“Refurbish to be great!”

Hotel Plaza Athenee
Ranked #188 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed in a large room in need of refurbishment. The bathroom was extremely old fashioned. Every other aspect of the hotel was good - room service, gym, reception, concierge, location on upper east side [by the park] were all excellent.

The hotel was quiet and we had great sleeps - impressive for NYC!

We had complimentary Wi-Fii, which might have been an error on their part!

My wife would appreciate a dress code for the gym - some men aren't as beautiful as they like to think they are!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's been refurbished during the past ten years!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Athenee, General Manager at Hotel Plaza Athenee, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. We are indeed planning a renovation in the months ahead and look forward sharing our enhancements with you once they are finalized.
I have noted your comment regarding attire in our fitness room, which I will follow up on.
We greatly appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Plaza Athenee New York in the future.

ajmaurice@plaza-athenee.com

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Over the years my wife and I have stayed at a number of fine NYC hotels, but this was our first time at this hotel, which was urged on us by our travel agent, and she was absolutely right. We stayed here for a week in May.

Overall: This luxury hotel is in a wonderful location, very quiet, apart from the bustle of the city but a short walk to many of the city's attractions, close to the subway for longer journeys, with excellent staff, comfortable room with two chairs for reading, in addition to a desk chair, two closets, double sinks in bathroom. As a result, it's very expensive but still good value. We'll be returning. For those who want details, read further.

Our stay didn't start out well. We had to wait for our luggage during a rainstorm at JFK and joked on the ride to the hotel that at least we wouldn't have to wait for our room since we were arriving around 5:00 PM. Wrong. But front desk said we would receive a "double upgrade" as a consequence. Who could be upset about that. We were offered coffee/tea in the lounge while we waited, but we wanted something stronger, so we paid. After about an hour we inquired and were told our room was ready but when we arrived there was still the strong stench of a de-odorizer trying to mask, unsuccessfully, the noticeable smell of cigarettes. We immediately asked for another room (the "double upgrade" room wasn't very appealing anyway, overlooking backyards, although it had a very large bathroom). We were quickly taken to a room (505? 515?) right off the elevator overlooking 64th Street, above the entrance to the hotel.

Normally I would never accept a room across from, or next to, an elevator, and I would be nervous about street noise at this low a floor, but this room (and this must be true for the entire hotel) was remarkably quiet. We never heard the elevator and only occasional street noise. We never heard anyone in the rooms on either side of, or above or below, us, or any noise from other bathrooms. This has to be one of the quietest hotels in any major city.

Our package included free continental breakfast for 2. We never had the continental breakfast, but we were credited with this amount on what we ordered for breakfast, so the daily breakfast charge was in the acceptable range. (Without the credit, and if you're not careful, you could easily spend over $100 for two for breakfast!) The quality of the breakfast, in a very attractive dining room with good service, was first rate.

We had drinks, and bar food, on several occasions in the pleasant if compact bar/lounge area, and the quality was quite good.

The concierge staff were excellent (with one exception). We received excellent restaurant recommendations from Kevin, and great directions (particularly on the subway to Brooklyn Museum and to the theater district) and suggestions from Rick. The exception: We asked for distilled water to be delivered to our room - we were told there would be a charge for the bellman to go to the drug store, and we said fine. But he delivered regular water (while we were out of the room), and the concierge insisted that they knew the difference and this couldn't have happened. We should have asked for the charge to be removed but we drank the (not distilled) water.

Some tips/comments:

A 15% gratuity is automatically included with breakfast, but not for drinks/food in the bar/lounge. There is a note in menu that states that a 15% gratuity will be added to drinks/food in the bar/lounge if you don't specify a gratuity. My wife misread this at first and just put $5.00 down (she thought in addition to the automatic 15%), and was horrified to realize later that she had left a 5% tip (which she remedied later).

The hotel doesn't provide ice with turn down service (which surprised us) but provided free ice to our room quickly upon request.

I noticed that a European guest complained about no free in-room Wi-Fi, but sadly this practice is standard at all luxury hotels in the U.S (including our preferred hotel chain, the Four Seasons), with an occasional exception (depending on your "package deal" or your membership in a hotel club, or the negotiating skills of your travel agent). We highly recommend carrying your own Wi-Fi with you. We travel with a 5G Verizon Jetpack which works very well for us, or you can rent them for the duration of your trip (which we do when traveling outside the U.S.)

