“Funky and Trendy In NYC” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royalton New York Hotel

Royalton New York Hotel
Ranked #243 of 463 Hotels in New York City
London, England, United Kingdom
“Funky and Trendy In NYC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

Staff were amazing , very accommodating. Doormen/Concierge also really helpful and friendly. Rooms were very sparse but lovely and clean. Bring a torch to do your makeup! They do not have much lighting in the room and not much closet/drawer space. But all in all great centrally located hotel, ideal for Times Square and shopping......just if the hotel reading! buy some more dressers or closet and illuminate mirrors!!! oh and breakfast very expensive ....we choose the diner across road called the red flame ...breakfast there amazing!!!

Room Tip: make sure you ask for idea of closet space before u arrive!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jill K
, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
I am so happy you enjoyed our accommodating staff and ideal location. My apologies that you felt there was not enough storage space or lighting in your room; we do our best to accommodate every guest’s needs. I hope that you’ll join us again soon so that we may truly “wow” you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Korean first
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

My wife and I spent five days here to celebrate my retirement and 60th Birthday.
If you are looking for the traditional chain type hotel this may not appeal. It exudes atmosphere from the moment you walk through the door. Great service from Dino at the front door to the helpful and welcoming staff at check in. We were in our room within minutes of arriving.
Modern and spacious rooms with all you could need including an iPad. A nice touch. Beds and pillows very comfortable.Cleanliness first class. Bathroom good but limited space around basin just to set things out. Hair drying for my wife was awkward as she had to rest hairdryer in the basin !!
Great Bar and meeting place in lobby. Hotel just nicely positioned. Times Square, Broadway, Fifth Avenue and Rockafeller Centre all within a few minutes walk.
Would definitely stay again and have no hesitation in recommending.

Room Tip: Ask for room with street view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RJT52
Thank you for such a superb review! I am delighted we had the opportunity to celebrate your retirement and 60th birthday with you. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Syosset, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Royalton this past weekend and our experience was first class from arrival to departure. Every staff member we encountered (doormen, bellhop, front desk...) was friendly and courteous. The location of the hotel for Broadway is perfect (we walked to the theater and dinner). Once you enter the hotel, the frenzy of Times Square is forgotten as the lobby is so serene, quiet and peaceful. We relaxed on the comfortable couches and enjoyed a drink before dinner. This was our second time at the hotel and we have recommended it to all our friends.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Janet G
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our central location, friendly staff, and welcoming lobby. It was great to welcome you back for a second time and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

Let me start by saying that I am frequently in Midtown Manhattan on business and I have come to depend on a small roster of what I consider to be nice, but relatively reasonably priced hotels. The Royalton, the W Times Square, the W New York, and the Benjamin are all on that list. The Royalton is by far my favorite.

From the creative layout of the lobby and the rooms as well as the great staff, I really enjoy my stays at this hotel. The rooms are relatively nicely sized, and they make the most of available space in a minimalist sort of way. The beds are comfortable and the iPads are a nice touch.

The fitness room is functional and nicely appointed for a boutique hotel. The lobby is great and the bar is fun too.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Scott M
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
It is always great to hear from one of our frequent business travelers. I am happy to hear that our welcoming lobby, chic rooms, and accommodating staff made your trip comfortable. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in town.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

Excellent Midtown location, staff extremely helpfull but not OTT! Rooms were clean, comfortable and trendy!
I found hotel on an accessible travel website as we had wheelchair based traveller but would not recomend it for wheelchair travellers without support as the front entrance ramp was too steep to manage alone. Having said that front of house staff were fantastic and helped us in and out at all times of day and night.
I would definitely use hotel again if travelling without a wheelchair.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
We strive to accommodate all guests’ needs, and I’m sorry you felt our entrance was a bit steep. I am glad to hear though that the staff was helpful and you enjoyed your stay. Please come back and join us again soon
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

The location at 44 West 44th Street is IDEAL. A couple of blocks west and you are at Time Square and the theatre district. A few blocks north and one block east and you at Rockefeller Center. 10 blocks south and you are at the Empire State Building...and along the way you pass the NY Public Library and Bryant Park.

