“New York In Style”

Ranked #247 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“New York In Style”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed at the Royalton NYC for 4 nights mid-October. The hotel is in an excellent location - easy walks to Times Square, Bryant Park, Grand Central and the surrounding mid-town areas. The staff were friendly, welcoming and understanding. The dark, stylish lobby and bar areas were just what I was looking for, and the lively atmosphere that one finds in the evenings makes it quite enjoyable.

The room and en-suite were decorated well - clean, classy and comfortable. No issues at all settling in. Once again the lighting provided that slightly dark, elegant atmosphere that I actually found appealing. A downside comes in the fact that some of the rooms facing 44th Street experience some noise in the way of passing traffic, but this wasn't an issue enough to cause disappointment. On the contrary, I enjoyed the feeling of being in the middle of busy midtown New York.

The Royalton would be my choice of hotel when I return to New York at some point in the future. It certainly helped make my visit to NYC amazing.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Dilen P
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of Royalton. You gave such a great description of our prime location in Manhattan. We are happy to hear that Royalton is now your choice hotel in New York and look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 15 November 2013

My experience of staying at Royalton was good. Initially when we entered the hotel we found very noise and dark but then we started liking it as it was very lively hotel. Rooms were good and Washroom were very very good. plus Time Square was like two steps away so very much in heart of city.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Your short and sweet review is greatly appreciated. I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at Royalton. Our location is great for a quick walk to Times Square and our lobby is a great escape from busy Midtown Manhattan. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

It's hard to add anything new to the many compliments already on Trip Advisor.

Everyone is different, but we had little regret at staying here for 3 nights at the start of November. This was a birthday treat for me and didn't disappoint.

Great service, friendly and knowledgeable concierge, quiet room, great shower - especially after walking Manhattan all day - and a very welcome central location. Thermostat allowed us to easily alter the room temp.Taking advice from here, we asked to change our room away from the lift and this was done without any problem. On the 14th floor, no street or corridor or bar noise.

Thanks Halle!

2 small gripes - the lighting is dark, "minimalist". How about a dimmer switch in the room and also a light in the walk-in wardrobe? I had to use my phone to find clothes and to see the safe! The bar is very stylish but expensive. Excellent service, and selection,but 18% non-optional gratuity? Better to enjoy the hotel and eat out - great breakfast diner across the street and so many bars to choose.

On holiday. so we never saw or used the pool or spa, (do you need one for a short holiday in New York?), but scored these to make sure the overall rating didn't suffer.

Room Tip: Go higher floors.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you very much for such a glowing review. I am thrilled to hear how our great guest service, comfortable room, and wonderful shower made your stay. I am sorry the lighting in your wardrobe was too low and was an inconvenience during your stay. I hope you’ll join us again soon for another special occasion.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My partner and I stayed in the Royalton in Feb. this year, I have never written a review about any hotel before, but I have slowly become more and more annoyed that we put up with the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.Clearly the room had been divided into two , making it the smallest room I have ever stayed in , on top of this ever electric switch you touched gave you a short , sharp shock! There was one plug only under a table to plug in a hair dryer or phone , as long as you crawled under it!!! This hotel is not cool , just trying to be!!!!
The prices of drinks were extortionate , even my Newyork friends thought so, I have stayed in any 5 star hotels around the world and this definitely not .
Ps my partner emailed before we went to say it was my birthday and they could not even be bothered answering back, next time back to the Peninsula.

Room Tip: Make sure you see other rooms before accepting the first they give you !
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jill A
I am sorry to hear that your stay at Royalton was disappointing. We strive to continually provide great guest experiences and I am sorry you did not like yours. We realize our room sizes are smaller than those in other cities, but for Midtown New York they are spacious. I welcome you to check out other Morgans Hotel Group hotels in New York that may better fit your travel needs.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Got the Royalton on Priceline for 6 nights in October. Overall, the hotel is certainly good, but leaving it at that rather than excellent. The rooms are very clean, stylish, and bathrooms have great amenities. Service was friendly, except that at times there wasn't anyone at the front door. Location is in a quiet-ish mid-town street with plenty of hotels of the same category...

On the flip-side however, the following could be mentioned: any ancillaries, such as laundry, in-room dining, minibar, etc is very, very expensive compared to other 4.5 star hotels in the area. The lobby is like a nightclub (which I generally just passed through straight on to the lifts), and some of the rooms can feel very claustrophobic if they're not street facing (I actually changed mine to s street-facing one). Finally, the corridors can also feel very dark - stylish maybe, but they don't seem entirely functional / secure.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Quiet_Traveller1
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our central location, stylish rooms, and wonderful bathroom amenities. I am sorry to hear you felt some of the services we provide are over-priced, however our prices are in line with other boutique hotels in New York. You also mentioned that our guest hallways are a little narrow, but there is some great history behind that. Royalton was built in 1898 and originally only had two apartments on each floor with the maid’s quarters in the center of the building. This creates a unique hallway design that adds to the charm of our hotel.
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My wife and I recently spent one "date" night at the Royalton. We only felt bad that our time was so short that we really didn't get to enjoy the hotel itself very much. The hotel was sexy as anything we have recently seen. The room with king bed and panoramic window was gorgeous. The decor was intriguing with pale gray walls and mahoghany furniture which was just so chic. The lobby was extremely cool and invitingly dim at night. The staff was very friendly and helpful. This place is a gem in midtown with fairly reasonable prices for what it offers. We look forward to another and perhaps longer stay in the near future.

Room Tip: Take the superior KING
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Royalton is thrilled to have been a part of your “date” night. I am so happy you enjoyed our warm ambiance and friendly team, it sounds like you really had a magical stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for a longer visit.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Great Boutique Hotel, the staff was amazing the entire stay, friendly, accommodating. The room though on the smaller side (which seems typical for NYC) was clean and modern. The bathroom was very sleek with mirrors on every wall.
Can't say enough about the hotel staff.....we left on a holiday and the city had the entire street blocked off for a parade and taxi's couldn't get to the front of the hotel, the bellman carried our luggage down an entire city block to help us find a taxi upon checking out.
I would definitely stay at the Royalton again!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas S
Thank you for such a great review. I am thrilled to hear the team at Royalton made your stay extra special. Parades can always be tricky in NYC and I’m glad our bellmen were able to help you upon departure. We look forward to your next visit!