Room Tip: Try to get a room looking out on 64th street - much more pleasant than looking out the back of the h...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BerkeleyJohn
Athenee, General Manager at Hotel Plaza Athenee, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We greatly appreciate the wonderful feedback regarding our team and guest rooms.
We sincerely apologize for the cigarette odor which you encountered. Our Housekeeping procedures include deep cleaning namely after a smoker has occupied a room. We will revisit our current cleaning measures to avoid this reoccurence.
I have reviewed the room deliveries and have indeed noted that you were not delivered the bottled water promised to you. Your statement has been adjusted and the charge has been removed, as it should be.
We greatly value your patronage and I would very much like to personally handle your future reservations at the Hotel Plaza Athenee. I may be reached directly at 212-606-4688 or at ajmaurice@plaza-athenee.com
The team and I look forward to welcoming you back and thank you again for this helpful critique.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Close proximity to Daniel is important. And the park love my morning jogs. My favorite room is the large grand deluxe room. When I am traveling for work or just my husband and I we stay here. It's nice, small, superb service, wonderful beds and big bathrooms with double sinks and separate large tub and shower is important to me. I love the little bar and some nights they have an acoustic guitar player playing. So cozy so private. The dining room for breakfast is wonderful. I have not had dinner here. With Daniel around the corner I go there. But if room service and breakfast are any indication of dinner I'm sure it's wonderful. The staff is super attentive. Can't say enough about them. This is not a hotel for people who want to be in the same room with 3 or 4 ladies. There are only kings beds and very few suite options. They will bring a roll away but it's not very comfortable as far as space goes. Stay here on business or as couples it's perfect. I'd take this over the crowds at the plaza any day. I stayed there once and wished I was at plaza athenee.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Excellent location, great room and bathroom and staff efficient and friendly. Just a pitty that they charge $ 16.95 a day for in room Wi-Fi (we are in 2014, no?) and I discovered the day I left that capuccino that the waiter proposed each morning, between "coffee and orange juice" was not included in the package breakfast. More chocking was this additional beverage was not specifically added on the breakfast check that you sign but... a part, without asking your signature. Not fair at all even for 10$ the capuccino I did even not discuss when paying my bill. At least next visitors (I probably will be) know about this kind of strange and unfair behaviour.

Room Tip: 1404 is the only one I know. Perfect except the light Under and above the two doors
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Athenee, General Manager at Hotel Plaza Athenee, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feebback regarding your recent stay at the Hotel Plaza Athenee. We are pleased to offer complimentary WIFI when booked directly via our website. We are constantly surveying competition and our current website charges are in line with our competitors.
I have looked into your breakfast bill. You were charged for 1 full breakfast (all inclusive) and for various breakfast items ordered by a 2nd guest at your table; coffee, bacon and juice were ordered. These were items which appeared on your bill.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I am at your disposal.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

For those of you who enjoy afternoon tea I suggest a departure from the overdone, overpriced, and average service at the Plaza. Quiet, calm and impeccable service I encourage this quiet spot on the upper east side for warm scones and fragrant heartwarming tea. Go with friends, your significant other or treat yourself to a lovely afternoon.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christine F
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Very much enjoyed the hotel. It is a boutique hotel and easy to get to the rooms. Lobby is very nice - not opulent. The room was the largest we have seen in a NYC hotel (non-suite room). The hotel would merit a 5 star (or five circles?) except for the following: Bathroom is a bit small, prices for meals and wine are too much (just had breakfast there and evening wine) and the view from the room was poor. Location was good - just 2 blocks from Central Park, 5 blocks from the Guggenheim and 5 blocks from Fifth Avenue / Madison Ave shopping. Also a few blocks from subway. Every staff member was extremely courteous and professional - probably more so than any other hotel which I have ever visited.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
The Hotel Plaza Athenee like many hotels in our City, offers a variety of room types with various configurations. I regret to hear that you were disappointed with the bathroom in your accommodations.
I have also noted your comments regarding our pricing for our food and beverage, which are always up for review.
It would be my pleasure to assist you personally with your future reservations to ensure that your all your expectations are met. I may be reached directly at 212-606-4688 or at ajmaurice@plaza-athenee.com

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is a very pricy retreat from the hustle and bustle of Madison, Park, and Lexington, Avenue, and is steps away from central park. The entrée is botanical. As you walk in you're looking at a wall mural of the wilderness at the foot of the Acropolis in Athens, but the accessories are French. The suite features scenes of the French Legion middle eastern expeditions. You do feel like a traveler in the 19th century who hit a lucky strike and got invited to stay at a wealthy sheikh's palace. The rooms are very uniquely decorated which is why this hotel stands well above the fray. The lounge is cozy and peaceful. In short, this is a great place to stay if you can dish out the Mullah ($1500 for the suite, $600-900 for singles), but there are better deals in town albeit without the time travel included here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us your feedback regarding your recent stay. While our City provides an array of hotels as you noted, there are few jems on the upper side which offer the tranquility, as you note, the service and the discretion offered by the team at the Hotel Plaza Athenee.
We frequently offer special rates based on length of stays and room types. It would be my pleasure to assist you personally with your future reservations at the Plaza Athenee.
I can be reached directly at 212-606-4688 or at ajmaurice@plaza-athenee.com

We value your business and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.