“Up to all expectations” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Como, Italy
“Up to all expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed here a number of times on business first but also in couples. At each time very up class experience.
It's part of the old classy NYC places where every lift had a lift boy or lift girl (some too old to expect them to get up from their chair so as to reach the button of one of the upper floors...). Some of the floors are reserved for private family appartement for (mostly elderly jewish NewYorkers, who spent their life at the Pierre and whom you reckognize at Breakfast and Dinner in the Restaurants.
Room, Bars, Restaurants are as perfect as Reception and shoe-shine :-)
For business trips I usually prefer an efficient from the W class with T4 high internet access. But I recommend the anyone who can afford it - at least once in a life-time.

Room Tip: Get a small suite ! Try to overlook Central Park Higher floors have less of the "Beautifull N...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

This was our second stay at the Pierre in the past year and quality is still wonderful. Housekeeping is excellent and prompt in meeting any needs. Lovely partial view of park and rink from our suite. Room furnishings were in excellent condition and room was immaculate. Only complaint, and its a big one, is the teeny, tiny bathroom! Our suite had no tub, only shower and only one sink. Toilet right next to wall, tall hubby did not like this aspect! Only one person could fit in this bathroom at a time. Huge disappointment and inconvenience when both are trying to get ready! Also long wait of 5-10 min for elevators during peak evening hours. Hotel bar was wonderful for pre- event cocktails.

2 Thank homefree
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear homefree,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are happy to hear that you had an overall enjoyable stay with us at The Pierre. From our staff to our location, we are glad to hear about the positive aspects of your stay.

On the other hand, we are disappointed to hear that you were not fully satisfied by our bathroom or elevator service. As we are a historic hotel rather than a new build, each of our rooms enjoys a unique layout. We apologize that your room's bathroom did not meet your expectations. Additionally, if you stayed with us on a higher floor, times of high demand call for a bit longer of a wait time, especially during busy holiday seasons.

We hope to host you both again for your next stay in NYC.

Warm Regards,
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

From booking to departure the whole experience is flawless. I have tried several hotels in NYC but I always come back to The Pierre for the service and of course the view. Michael at reception always makes sure all the guests are happy and has a fantastic memory. The breakfast is very nice and the bar is very convenient for a quick drink before going out. Very much looking forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: Book a signature room
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Yousef M
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

We enjoyed every minute of our time with the Pierre. The staff were extraordinarily kind and knowledgeable; The room was spacious, spotlessly clean, with no odor. Housekeeping was impeccable, but not intrusive. Kudos on every aspect of this beautifully located hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

travelled during holiday season as a couple. the arrival was horrible. after a long trip from europe we were given a room which smelled heavily of cigarette smoking. the armchair and its pillows were stained. we asked why the room was so smelling and we were told that this was the special powder they use to clean the room. nice try. as to the stains they couldn't give any explanation though. so we asked to change room and we finally got one where they didn't use the special powder for cleaning :- ). but we waited for almost an hour to get to that room. the bar is not cosy and need a revamp. same for the main hall of the hotel which could have been impressive 50 years ago but now it looks like more a storage for the luggage of the guests departing and arriving. there is no wow effect except for the bill which is impressive given the quality of the hotel. the room are normal and small in general. no pool or cosy bar. there is only one thing which is really worth in this hotel. the rooms with the view on central park. i could not imagine to stay at the Pierre without this view: it would be a complete waste of money. last year under Christmas time we were at the Peninsula: much better in term of atmosphere even without view. it is a pity: this hotel could really be one of the best in NYC given its privileged location and history. ps. the concierge is very good though. ps. the 3 rate reflects the room with view on central park

Room Tip: central park view
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Dede F
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear Dede F,

I sincerely apologize that your stay with us was disappointing and did not meet your expectations. It is by listening to our guests that we are able to maintain our five diamond service. At The Pierre we continually strive to exceed our guests’ personal service standards, and it is important to us to know when we are not doing so. I would be happy to speak with you directly regarding your experience, please feel free to contact me at anytime.

I truly apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us at The Pierre. We hope that you will decide to stay with us again and allow us to make up for any shortcomings you experienced.

Warm Regards,
Dusseldorf, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

nice staff,but that's it, we forgot iPad and expensive top of my wife in the room and did not get it back, ugly bar/bad drinks for such a hotel,you have to pay for wifi in a suite….very disappointed, what happened there and it is really expensive, for this price better stay at Mandarin Oriental or cheaper at the Gramercy

Room Tip: we had room 1906
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Oliver146
Dear Oliver146,

Thank you taking the time to review your recent stay at The Pierre.
We strive to make each guest's experience at The Pierre enjoyable, therefore, we are very sorry to hear of the suspected missing items since your recent stay.

We are available anytime to look into this matter together to come to a positive resolution and we will certainly do all that we can to ensure that your future stay with us does not involve similar disappointments.

We are glad to hear that you found our staff accommodating during your stay and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at The Pierre.

Best Wishes,
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I made a reservation by phone for New Year's Eve for a table for three in the Lounge of the Pierre Hotel in New York. The receptionist confirmed the reservation and took my credit card information. Two days prior to December 31st I was contacted by the hotel to confirm the reservation again, which I did. I phoned them on New Years Eve to reconfirm and to say there would be four, not three people arriving.

Upon arrival I was told that there was no reservation in my name. They claimed it was not reconfirmed. I had three business colleagues with me, all male, and much to my embarrassment, the gentleman in charge of the Lounge argued with me for several minutes.
They finally offered me a table but not as a reserved customer. Prior to receiving even a glass of water I was asked for my credit card and presented with a bill for $1,100 and told I had to sign before being served.

Apart from the embarrassment, the noise level was so high that my guests and I could not converse. The offered fare was hors d'ouevre, wine and some champagne at midnight.

I phoned the manager of the Lounge a few days later.He said that when a party comes in without reservations they are required to pay before being served. No apology was offered.

My only satisfaction is knowing that I shall not frequent their Pierre Hotel nor recommend it to my colleagues and friends.

Joan Patenaude-Yarnell
Manhattan School of Music
The Curtis Institute of Music

Room Tip: Do not reserve in the Lounge or Dining Room of this hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business