“Outstanding Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #194 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

From check-in to check-out, my one night stay at the Plaza Athenee was superb. I arrived very early and my room was not yet cleaned. No worries -- I was directed to the lounge and treated to a cappuccino and newspaper whilst I waited. An hour later, the manager collected me and took me to my room, a lovely large guest room. The room was luxurious, with top shelf bath products. I dined at the restaurant which served up one of the best steaks I have had in New York. The bed was very comfortable and I slept very well. My only regret was that I stayed only 1 night.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Fortheus N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Finnish first
bricklinng
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

My family was invited to a dinner at Plaza Athenee and elected to stay there for convenience. On day of booking, standard room price on web site was $695, Orbitz was $595 and Hotels Tonight (that night only, 2 months before our date) had it for $375. I got "special" rate of $495. Opportunism in this business is rampant and annoying, but fleecing and lying are not.

First, the positive: Plaza A put on an excellent dinner in a private room. Food and service were excellent. Location on upper East side is fine.

Next, the medium: Rooms, furniture were OK. Rooms are small, fixtures are slightly worn and dated, lighting is dim, but OK.

Next, the real Plaza Athenee experience which was really unprofessional and awful:

We booked connecting rooms with standard 3PM checkin. At 3:15, one was ready and desk person (passing knowledge of English) said of second, "cleaners are in the room and it will be ready in 15 minutes". Wife went to first room, noted no cleaners in second room; I parked car and returned at 3:45. Still not ready. I asked if there was something else and was told only a 2 bedroom suite at $3500 per night. At 5:00 PM we saw bellman enter connecting room and remove luggage from prior occupant--no cleaning had been done. Finally ready at 5:30. The hotel lies.

Upon checkout the next day I looked at my bill to see charges as follows:
1. $26.00 for luggage help on the way in. I have never seen a charge for helping with luggage and if a hotel wants to charge, you might think they would tell you in advance. Not the Plaza A. Remember, it is unprofessionally run and just wants as much of your money as it can get.
2. $28.00 for luggage help on the way out.
3. $58.00 for parking a car when I had parked the car myself at a garage a block away
4. Two $8.00 charges for minibar. Not only did we have nothing, we had actually had housekeeping empty the minibar so we could use the frig for storing food for children. So there was not even one item in the room--still they charged.

Think this is just a fluke? One member of our group removed a glass from her minibar to use for water and was charged $14.10. Another had a "bellman charge" of $5.00 with no idea why. This latter person never booked the special rate of $495 and instead got a room on Orbitz for $434.

If you are thinking about staying at this hotel, prepare to find an "OK" physical plant operated by an unprofessional staff who will first try every trick to get as much money from you as they can for the room and then further pad this by fleecing as much as possible by any means, ethical or not, all the while grinning.

Room Tip: Try the London on 54th street. Really nice hotel with great rooms and suites. Nothing in NY is cheap...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank bricklinng
Athenee, General Manager at Hotel Plaza Athenee New York, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Hotel Plaza Athenee. We greatly value the feedback you have provided which we have reviewed with the departments mentioned.
As you may know, hotels have standardized charges for various services to include porterage.
I have reached out to you directly through email and look forward to having the opportunity to review your challenges in person.
Your patronage is much appreciated and we hope to have you back at the Hotel Plaza Athenee in the future.

With kind regards,

Anne-Juliette Maurice
Kuessnacht am Rigi, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

A perfect location in the middle of Town. Very central, you can walk everywhere. It's quite, our room had a balcony where we enjoyed the sun and the skyline. Room is big enough separate kitchenette and large closet. Breakfast is perfect, we enjoyed the granola with fresh berries and yoghurt. The staff is very helpful and friendly. We will come back. Stayed in room 1510.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1510.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ViaVolta
Newcastle, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

From check in to getting into the cab back to the airport our stay at the Plaza Athenee was perfection.

We celebrated our anniversary in NYC and he hotel made our stay memorable, from the personal greetings to chocolate dipped strawberries - all fantastic.
Room was grand and bathroom was beautiful. Plenty of storage and good amenities too.
Probably the best sleeps I've had in NYC in over 30 visits.

Situated on the quiet E64th street between Madison & Park the location is perfect for a walk into Central Park or getting the bus down 5th Ave. 59th Street on the 4,5,6 line has an express platform stop so you can get all the way downtown (or way uptown) in super quick time. You will also find the F train right around the block another line taking through the heart of midtown to Macy's doorsteps then onto LES and Brooklyn.

Its hard to say you feel at home in a hotel but here we did. No hassles, just understated perfection all round.

For the right deal I would instantly stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay a little bit more for a larger room, worth every penny folks!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gst1
Billingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We were greeted personally by Sebastian the GM who was professional, warm & down to earth.
The Hotel was charming & elegant with super service & a Boutique style.
It was my Wife's 50th Birthday & we were upgraded to a magnificent suite over looking a stunning tree lined street. A chocolate cake was delivered to add an extra special touch.
Room service was excellent, food delicious, hot & quickly delivered.

Rick the concierge was outstanding, booking us the " Taste of Harlem Tour" which was a highlight of our trip; he also assisted us with other reservations etc - nothing was too much.
Over all we would highly recommend this Hotel for service & location.

Room Tip: Request a room at the front of the Hotel for a quiet street view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We were very impressed with the calibre of this hotel. We stayed for nearly a week and were extremely comfortable. The fit out of the room was tasteful and fresh and quite spacious with a little entrance hallway. Service was consistently professional and friendly with a European flavour. And as for the location? Just wonderful. Being between 2 avenues is so quiet and this is a very convenient upper East location with excellent restaurants nearby. Ask the fabulous concierge Rick for recommendations. They were faultless.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

This was a very nice hotel, but not quite the 5-star luxury I was expecting. It is a small, quiet boutique hotel, which is great if you want a more private, homey vibe, but I missed the grander scale of hotels like The Plaza and the buzzy nightlife of The Carlyle. Rooms are hit or miss. I received a triple-upgrade to a Deluxe room, which was wonderful with a huge marble foyer and double closets! However, my dad supposedly received the same upgrade, yet his room was smaller and much more average, nothing fancy. Bar Seine is very cozy and offers yummy food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. However, I didn't think the high prices were justified for a relatively casual bar/lounge setting. The one exception is their Afternoon Tea- you get a LOT of food, especially desserts! The location of this hotel is one of it's greatest assets, in the heart of the Upper East Side while at the same time walking distance to midtown- and with Chanel a few doors down! Overall, I recommend it if you're looking for a more genteel, quiet place to stay as opposed to a grand deluxe landmark like the Plaza or Carlyle (sorry to keep namedropping those two, they're just my faves!)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family