“Nice room, great service”

Hotel Plaza Athenee New York
Ranked #216 of 468 Hotels in New York City
kent
“Nice room, great service”
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Nice room although it was on the lower floor the upper ones are big £££, booked through lastminute so it was good value, lovely king size bed with nice bathroom, very quite hotel i.e no road unless you have the windows open, very attentive staff, just stay away from buying anythig from the restaurant $14 for a 500ml bottle of water!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oysterdate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Had a lovely business trip -- staff was very friendly and helpful with reservations. Even though very wealthy part of town, felt warm reception adn would love to return.

Room Tip: Upgrade was available
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank kbusiness
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Enjoyed a one night stay in June. Arrival and check in were handled very smoothly and Guest Liason was professional but down to earth. Room was as expected of a New York hotel- not big but comfortable. I do agree with other reviewers that light switches old and bathrooms typical of the classic marble type. I personally don't have a problem with these but note that newer hotels bathrooms can be more comfortable. A package arrived after I checked out and Kevin, concierge, was kind enough to contact me and offered to send it on. This kind of service from all of the staff is to be commended.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Jasonleg
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I stayed here recently and had a marvelous experience. I had one of the renovated rooms, and it was beautiful! I particularly liked the bathroom. There was a little street noise, but that's par for the course in New York. The location (near the park, museums, and shopping) was convenient, though it sometimes felt a little isolated from the hum of the city. I also enjoyed my treatment in the elegant spa. My only complaint is about the decor of the restaurant--it seemed a little tired. My chair at breakfast was a bit wobbly.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Bottsie
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights during a recent business trip and was extremely happy with all aspects of the stay. I had a renovated room which featured a great bathroom (rain shower, 2 sinks). The staff could not have been nicer and I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
boca raton, florida
Reviewed 14 June 2011

My husband and I just came off a 10 day Caribbean cruise and we wanted to spend a few days in New York City. My travel agent recommended this hotel and what a DISAPPOINTMENT. The room was tiny (and we had been upgraded). The hot water faucet in the bathroom did not work. No water would come out. So we called housekeeping. A man came and looked at it - shrugged his shoulders and said there was nothing they could do!! and left!! So we had no hot water in the sink!! Breakfast was included with our room charge. It was continetal and when the waiter asked us if we'd like a pastry basket we told him we would rather just have some multi grain or whole wheat toast instead...The waiter tells us that will be an extra charge!!! My husband TOLD the waiter ..NO it will not be an extra charge..so fortunately for us the waiter listened.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank beauoli
Athenee, Manager at Hotel Plaza Athenee New York, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
Thank you for your valuable comments. I apologize for the unfortunate experience with the bathroom sink and will address both incidents with the staff. At the Plaza Athenee, we strive to make your stay as comfortable and relaxing as possible and I am sorry that we failed you.
We would love the opportunity to welcome you back-you may contact me directly to make arrangements.

Sebastian Wurst
Executive Assistant Manager
Miami Beach, FL
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Having stayed many times at the Plaza in Paris, my partner and I thought we would give this a shot during a recent stay in NYC. It was something of a disappointment. The room was really tired, the staff was merely pleasant and the restaurant looked like the elephant graveyard. You can see that it could be great again but needs some TLC.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank Lucky0724
Athenee, Manager at Hotel Plaza Athenee New York, responded to this review, 14 June 2011
Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent trip with us. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and were unhappy with your accommodations. We have recently completed extensive renovations to many of our rooms and have added a beautiful spa. I would love for you to stay in one of our new rooms-you may contact me at swurst@plaza-athenee.com and I hope we will have you as our guest again.

Best regards,