“Not the best bang for your buck”

Royalton New York Hotel
Ranked #254 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sao Paulo
“Not the best bang for your buck”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The hotel is good, yes, but as I see it the price is just not right. Priceline lists it as a 4.5 star hotel but it is more of a 3.5.
Pros: service was great and lobby/bar areas are impressive. location (near Times Sq) is great and convenient if thats what you're looking for.
Cons: room - very small (normal in NY, but Be advised) and not well kept: although it was clean, furniture, windows, the room overall shows their age and are not well kept as the price for night and the stars evaluation would indicate. Reserved a king bed room but the bed was not a king (not even a queen probably) and sleep was troubled with the high ac noise all night. Trendy and cool but without the excellence you would expect.

Room Tip: If you can, choose a larger room type and be extra careful with bed type if thats important for you.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
I am sorry you did not feel your stay at Royalton was worth the value. It is great to hear that we provided exceptional service and that our location worked well for your trip. I apologize that our guest rooms were not to your taste and that they did not meet your expectations. I hope you’ll give us another chance so that we can ‘wow’ you on your next stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The staff from the guest services at check in, to the friendly gentleman at the door, to the housekeeping staff was accomodating and professional.
Great location! i would recommend this to anyone looking for a comfotable convenient location for business.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Short and sweet – what a great review! I have shared your wonderful comments with the entire Royalton team, and it was much appreciated! I’m thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay so much; we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed at the Royalton NYC for 4 nights mid-October. The hotel is in an excellent location - easy walks to Times Square, Bryant Park, Grand Central and the surrounding mid-town areas. The staff were friendly, welcoming and understanding. The dark, stylish lobby and bar areas were just what I was looking for, and the lively atmosphere that one finds in the evenings makes it quite enjoyable.

The room and en-suite were decorated well - clean, classy and comfortable. No issues at all settling in. Once again the lighting provided that slightly dark, elegant atmosphere that I actually found appealing. A downside comes in the fact that some of the rooms facing 44th Street experience some noise in the way of passing traffic, but this wasn't an issue enough to cause disappointment. On the contrary, I enjoyed the feeling of being in the middle of busy midtown New York.

The Royalton would be my choice of hotel when I return to New York at some point in the future. It certainly helped make my visit to NYC amazing.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Dilen P
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of Royalton. You gave such a great description of our prime location in Manhattan. We are happy to hear that Royalton is now your choice hotel in New York and look forward to your next visit.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 15 November 2013

My experience of staying at Royalton was good. Initially when we entered the hotel we found very noise and dark but then we started liking it as it was very lively hotel. Rooms were good and Washroom were very very good. plus Time Square was like two steps away so very much in heart of city.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Your short and sweet review is greatly appreciated. I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at Royalton. Our location is great for a quick walk to Times Square and our lobby is a great escape from busy Midtown Manhattan. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

It's hard to add anything new to the many compliments already on Trip Advisor.

Everyone is different, but we had little regret at staying here for 3 nights at the start of November. This was a birthday treat for me and didn't disappoint.

Great service, friendly and knowledgeable concierge, quiet room, great shower - especially after walking Manhattan all day - and a very welcome central location. Thermostat allowed us to easily alter the room temp.Taking advice from here, we asked to change our room away from the lift and this was done without any problem. On the 14th floor, no street or corridor or bar noise.

Thanks Halle!

2 small gripes - the lighting is dark, "minimalist". How about a dimmer switch in the room and also a light in the walk-in wardrobe? I had to use my phone to find clothes and to see the safe! The bar is very stylish but expensive. Excellent service, and selection,but 18% non-optional gratuity? Better to enjoy the hotel and eat out - great breakfast diner across the street and so many bars to choose.

On holiday. so we never saw or used the pool or spa, (do you need one for a short holiday in New York?), but scored these to make sure the overall rating didn't suffer.

Room Tip: Go higher floors.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you very much for such a glowing review. I am thrilled to hear how our great guest service, comfortable room, and wonderful shower made your stay. I am sorry the lighting in your wardrobe was too low and was an inconvenience during your stay. I hope you’ll join us again soon for another special occasion.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My partner and I stayed in the Royalton in Feb. this year, I have never written a review about any hotel before, but I have slowly become more and more annoyed that we put up with the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.Clearly the room had been divided into two , making it the smallest room I have ever stayed in , on top of this ever electric switch you touched gave you a short , sharp shock! There was one plug only under a table to plug in a hair dryer or phone , as long as you crawled under it!!! This hotel is not cool , just trying to be!!!!
The prices of drinks were extortionate , even my Newyork friends thought so, I have stayed in any 5 star hotels around the world and this definitely not .
Ps my partner emailed before we went to say it was my birthday and they could not even be bothered answering back, next time back to the Peninsula.

Room Tip: Make sure you see other rooms before accepting the first they give you !
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jill A
I am sorry to hear that your stay at Royalton was disappointing. We strive to continually provide great guest experiences and I am sorry you did not like yours. We realize our room sizes are smaller than those in other cities, but for Midtown New York they are spacious. I welcome you to check out other Morgans Hotel Group hotels in New York that may better fit your travel needs.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Got the Royalton on Priceline for 6 nights in October. Overall, the hotel is certainly good, but leaving it at that rather than excellent. The rooms are very clean, stylish, and bathrooms have great amenities. Service was friendly, except that at times there wasn't anyone at the front door. Location is in a quiet-ish mid-town street with plenty of hotels of the same category...

On the flip-side however, the following could be mentioned: any ancillaries, such as laundry, in-room dining, minibar, etc is very, very expensive compared to other 4.5 star hotels in the area. The lobby is like a nightclub (which I generally just passed through straight on to the lifts), and some of the rooms can feel very claustrophobic if they're not street facing (I actually changed mine to s street-facing one). Finally, the corridors can also feel very dark - stylish maybe, but they don't seem entirely functional / secure.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Quiet_Traveller1
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our central location, stylish rooms, and wonderful bathroom amenities. I am sorry to hear you felt some of the services we provide are over-priced, however our prices are in line with other boutique hotels in New York. You also mentioned that our guest hallways are a little narrow, but there is some great history behind that. Royalton was built in 1898 and originally only had two apartments on each floor with the maid’s quarters in the center of the building. This creates a unique hallway design that adds to the charm of our hotel.