For helping your Taxi find the Royalton - which is visible only as 2 black doors and steps with brass railings (and usually a door attendant dressed in all black - kind of in keeping with the interior decor which I'll get to in a minute) - tell the driver to look for the IROQUOIS hotel which is straight across the street. On either side of the Irorquois are the Algonquin Hotel and The Sofitel on the other.

The boutique feel of the hotel is very fun. There is a black/brown/beige interior and the doors on the outside open into double glass frosted doors on the interior which open automatically presenting a lovely view straight back through the hotel and out to the doors that open on 43rd street. It has a very modern style but in no way is it stark. Quite the contrary it feels lush. The music during the day is Jazz. At night it's quite the happening place and music is louder. The whole ground floor tends to fill with people after work having drinks and fun conversations. But as soon as you get on the elevator and leave the ground floor it's quiet. A very peace restful room in the middle of a very busy city.

I booked the Deluxe Queen with Soaking Tub and Fireplace (1006). This is on the back of the hotel. Not much of a view...looks out on other roof tops and some nearby buildings and you can see some sky. But it was quiet.

It was too warm for the fireplace. But the tub and "rain style" shower was fun. Note: not a jacuzzi tub - just a big round one. The photos on the hotel website are accurate. Clever use of space and very stylish and comfortable for one person. Had my husband been with me I would have gotten a King bed and maybe a suite as this room had only one padded chair (and it was a very small chair - he would not have been able to sit in it) and one desk chair and with 2 of us we might have felt it was a bit small.

One tip - the bed is kinda low and is on a low platform-easy to hit your shin/leg on the platform. But I only did that ONCE. (smile)

I really liked the creative use of lighting fixtures. I do wish they'd put some small overhead light in the minibar closet and in the dresser area which is behind a small door too - both were a bit too dark. Would be nice to have a light in the clothing closet too.

I attended a party in the restaurant downstairs and the food was very good. I didn't eat a meal there as I had a crazy list of other commitments, and was hitting the diner across the street for breakfast.

Speaking of which - I highly recommend the Red Flame diner for breakfast. I have a soft spot for diners. It is across the street from the hotel on 44th street side - on the same block and a little bit west. I ate breakfast here for 3 days. Loved it- clean, fast, very affordable. You can easily have a full breakfast and coffee for $10-$12 plus tip. And there are cheaper options like egg sandwiches, bagel and cream cheese, etc. The coffee is brewed by the pot like old office-style coffee (i.e. not very strong) but I didn't mind it.

Across the street from a diner is a regular coffee shop where you can get espresso drinks if you want those before or after your fabulous diner breakfast. :)

Overall I highly recommend the Royalton for a fantastic location and fun design. And price isn't bad for that part of Manhattan. Overall a really good value.

Room Tip: I was on the back side of the hotel which was quiet. I don't think those facing 44th street or...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank CindyW_Texas_USA
Thank you for such a wonderfully detailed review. It sounds like you had a great time during your stay and really enjoyed the overall ambiance of our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

In short i would recommend anyone to stay here - you wont be disappointed - great Hotel, Great staff, great location, great bar, lovely food.

We stayed here for my wife's 30th Birthday in May 2012. Before arriving i contacted the Royalton for some advice and guidance on our trip - all i can say is that the Aioni, Natalia and Clay were fantastic, going beyond anything i expected and really helped make the trip one to look forward too.
On arrival we were not disappointed - the Hotel was superb and in a fantastic location - a few minutes walk from Time Square or 5th Avenue and other land marks such as Grand Central Station, Empire State and Rockafella.
We were warmly welcomed by Quiana, who was lovely throughout our stay and Aioni came out to greet us personally - we just felt the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and ensure we had a great time and got the best out of NYC. The staff were more than approachable and so helpful when we needed some assistance - be it directions, advice, bookings or transport etc.
Our room again far exceeded our expectations - having read prior to arriving that rooms in NYC were not particularly big - it was large and furnished to the highest standard with the facility of a personal Ipad to help us with anything we needed.
Neil assisted on arrival and again was brilliant throughout our stay.
All the staff we encountered were a credit to the Hotel (Aioni in particular).
We would stay here again in a Heart Beat - in fact we intend too as soon as possible.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank James S
Thank you for your recommendation! I am thrilled to hear we were able to make your wife’s birthday memorable. We love to celebrate all of life’s milestones and we cannot wait to see you again