“won't give you lost things back :(”

The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York
Ranked #14 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Dusseldorf, Germany
“won't give you lost things back :(”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

nice staff,but that's it, we forgot iPad and expensive top of my wife in the room and did not get it back, ugly bar/bad drinks for such a hotel,you have to pay for wifi in a suite….very disappointed, what happened there and it is really expensive, for this price better stay at Mandarin Oriental or cheaper at the Gramercy

Room Tip: we had room 1906
7 Thank Oliver146
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear Oliver146,

Thank you taking the time to review your recent stay at The Pierre.
We strive to make each guest's experience at The Pierre enjoyable, therefore, we are very sorry to hear of the suspected missing items since your recent stay.

We are available anytime to look into this matter together to come to a positive resolution and we will certainly do all that we can to ensure that your future stay with us does not involve similar disappointments.

We are glad to hear that you found our staff accommodating during your stay and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at The Pierre.

Best Wishes,
The Pierre General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I made a reservation by phone for New Year's Eve for a table for three in the Lounge of the Pierre Hotel in New York. The receptionist confirmed the reservation and took my credit card information. Two days prior to December 31st I was contacted by the hotel to confirm the reservation again, which I did. I phoned them on New Years Eve to reconfirm and to say there would be four, not three people arriving.

Upon arrival I was told that there was no reservation in my name. They claimed it was not reconfirmed. I had three business colleagues with me, all male, and much to my embarrassment, the gentleman in charge of the Lounge argued with me for several minutes.
They finally offered me a table but not as a reserved customer. Prior to receiving even a glass of water I was asked for my credit card and presented with a bill for $1,100 and told I had to sign before being served.

Apart from the embarrassment, the noise level was so high that my guests and I could not converse. The offered fare was hors d'ouevre, wine and some champagne at midnight.

I phoned the manager of the Lounge a few days later.He said that when a party comes in without reservations they are required to pay before being served. No apology was offered.

My only satisfaction is knowing that I shall not frequent their Pierre Hotel nor recommend it to my colleagues and friends.

Joan Patenaude-Yarnell
Manhattan School of Music
The Curtis Institute of Music

Room Tip: Do not reserve in the Lounge or Dining Room of this hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
16 Thank Joan P
Port Jefferson, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

My wife and I spent two nights at the Pierre. The staff was friendly and professional, the room was clean and serviced well and the views of the park spectacular. we enjoyed the food and service in the hotel bar as well as dining at Sirio's restaurant. The staff made us feel welcome from the moment the doorman opened my car door to escort us in until he closed our doors as we departed. we have stayed in several NYC hotels including the NY Palace, The Waldorf, The Plaza Athenee, The St Regis, and the Four Seasons and in our opinion the Pierre tops the list.

Room Tip: Request a Park view if available-the view is breathtaking!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Frederic M,

Thank you for this glowing review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your kind words about our team. Hearing from our guests is so important to us, as it keeps us inspired to provide over and above service on a daily basis.

It is an honor to be compared against our colleagues, and it is even more of an honor to have you consider us as the best hotel in NYC. We hope that you come to stay with us again soon. We are looking forward to welcoming you both again.

Warm Regards,
Baton Rouge, La.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

The following is a copy of a letter I sent to the General Manager of the Pierre in New York, after completing a 5 day stay during the Christmas season.

Simply Outstanding!!

Joe Traigle
--------------------------------------
Mr. Kuenstle,

Having spent most of my business career as a CEO, I view most of my world experiences through that lens. Such was the case this past Christmas day when we checkin into the Pierre for a 5 nights stay.

One of the issues I have when visiting the Pierre is that I automatically raise the bar of exception because of my 40 year history with the hotel (Four Seasons, etc).

I am writing to share with you an exceptional experience that we had with one of your employees, Alice Mouette. I mentioned to Alice that two years ago at Christmas, we stayed with you but because of a high occupancy we would up in a VERY small room (both of us are over 6 feet tall). Alice's response was spot on, she smiled and said " Mr. Traigle, I understand and let me work on that, may I suggest that you gentlemen go and have lunch, and I will have something for you when you return." When we returned, we found that we had been granted a generous upgrade. For the remainder of our visit, when passing by the front desk or encountering Alice Mouette, were greeted with a most please smile and name recognition.

Such outstanding service, in the service industry should be noted.

Congratulations to you, Mr. Kuenstle, for your leadership which on the ground was warmly received by us, your customer.

Best wishes to you for a Happy New Year.

Best,

Joe Traigle

1 Thank Joe T
Firenze
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

The Pierre is really One of those tired old ladies that need an heavy facelift.
Since the moment you step
In a senso of depression and decandence goes inside your skin.
The lighting, the old carpets, the dusty forniture, the vulgar flowers.
There is no One single thing working considering this is a luxury 5 stars under the label LHW.
I spent 1150 dollars for a room that looked more like a Hilton than a luxury hotel.
12 dollars is the wifi per day and there are always problems of connection.
The service is so bad that sometimes you feel the desire to change.
Sorry this is a real failure

• Stayed December 2013
11 Thank mgiornet
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear ROTCHKO,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at The Pierre hotel.

It is by listening to our guests that we are able to maintain our five diamond service. At The Pierre we continually strive to exceed our guests’ personal service standards, and it is important to us to know when we are not doing so. I would be happy to speak with you directly regarding your experience, please feel free to contact me at anytime.

I truly apologize for your disappointing experience, and we welcome the opportunity to host you again and leave you with a positive impression.

Warm Regards,
Heiko K.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

Very nice hotel, perfect location, BUT: watch your belongings. Can't prove anything of course, and should have used the safe, partially my own fault.
So, some cash (which was not just left on the table, one really had to search through my things in order to find it), Tumi lockers for the suitcases, a bag for the camera and some other stuff has "mystically" disappeared from the room during our 5-day stay in The Pierre, so my advise: either use the safe or DO NOT ever leave anything valuable in the room. Also, every morning it took us about 15 minutes to be seated for breakfast.
Basing on that - I will choose a different hotel to stay at during my next visit to NY.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Nikita A
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Nikita A,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are very sorry to hear of your experience during your recent stay, as we take theft very seriously at our hotel. We welcome the opportunity to discuss things further with you regarding this unfortunate incident.
Our Executive team has been briefed with the matter at hand and a member of the team may be reached at +1 212 940 8147 to speak with you further.
Best Wishes,
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We spent a holiday weekend in New York City recently. The Pierre met our expectations. The check in was smooth and professional. Service generally was very good and professional. The room was cleaned properly and re stocked with all the necessary amenities. Our room was large and comfortable and had an excellent view of Fifth Avenue. My only issue with the room was with respect to the shower. The tub was very narrow and had to stand in. I kept stepping on and closing the drain causing the water to pool and not drain. The shower door was only a half door and allowing water to splash into the bathroom.

3 Thank erich802