“OVERRATED, OVERPRICED AND FILTHY- STAY AWAY!”

Royalton New York Hotel
Ranked #251 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Phoenix, Arizona
“OVERRATED, OVERPRICED AND FILTHY- STAY AWAY!”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Needs Updating and CLEANING- Elevators were dirty. Carpeting filthy- looked like there was blood (maybe from someone's period,) . Make up mirror had dirt and dust from the previous year. NOT IMPRESSED. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank phxbear1
VictoriaStewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you did not enjoy the hotel. I was surprised and disappointed to read that you felt that the hotel was dirty and can absolutely assure you that is not the case. We take great pride in our standards and do everything we can to ensure that they are maintained to the highest level. Once again I am sorry that you did not enjoy the hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We just returned from a lovely, if not soggy, weekend in New York. The Royalton was an excellent hotel, and we definitely stay there again. Although the stay was not perfect, the issue was dealt with promptly and respectfully. We booked the hotel directly with them, many weeks before arriving. We arrived around dinner time, and dropped off our bags in our room and ran out to meet friends for dinner. We did not return until late, and it was only until the morning that we actually assessed the room. The room itself was tiny, which is not unexpected in NYC. Although small, it was very cool! But, when I opened the drapes to let in some natural light, I was shocked that not only was there a wall right up against our window, but I could not even see the sky!! When we went downstairs for breakfast, I felt the need to mention this to the front desk. Hallie was wonderful to deal with and switched our room without question or delay. We were much happier with our new room, and felt satisfied with the outcome. The rest of the staff we encountered were friendly and extremely helpful. The wait staff at both the bar and the restaurant were attentive, the door men were more than willing to run out in the rain to hail cabs, and Peter at the front desk was great! All and all, we were very happy with The Royalton, and will definitely return!

Room Tip: Do not stay in 401 if you like natural light!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Devorah S
Thank you for the review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was particularly gratified to read that while you did experience a problem with your room allocation it was solved quickly for you and the team all went out of their way to ensure you had a good stay. I hope to see you again when you next return to New York.
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I would like to say thank you to Victoria and all the staff at the Royalton, My husband and I had first class service during our stay earlier this month, We booked a standard room and on arrival we were delighted to hear we were to get a FREE upgrade to a junior suite, nice, this hotel is central to everything, times square, central park, empire state, all only a few minutes walk away, I will be booking the Royalton on my return trip next March.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
VictoriaStewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
It is great to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel, including our central location, well appointed rooms and first class service. We look forward to seeing you again next March when you return.
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My husband and I stayed in the royalton for our honeymoon , it was amazing, our room was spacious, we had a soaking tub, the rooms were clean, the hotel was in a great location with time square and fifth avenue nearby, also the staff were so nice and could not be more helpful !

• Stayed March 2014
I am so pleased that you chose Royalton to celebrate your honeymoon and that you had such a great time. I hope you will return to us for your first anniversary – if not before!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Went back to NYC for a fourth time (previously stayed at the Waldorf and Barclay) with a friend who was visiting for the first time, and I have to say that I think this is the perfect location in midtown for visiting a lot of the tourist sites (Times Square, Rockefeller, Radio City etc.). Lots of little bars and restaurants close by if you don't want to travel too far after a day of sightseeing, I recommend a trip to tonic bar, was good fun and good value if you stick to the beer!

It was great to walk in off of the freezing streets into the warm lobby/bar which always seemed to have a few people sipping cocktails after work. The bed was as comfortable as I have slept in and loved the deluge shower, you could say it was a bit noisy in the morning but I think that is just NYC. Staff were great and the room looked like new everyday.

The only thing that I would have liked is a barbell in the gym. The gym is a room with 3/4 treadmills, a couple of bikes, a pully, a bench and a selection of dumbells, enough for most...but I like my workouts.

Overall a great hotel, that allows for a great NYC break. If you have chance pop to a little coffee shop called Gregory's a couple of buildings away on 44th Street...best coffee I have had!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review and I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and all it has to offer. We very much look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the city.
Plover, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Excellent hotel, location and staff.
Many employees went out of their way to please us. The cleaning staff was awesome. I never thought I'd right that in a hotel review! The bed was perfect, room clean and well appointed. The work-out equipment and facility was compact but also well done.
We walked to Times Square, Central Park, Theaters, Rockefeller Plaza, Park Ave shopping, Radio City, NBC, FOX, ABC, Grand Central Terminal, other subway stations, TKTS and a billion restaurants and bars.
We will look first to the Royalton when returning to NYC.

Room Tip: Book early for two queen beds. City view only, south face is modern, north is classic and cool.The a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank megalomatt
VictoriaStewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you so much for such a great review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed everything that the hotel had to offer. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in New York
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Royalton for 6 nights. The hotel is in an excellent location and the staff were friendly and attentive. The check in procedure is slightly confusing with concealed booths off the bar but this is only a very minor criticism - says as much for my failing eyesight as anything. I would say for the price it is very good value and worth a recommendation. The Algonquin right across the road is well worth popping into for drinks - very clubby and traditional.

Stayed March 2014
I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel, it was particularly gratifying to read that you found the staff to be friendly and attentive. Thank you for recommending us !