“Excellent”

Ranked #211 of 468 Hotels in New York City
UK
“Excellent”
Reviewed 4 January 2008

An excellent hotel with a European intimate feel. The rooms are very comfortable, though the bathroom products are a bit plain.

Service is very good. The concierge service is excellent and special mention should be made of Rick Cook and his colleagues for their knowledge and discernment in restaurant reservations.

Rajen Dalal, U.K.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OscarBaxter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 25 November 2007

I was very happy with this hotel. It was lovely and luxurious, friendly and gracious. The location is fantastic: About a block from Central Park and the zoo - which also means it's a block from Fifth Avenue. Madison Avenue's designer shops were about a half-block away--fun for window-shopping, even if you don't buy! The hotel is on the Upper East Side, but you can get to Midtown very easily.

Excellent concierge service, yummy food and great service at the hotel's restaurant, incredibly comfortable bed all contributed to a wonderful stay.

• Liked — Excellent service, guestrooms, dining, location
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Reade
Boston
Reviewed 17 October 2007

I have to go to New York every few months, and have stayed at the Plaza Athenee a number of times. This time, I found it to be much less than satifsfactory. First, the room cost $650 (for room 411), a dingy interior room without a view.

The TV system was antiquated (as was the TV) and was far below par. Signal was bad, worked only intermittently. My laptop had as big a screen (and was flat to boot). It also didn't work, and the engineers had to call the cable company to disappear the blank screen.

The Internet connection was wired only, with far too short an internet cable attached with one of those ugly weights to prevent you stealing something as precious as a 3ft piece of Cat-5. No wireless in the room.

One always has the impression that Manhattan is a place where you go to get your excess money removed, and the Pl. Ath. doesn't help that. Silly things like adding $6.00 per person AS WELL AS a service charge to the already expensive room service menu are mere irritants, but conflate with the other things to leave a bad taste in your mouth: one of being underhandedly ripped off.

The decor is beautiful, and the staff are friendly and helpful. This was the reason I went back. But the fact that it was overpriced, and I felt cheated meant that I was constantly thinking that I wouldn't go back there. The fact that it took just under an hour for the folks to retrieve my car was the final straw. For these prices, they should have enough people to go fetch cars.

Nice people, over-priced, and falling below acceptable standards for the money charged. Not a good experience this time.

• Liked — Location, Decor
  • Disliked — Out of date ''modern'' convenience (No DVD, Bad TV, poor Internet) etc.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank triumphbonneville
Brighton
Reviewed 26 July 2007

Luxury hotel - good staff and comfortable.

Location good.

Room comfortable but low level with no view and in a hiden away corner. When I asked for a change I got the old ' sorry sir the hotel is full routine' not sure how true this was didn't feel full.

Overall good however.

• Stayed May 2007
1 Thank KPBN2
Dallas
Reviewed 17 July 2007

I had the misfortune of staying at the hotel during the air conditioning fiasco as well but that is indicative of a bigger problem at the Plaza Athenee -- unevenness in staffing.

I arrived at the hotel for check-in at about 5 pm and was told that my room wasn't ready. When I asked about the large fans I was assured that the problem would be resolved by 6pm. I left the hotel looking for a cool spot to relax (and a little shopping). I returned to the hotel about 7pm to find that the a/c was still broken but my room was available. I asked to be put on the wait list for the soon to arrive portable a/c units and went to my room. Not a word apologizing for the heat or asking if they could help with the luggage. They did offer me a warm bottle of water.

I let myself into my room (the bellman were busy running around delivering water so they were at least trying to help) to find average accommodations and melted cookies. The closet held a fluffy robe and slippers. At least someone was trying to make it pleasant. The furnishing are dated and a little worn but the room itself was spacious. The bed and linens were lovely. The bathroom was not quite spotless which is a big negative against the Housekeeping staff.

I had an evening engagement downtown and left for the evening with assurances that I would have a/c upon my return. Guess not as I returned to a room that was almost 84 degrees -- at 12:30 am. When I called the front desk she told me that there were no a/c units available. What happened to earlier promises of a/c or the portable unit? She couldn't say. I did ask her to prepare my bill as I would be leaving directly to go to another hotel. Yes at 1am....it was that bad. Low and behold 5minutes later a portable unit arrived. The gentlemen installing the unit were as kind as they could be particularly after what must have been a long day. They even smiled!

After a fair night's sleep I awoke to find that room service would not be available as the electric was off to fix the a/c Hmm. And when I got to the front door I too had to schlep down the block to Madison to hail a cab in the rain while the doorman watched from under the awning.

To recap the grades: Check-In staff a C, Housekeeping staff a D for dirty, Doorman rate a C as they did open the door for me on the way in and Room Service is a question mark as they were not functioning.

Overall a very uneven stay in terms of the service provided. And I paid rack rate for the pleasure. In NYC there are just to many great hotels to risk a stay here. Try The Lowell and you'll never need wonder if the staff is well trained to deal with a set-back. Hotel Plaza Athenee just isn't worth the risk or the $$$.

I know that many of you ready this is say that a hotel can't really be responsible for the air conditioning failure however they are responsible for the way in which they dealt with it and this hotel got a failing grade in that department.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Uneven Service Levels,
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
6 Thank brooksz
Amsterdam
Reviewed 8 July 2007

I have enjoyed the restaurant where I lunched with business associates. The incident with the air-conditioning was unfortunate, indeed, but the staff went out of their way to accommodate us and even bought an air-conditioning unit for my room. It was my first stay at this amazing hotel. The service was top class and the employees go the extra mile for you, literally.

• Liked — Service and "the feel" of the hotel
  • Disliked — AC incident
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank InternatlTraveler
Boston
Reviewed 5 July 2007

I spent a weekend in New York at the Plaza Athenee with my wife and daughter. We had a fabulous stay. Friendly, polite and warm attention by staff upon check in was very noticeable. Room was luxurious, nicely designed and simply beautiful. Friendly and professional staff made our stay as if it was our home. Loved the personal service involved in the Check in process.

During our first night there was an AC problem. But the hotel staff went above and beyond to provide alternatives. Next day we noticed hotel had even hired an outside AC company to provide AC.

Very comfortable linen and pillows were divine.

Concierges were most helpful and knowledgeable with our queries and theater reservations.

I recommend shrimp trio for dinner at Bar Seine. Simply delicious!

Upon our departure a late check out and an adjustment to the bill was offered by the lovely agent at the Front Desk to compensate for the fact that our first night there was a portable AC unit.

Simply superb, best we’ve ever had in New York.

• Liked — Service Professionalism
  • Disliked — Length of time we could spend.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family