bar when my son walked in right after asking for his bride to be's hand in marriage. A few of us threw some confetti ( not much). I immediately told the bar manager that I would clean it up if he could send for a vacuum. He just looked at me in disgust and turned his back on me without saying a word. When I got the bill which was over $500 ($20 drinks and $10 beers) because we had 20 people there for approximately an hour I noticed a service charge included for $100. I was told by the curt bar manager that it was because we had thrown confetti at my son and his bride to be. I told him that either he take the charge off the bill or I wanted to talk to the manager. Soon the General Manager (Heiko Kuenstle) hustled me into the corridor. He was rude and extremely disrespectful. He lacked any sense of customer service. He told me I was charged the $100 because that was how much he lost in profit by comping some customers in the bar that complained about a few pieces of confetti that landed on their table. When I explained to him that I was spending almost $20,000 in the hotel over a three day period and was a repeat customer he responded: So what! I have plenty of customers that spend that kind of money in the hotel. When I told him that I was not happy with the $100 service charge and would not return to the hotel ever again if the service charge was not waived he said he did not care.He was so concerned about the hotel losing a dime that he did not care about my business. Well, they did not lose any money because they made me cover their generosity with other customers.

Funny thing is we all went to dinner that night at the Capital Grille and wouldn't you know it they had confetti spread all over the dinner table in honor of our two events. I wonder if we should have eaten our meals and then complained .Maybe the $2500 bill would have been comped.

If you decide to stay at The Pierre please make sure that if you are going to do anything out of the ordinary for any reason that you are sure to get the GENERAL MANAGER'S blessing for what you do or you will be sure to get a spanking.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
14 Thank Dan B
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Mr. B,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we take your comments very seriously. We regret the situation you experienced recently at The Pierre.

While we understand that this was a celebratory occasion for you and your family, our other guests who were enjoying an evening at Two E Bar/Lounge as well, were adversely affected when the confetti was thrown into their area and landed in their drinks. We do recognize that there are often special impromptu events that happen in our hotel and we welcome our guests to enjoy themselves with their friends and families on these occasions. The Pierre encourages families to celebrate these special times at our hotel and in our dining areas. We ask that the same courtesy be extended to our other guests when celebrating in public areas.

We apologize that we did not explain the charges on your bill, as we should have done this as part of our process. We are more than happy to discuss this matter on a one-on-one communication with you.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience at The Pierre outside of this occurrence.

Best regards,

Heiko Kuenstle
The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York
Dover, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

A beautiful hotel, a wonderful stay, and a great story!

I wanted to propose to my lovely fiancé in a big, romantic gesture, and through some research and exploring, I stumbled upon The Pierre - a hotel in a gorgeous location (the Park views are stunning) with phenomenal access (subway right there, taxis quick on 5th Avenue) and luxurious ambience (just a spectacular building) - the perfect fit! I was pressed for time due to shorter notice “business trip” overseas for a few months through the fall and winter, so I wanted a hotel to not only have one last weekend with my girlfriend, but to also propose. The Pierre practically bent over backward to help - a testament to their service-minded and customer-friendly staff!

The original plan had been to propose in The Pierre’s rotunda space on the first level - after some coordination, the dates did not line up due to a previously scheduled event. But that did not stop The Pierre from trying to help me create the space, researching other rooms and options with their support staff to see how they could best serve my desires. They did groundwork on carriage rides and using nearby rooftops too, all to help me create the perfect proposal - including price points and contact information to follow-up. So, while The Pierre ultimately was unable to provide the venue I had hoped for in their hotel for the proposal, they were more than gracious and helpful about it and helped me find the perfect place.

In fact, since both the hotel and I had been operating under the assumption that the space on the first floor would be available, they made it clear they owned any miscommunication and were 100% committed to me having the greatest weekend I could.

To set the romantic weekend tone, they provided champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries, both our first and last night (the last night following a very successful proposal and also including rose petals), not to mention a complimentary upgraded room with the most beautiful view of Central Park I have ever seen... and that would also go for the future wife - she loved it! Their staff was amazing, and one person in particular, Sanela - my Pierre point of contact, was phenomenal. She was engaged, assertive, and incredibly helpful (even while on vacation!)... I could not have done it so smoothly and stress-free without her assistance; knowing she and the hotel had my back put my mind at ease even while I was freaking out about the proposal!

I couldn't have picked a better place to stay to begin my life with my fiancé - it was elegant, tasteful, and comfortable - it was, simply put, perfect. Thank you, so much, to The Pierre for their help. I am forever grateful it turned out so well!

Room Tip: Suites on the north side have a wonderful mix of city skyline and Central Park!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keith N
Dear Keith N,

Let us first start off by saying, congratulations on being engaged! We are thrilled that you chose to let us help you with such an important and memorable day in your lives. For over 80 years we have been a peaceful hideaway for couples to kindle their romance and we are so honored you chose to spend this once-in-a-lifetime moment with us.

We thank you for spending the time to share your story and feedback about our wonderful team and service. It is through such thoughtful support and feedback like yours that our staff continues to be inspired to provide impeccable service each day. We will be sure to let Sanela know that you mentioned her. She will be thrilled.

We hope The Pierre will always hold a special place in your heart, and that we have the opportunity to celebrate many more milestone moments with you two in the future. We wish you much happiness in your life together.

Warm Regards,
The Pierre General Manager
New Orleans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

We always stay at the Pierre. The last trip to NYC we tried a new place The London as the Pierre rates had gone up. BIG MISTAKE. The Pierre is located in the perfect location for shopping and shows but more than that is the service. From the front desk to the elevator attendants, EVERYONE is exceptional and it is what a luxury property should be. WELL WORTH THE MONEY.

Room Tip: Get the Park View room in the tower as these are the best. The suites on the low floors with city vi...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business