“Spectacular Service and Renovation”

Loews Regency New York Hotel
Ranked #28 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Spectacular Service and Renovation”
Reviewed 3 September 2014

This was our first time staying at the hotel since the renovation, and it is absolutely beautiful. The staff was excellent in all aspects of the hotel: the front desk, bellman, restaurant, housekeeping, and the FIAT driver. I could not have asked for a better experience. We stayed in the Grand Executive Suite. It is easily the nicest hotel room I have ever stayed in. The marble bathrooms are so pretty. I love the cool colors in the room. The bed was so comfortable. The three nights I was there are the best sleep I have had in months! The Regency made our one-year wedding anniversary very special. I would recommend staying here a thousand times over.

Room Tip: The hotel is only two blocks from Central Park and walking distance to Broadway shows. You can also...
  • Stayed September 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda R
Kristi B, Public Relations Manager at Loews Regency New York Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Thank you so much for the wonderful review Amanda R! Thank you for staying with us to celebrate your first wedding anniversary...we are so happy we could be part of your special day! We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in town!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2014

The hotel was excellent and it's recent makeover was completed to a very good standard. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the Fiat car service was very handy. If you're looking for a place near Central Park, this is a very good option and I will definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank James V
Thank you for the wonderful review James V! We are thrilled you decided to stay with us for your first ever stay in NYC, and are happy to hear that we delivered on everything you expected! Please let us know when you are coming back!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 September 2014

I travel to New York 4-5 times a year to visit my children and get my city fix! I am so happy with the new Loews. Finally there is a wonderful luxury hotel in a great midtown location. Everything is fresh and clean. Bar was fun not stuffy. Staff goes out of their way to make sure you are happy and taken care of. Rooms are large with lots of closet space! I don't know where they got their beds but I had the best nights sleep in years! Water bottles from the doormen when you are heading out are a nice touch too.

• Stayed September 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Betsy396
Thank you for the kind words Betsy396! It sounds like you know a fine hotel when you see one! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon when you're next in NYC!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 September 2014

The Loews Regency is in a great location in a quiet area on Park Avenue within walking to tons of shopping, restaurants and Central Park. Staff is attentive and customer-focused. The rooms are big by New York-standards and everything is modern.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much Jamie F! We love to hear from our guests and we think you've summed it up all very nicely! Come back and see us soon!
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Had an amazing experience at Loews Regency- Everyone working at the hotel was cheerful and extremely helpful. The room was enormous for New York City- bathroom was exquisite, king sized bed was extremely comfortable... great location!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for the wonderful review mkof! Our rooms are large for NYC, aren't they? Come back and see us again soon!
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Location excellent, rooms large & quiet, staff outstanding. I was here before the its renovation and now the hotel is even better. Staying on Park Ave. lets me walk to most all of mid town New York and walking in New York is part of the charm of being there.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review Pionm. We are thrilled that you stayed with us pre-renovation and post-renovation and that you enjoy our new look and feel just as much, if not more so than before. As you mention, the hotel is in a perfect location to walk everywhere, and we agree that walking in NYC is all part of the charm of the city. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Warwickshire, UK
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Have to echo what a number of other reviews say - nice, but not as nice as I thought it would be from the website. I got a good deal on this hotel via Expedia, and for the price I paid (£190 a night, inc tax), it was pretty good. However, if I'd have paid regular price, I'd have been a little disappointed. My review is based on the price I paid, rather than the regular price, and I'd actually give 3.5 stars if possible - good but not very good.

Firstly, the good: room was a decent size for New York, exceptionally comfy bed, big HD TV in the room, nice bathroom with a tub and shower, plenty of power outlets in the room, and great, friendly porters and door men.

The not so good: In common with a couple of other reviewers, my first impression wasn't great. I arrived at 11:30 and was attended to by a very terse receptionist. It was all 'answers of one syllable only', no eye contact and really gave the impression that I was an annoyance rather than a guest. I was told that my room would be ready at 16:00 (I arrived at 11:30), and that I'd be called when it was ready, so I headed downtown for some lunch. 16:00 came and went with no call, so I walked back to the hotel, and was told (by a different receptionist) that my room had been ready for a while, but nobody had called to tell me. A bit annoying after a long flight when all you want to do is check in and grab a shower...

Other grumbles? The gym was out of use for the first 2 days I was there (no idea after that, I didn't check), due to water leaks, apparently. If I'd paid full price, the chips out of the marble in the shower, and the discoloured, rusty plug would be disappointing, as would my view over the fire escapes and air con units of a neighbouring building. The (very noisy) air conditioning wasn't working particularly well - during a 3 day stay, the room temperature never dropped below 73 degrees, despite the air con being on its coldest setting throughout. My room was pretty close to the lifts, and every time they arrived on our floor, the double bell was clearly audible (day and night). The free Fiat service was fully booked for the entire 3 nights / 4 days I was there, and that was common for a lot of guests I overheard trying to book. I appreciate that they are a limited availability service, but much is made of the service on the Loews website, and it seems that you need to book weeks or months in advance to make use of these, which kind of takes the spontaneity out of your visit. When I checked out, there was a random $35 minibar charge on my bill (I'd not even opened the door on the minibar after I found the prices!). The charge was removed, but I'm glad I checked my bill carefully...

All the niggles may sound minor, and for a £190 a night hotel, they are. However, this is marketed as a luxury hotel, and is priced accordingly (how about $33 for breakfast, $13 for a small pack of M&Ms from the minibar, and $12 for a regular bottle of still water..?!), so I think you're justified in expecting better.

Would I stay here again? Maybe, but it wouldn't be my first choice. In the same luxury class, I've stayed at better - the London NYC and the (amazing) Library Hotel are way better in my opinion, and similarly priced.

Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty good hotel, but it's not as good as it thinks it is. My experience with the front of house meant that I didn't feel particularly welcome, so didn't feel the inclination to try the (expensive) restaurant or bars - there are plenty of alternatives in the area. First impressions really do count.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lifts - the arrival bell actually woke me up a couple of times on the f...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark T
James M, General Manager at Loews Regency New York Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
tredders_UK: Thank you for such a succinct review. I apologize for the issues you encountered and will definitely be reading your commentary in its entirety at my staff meetting this week. What sticks out in my mind is: 'this is a pretty good hotel, but it's not as good as it thinks it is'. It brings to mind my father admonishing me when I was in my first hotel job and being somewhat boastful - he said: 'Don't get too ahead of yourself there - all of this can turn on a dime'. You're critique brings to mind the need to truly sweat the small details every day and take nothing for granted. I do hope you will come see us again - and please reach out to me personally when you do. Your patronage is valued, as is your review.

Kindly,