“A Gem”

Ranked #183 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
“A Gem”
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I stayed here recently and had a marvelous experience. I had one of the renovated rooms, and it was beautiful! I particularly liked the bathroom. There was a little street noise, but that's par for the course in New York. The location (near the park, museums, and shopping) was convenient, though it sometimes felt a little isolated from the hum of the city. I also enjoyed my treatment in the elegant spa. My only complaint is about the decor of the restaurant--it seemed a little tired. My chair at breakfast was a bit wobbly.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Bottsie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights during a recent business trip and was extremely happy with all aspects of the stay. I had a renovated room which featured a great bathroom (rain shower, 2 sinks). The staff could not have been nicer and I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
boca raton, florida
Reviewed 14 June 2011

My husband and I just came off a 10 day Caribbean cruise and we wanted to spend a few days in New York City. My travel agent recommended this hotel and what a DISAPPOINTMENT. The room was tiny (and we had been upgraded). The hot water faucet in the bathroom did not work. No water would come out. So we called housekeeping. A man came and looked at it - shrugged his shoulders and said there was nothing they could do!! and left!! So we had no hot water in the sink!! Breakfast was included with our room charge. It was continetal and when the waiter asked us if we'd like a pastry basket we told him we would rather just have some multi grain or whole wheat toast instead...The waiter tells us that will be an extra charge!!! My husband TOLD the waiter ..NO it will not be an extra charge..so fortunately for us the waiter listened.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank beauoli
Athenee, Manager at Hotel Plaza Athenee New York, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
Thank you for your valuable comments. I apologize for the unfortunate experience with the bathroom sink and will address both incidents with the staff. At the Plaza Athenee, we strive to make your stay as comfortable and relaxing as possible and I am sorry that we failed you.
We would love the opportunity to welcome you back-you may contact me directly to make arrangements.

Sebastian Wurst
Executive Assistant Manager
Miami Beach, FL
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Having stayed many times at the Plaza in Paris, my partner and I thought we would give this a shot during a recent stay in NYC. It was something of a disappointment. The room was really tired, the staff was merely pleasant and the restaurant looked like the elephant graveyard. You can see that it could be great again but needs some TLC.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank Lucky0724
Athenee, Manager at Hotel Plaza Athenee New York, responded to this review, 14 June 2011
Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent trip with us. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and were unhappy with your accommodations. We have recently completed extensive renovations to many of our rooms and have added a beautiful spa. I would love for you to stay in one of our new rooms-you may contact me at swurst@plaza-athenee.com and I hope we will have you as our guest again.

Best regards,
Sebastian Wurst
Executive Assistant Manager
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 25 May 2011

We spent a week-end for our wedding anniversary: everyone was very nice, hotel is very nice, room extremely clean and comfortable. Bar and room service are very expensive - be careful!
We loved it! We really want to go back!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annie P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2011

One of the best in NY.This hotel has all the elements that a good boutique hotel should have, I was extremely impressed and will make this my base in NY.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Marcopolo100_11
London
Reviewed 4 May 2011

We got a great last minute deal and were delighted with the room and location. This is a great hotel by most standards and being in New York, close to Central Park, makes it an even bigger gem.

It's expensive, so much so we didn't eat there and wouldn't have dreamed about even opening the mini bar, but if you can get a good deal, then you won't regret staying here.

The same old issues as you find in other New York hotels are still true here, the expensive wifi, no coffee making facilities in the room, a small useless bath, but they make up for it by having luxurious rooms, coffee and free wifi in the lobby etc. The staff were lovely too, which also helps!

• Stayed May 2011