“Nice and trendy but bit overpriced”

Royalton New York Hotel
Ranked #268 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The location for this hotel is perfect. Close to the time square, fith avenue, and all the fun places in Midtown Manhattan. I like hotels with character and style and this one definitely has it. Th elobby is cool with a very happening bar every night. staff was nice and helpful. However for the price that I paid, and it was a very hight price I got a tiny room witha window facing a wall, which was quite depressing. I had no natural light so I never knew what time it was and what was the weather outside. I understand that some rooms are simply like that due to the construction of the building but I have upgraded my room to get something decent and that wasn't it. Also the breakfast was insanly expensive. I recommend eating outside.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Pysiu
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

I am glad to hear you enjoyed our central Midtown location and appreciated our unique design. It sounds like our location, ambiance and team members really made your stay. I do hope you’ll give us another chance so that we may wow you with our exceptional service and place you in a higher room that receives more natural light.

Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a shopping trip to New York, fab location and as soon as we walked through the door we loved it! cosy, welcoming lobby and bar area! the fire in the freezing New York weather was a godsend! I know a few people have commented how it's too dark and unwelcoming etc but we loved this cool, relaxing and friendly feel that it offered us! the staff were very welcoming, our room was only basic not a bath tub room just a shower but it offered us everything we needed, had a boutique trendy feel to it! the toiletries are a nice touch and candles too and we can truly say you should really enjoy your stay here! we did! thank you royalton for making our stay so comfortable! oh and we enjoyed the delicious cocktails!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for such a fabulous review! I am thrilled to hear how much you loved Royalton’s ambiance and that our lobby fireplace was great during a cold day in the city. It sounds like you really had the chance to enjoy all Royalton has to offer. I hope you’ll join us again soon for another wonderful stay.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I will start this review by saying one thing - approach this hotel with an open mind. It's not your usual hotel - when you walk in with all your luggage late at night you think you've walked into the wrong place. There's nothing about it that screams 'HOTEL' and obviously this can sometimes be a good thing. On this occasion, the crowded bar area, the ridiculously dark floor space and the loud music made it very difficult to find where to check in.

I was initially given a fourth floor which absolutely stunk of cigarette smoke. After telephoning down, someone from room service was sent to 'deal with me' (or so it felt) as they came up with a large can of room spray. Hardly suitable - she then sent someone else up equally couldn't help.

I was then given another room higher up but again it was of a similar TINY size, facing extractor fans out the back, and it was dark and dingy. I ended up going back down to front desk, where someone on reception offered to show me 2 or 3 other rooms to determine if any were more suitable.

I finally accepted a very large standard overlooking the street, which was far more suitable. I'd totally recommend making sure you're happy with your room! I spent almost a week here and couldn't imagine having to stay in one of the smaller, darker rooms.

The bathroom was incredible, giant whirlpool bath with what I can only describe as a 'disco ball' style mirror behind it.

The rooms are incredibly stylish if not a little drab with the grey wall paint, but I can imagine it's not to everyone's taste.

What surprised me the most was the 'goody-box' beside the mini bar. Full of all sorts of 'toys' - clearly not what i'd come here to do, but can imagine it must be fun for those who are looking for a fun 'date night' hotel, or uh, similar ;)

On a few occasions I frequented the bar, I had a nice time. Drinks are hideously overpriced but then it's that sort of place. Have to admit although there are signs up everywhere saying it's a no smoking hotel I could regularly smell smoke in the corridors, so I guess people were ignoring the rules.

The rooms are also very clean and tidy, designed well and use the space properly. Location-wise if you want to be central NY then this is the place for you! Right by Times Square and Fifth Ave, which is probably why it commands the $$$.

While i'd probably recommend this hotel to some friends who are looking for a 'romantic break' I don't think i'll be coming back. But it's given me some great memories and if you're looking for somewhere FUN to stay away from the drab and boring big named super-hotels then this might well be up your street.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to have a room overlooking the street - it's not as noisy as you think! And...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for such a greatly detailed review. I apologize that your first room smelt of smoke; we are a non-smoking hotel, but sometimes these things can happen and I’m glad to hear we were able to move you to a room that was more comfortable. It sounds like you really enjoyed our welcoming lobby bar and comfortable guest rooms. We truly appreciate your recommendation and hope you’ll join us again for another fun stay.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Although, we live very close to NYC, sometimes it's great to stay in the city for a weekend getaway. Royalton was just the ticket! Great service, a really lovely room and the bartenders make the most imaginative drinks ever!
A fine place to be for business or pleasure.
It's also cool how the doormen don't have to wear those silly uniforms. Such pretense makes me feel uncomfortable.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

It sounds like you had a fantastic stay at Royalton, thank you for sharing! I am thrilled to hear Royalton was your choice for a “staycation” in the city. I hope you’ll be back soon so our bartenders can make another great cocktail for you.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

The staff and location were perfect, couldn't have asked for anything more from the hotel. It is a little pricey but it's New York City and right near Times Square so that's to be expected. The lobby/bar/restaurant is on the ground floor is inviting and stylish. Everyone we came in contact with were very friendly and helpful

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ken c

Thank you for your review! We are thrilled to hear that our guest service was so memorable. It sounds like our location was perfect for your stay. I hope you’ll be back soon for another great trip.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

The hotel is good, yes, but as I see it the price is just not right. Priceline lists it as a 4.5 star hotel but it is more of a 3.5.
Pros: service was great and lobby/bar areas are impressive. location (near Times Sq) is great and convenient if thats what you're looking for.
Cons: room - very small (normal in NY, but Be advised) and not well kept: although it was clean, furniture, windows, the room overall shows their age and are not well kept as the price for night and the stars evaluation would indicate. Reserved a king bed room but the bed was not a king (not even a queen probably) and sleep was troubled with the high ac noise all night. Trendy and cool but without the excellence you would expect.

Room Tip: If you can, choose a larger room type and be extra careful with bed type if thats important for you.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

I am sorry you did not feel your stay at Royalton was worth the value. It is great to hear that we provided exceptional service and that our location worked well for your trip. I apologize that our guest rooms were not to your taste and that they did not meet your expectations. I hope you’ll give us another chance so that we can ‘wow’ you on your next stay.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

The staff from the guest services at check in, to the friendly gentleman at the door, to the housekeeping staff was accomodating and professional.
Great location! i would recommend this to anyone looking for a comfotable convenient location for business.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Short and sweet – what a great review! I have shared your wonderful comments with the entire Royalton team, and it was much appreciated! I’m thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay so much; we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.