Hotel Plaza Athenee
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Lowell Hotel(New York City)
  • Restaurant
The Melrose Hotel(New York City)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
Hotel Delmonico(New York City)
  • Room Service
  • Room Service
  • Fitness centre
Bristol Plaza(New York City)
  • Pool
Oakwood at the Blake(New York City)
  • Fitness centre
  • Restaurant
All reviewsupper east sidecentral parkmadison avenuenew yorkroom service breakfastquiet streetstar propertymarble bathroomsmall hotelcharming hotelturn down servicebrick wallconcierge desklocation is fantastictwo blocksgreat roomupon check
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 July 2007

I had the misfortune of staying at the hotel during the air conditioning fiasco as well but that is indicative of a bigger problem at the Plaza Athenee -- unevenness in staffing.

I arrived at the hotel for check-in at about 5 pm and was told that my room wasn't ready. When I asked about the large fans I was assured that the problem would be resolved by 6pm. I left the hotel looking for a cool spot to relax (and a little shopping). I returned to the hotel about 7pm to find that the a/c was still broken but my room was available. I asked to be put on the wait list for the soon to arrive portable a/c units and went to my room. Not a word apologizing for the heat or asking if they could help with the luggage. They did offer me a warm bottle of water.

I let myself into my room (the bellman were busy running around delivering water so they were at least trying to help) to find average accommodations and melted cookies. The closet held a fluffy robe and slippers. At least someone was trying to make it pleasant. The furnishing are dated and a little worn but the room itself was spacious. The bed and linens were lovely. The bathroom was not quite spotless which is a big negative against the Housekeeping staff.

I had an evening engagement downtown and left for the evening with assurances that I would have a/c upon my return. Guess not as I returned to a room that was almost 84 degrees -- at 12:30 am. When I called the front desk she told me that there were no a/c units available. What happened to earlier promises of a/c or the portable unit? She couldn't say. I did ask her to prepare my bill as I would be leaving directly to go to another hotel. Yes at 1am....it was that bad. Low and behold 5minutes later a portable unit arrived. The gentlemen installing the unit were as kind as they could be particularly after what must have been a long day. They even smiled!

After a fair night's sleep I awoke to find that room service would not be available as the electric was off to fix the a/c Hmm. And when I got to the front door I too had to schlep down the block to Madison to hail a cab in the rain while the doorman watched from under the awning.

To recap the grades: Check-In staff a C, Housekeeping staff a D for dirty, Doorman rate a C as they did open the door for me on the way in and Room Service is a question mark as they were not functioning.

Overall a very uneven stay in terms of the service provided. And I paid rack rate for the pleasure. In NYC there are just to many great hotels to risk a stay here. Try The Lowell and you'll never need wonder if the staff is well trained to deal with a set-back. Hotel Plaza Athenee just isn't worth the risk or the $$$.

I know that many of you ready this is say that a hotel can't really be responsible for the air conditioning failure however they are responsible for the way in which they dealt with it and this hotel got a failing grade in that department.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
6  Thank brooksz
Reviewed 8 July 2007

I have enjoyed the restaurant where I lunched with business associates. The incident with the air-conditioning was unfortunate, indeed, but the staff went out of their way to accommodate us and even bought an air-conditioning unit for my room. It was my first stay at this amazing hotel. The service was top class and the employees go the extra mile for you, literally.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank InternatlTraveler
Reviewed 5 July 2007

I spent a weekend in New York at the Plaza Athenee with my wife and daughter. We had a fabulous stay. Friendly, polite and warm attention by staff upon check in was very noticeable. Room was luxurious, nicely designed and simply beautiful. Friendly and professional staff made our stay as if it was our home. Loved the personal service involved in the Check in process.

During our first night there was an AC problem. But the hotel staff went above and beyond to provide alternatives. Next day we noticed hotel had even hired an outside AC company to provide AC.

Very comfortable linen and pillows were divine.

Concierges were most helpful and knowledgeable with our queries and theater reservations.

I recommend shrimp trio for dinner at Bar Seine. Simply delicious!

Upon our departure a late check out and an adjustment to the bill was offered by the lovely agent at the Front Desk to compensate for the fact that our first night there was a portable AC unit.

Simply superb, best we’ve ever had in New York.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Boston108
Reviewed 2 July 2007

Upon checking in, was told there had been a problem with the air conditioning but that it had been resolved. That was a misrepresentation: Our room was eighty-five degrees when we arrived, with warm air coming out of the vents. Seven hours later, after dinner and theatre, the temperature was a balmy eighty-two degrees, and the a/c still was not working. The front desk confessed that the problem had not been fixed, as we were told when we checked in. As we left for another hotel -- the wonderful London/NYC -- we were assured we would not be charged. But, alas, upon our return home, and after reviewing my AMEX bill, we were charged $800, well in excess of the $350 rate we had checked in under. An attempt to speak with someone in authority at the hotel to get a refund resulted in my being dumped into an assistant manager's voicemail; my recorded request for a refund is still pending.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Capcityman
Reviewed 21 June 2007

Stayed in the Plaza Athenee in June and loved the hotel. It is luxurious without being pretentious, and the staff (reception, concierge etc) were all very helpful, including making some very good suggestions for dinner.

We had a "traditional" room which is their cheapest type, and although it had no view other than a nearby wall that was no problem. Besides, you dont go to NY to sit in your room looking out the window! Our room was very spacious, clean and comfortable, with lots of cupboard space and drawers for all that shopping! The bathroom was also reasonable in size and clean, with lots of fluffy towels and robes and slippers. A copy of the New York Times is delivered to the room every morning and there is also a turndown service at night.

Location wise it was also very good, close to central park and all the shops and restaurants on fifth, madisson ave and lexington ave. Lex ave subway is also a 5min walk away, if you want to use it. I think this area is a much better location than Times Square, which is much noisier, dirtier and "touristy".

If you can get a good rate it is definitely worth paying a little extra and staying here, you wont regret it.

Stayed: June 2007