“They slipped their disco”

Royalton New York Hotel
Ranked #254 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“They slipped their disco”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I have had stayed at the Royalton many times before, although back when it and me were younger. However, I thought it might be a great place to take the family for my son's 18th birthday.

I had trouble making reservations over the phone: the woman who answered booked us into the Hudson and kept quoting me a higher rate than what you see on teh 'net. I ended up making the reservations online and holding my breath. We booked the Spring to Life, which promised a room upgrade. Well, they upgraded 2 of the rooms, which was fine, all things considered, and fine since one of the upgrades was to the Penthouse Suite. Lovely big, big room with a gorgeous liviing area with a curved glass ceiling: perfect at night! But the room looked as tired as the dark, dark lobby: the mirrored cocktail tables screamed "80s. " You almost expected Tad Allagash to show up with Brazilian marching powder and a Bloomie's buyer to jingle " Things go better with coke." Speaking of soda, I went to open a soda and couldn't find a bottle opener. And even though the place had a small kitchen, there were no utensils. I found the waste basket only by opening the dishwasher ( the adjoining cabinet had no pulls). Don't get me wrong, at the package rate the room was extraordinary. The only other complaint was the continental breakfast with its sad collection of breads and cereals: you get better at a Hilton or Holiday Inn.

The staff was, as usual, attentive, welcoming and friendly. If it was just me, I might go there again. But with the wife or other family members, I would go to any of the hotels on the block first ( Iroquois, Chatwal, etc) . We just don't go to NYC enough to accept mediocre.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tony P
VictoriaStewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for your review. It is always interesting to hear from guests who have not stayed with us in a while. Firstly I apologize that you had problems making your reservation, I have shared your feedback with our reservations department in order that we may improve this experience for our guests. I am also sorry that you did not enjoy the overall design and décor of the hotel, both in the lobby and in the Penthouse. While we are very proud of our unique and iconic design we do recognize that it is not to everyone’s taste. I was however particularly pleased to read that you found the staff to be attentive, welcoming and friendly and I hope that this alone will tempt you to come and stay with us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Houma, Louisiana
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

The staff was great and the location was perfect!! Very close to anything you want to do in Midtown and the Theatre District!! The room was clean and perfect for what we needed it for. Wish we could have stayed longer!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lsulaw91
VictoriaStewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review for us and I am delighted that you had such a good stay. I hope that you will be able to come back and visit us again soon and stay for longer this time!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Needs Updating and CLEANING- Elevators were dirty. Carpeting filthy- looked like there was blood (maybe from someone's period,) . Make up mirror had dirt and dust from the previous year. NOT IMPRESSED. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank phxbear1
Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you did not enjoy the hotel. I was surprised and disappointed to read that you felt that the hotel was dirty and can absolutely assure you that is not the case. We take great pride in our standards and do everything we can to ensure that they are maintained to the highest level. Once again I am sorry that you did not enjoy the hotel.
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We just returned from a lovely, if not soggy, weekend in New York. The Royalton was an excellent hotel, and we definitely stay there again. Although the stay was not perfect, the issue was dealt with promptly and respectfully. We booked the hotel directly with them, many weeks before arriving. We arrived around dinner time, and dropped off our bags in our room and ran out to meet friends for dinner. We did not return until late, and it was only until the morning that we actually assessed the room. The room itself was tiny, which is not unexpected in NYC. Although small, it was very cool! But, when I opened the drapes to let in some natural light, I was shocked that not only was there a wall right up against our window, but I could not even see the sky!! When we went downstairs for breakfast, I felt the need to mention this to the front desk. Hallie was wonderful to deal with and switched our room without question or delay. We were much happier with our new room, and felt satisfied with the outcome. The rest of the staff we encountered were friendly and extremely helpful. The wait staff at both the bar and the restaurant were attentive, the door men were more than willing to run out in the rain to hail cabs, and Peter at the front desk was great! All and all, we were very happy with The Royalton, and will definitely return!

Room Tip: Do not stay in 401 if you like natural light!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Devorah S
Thank you for the review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was particularly gratified to read that while you did experience a problem with your room allocation it was solved quickly for you and the team all went out of their way to ensure you had a good stay. I hope to see you again when you next return to New York.
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I would like to say thank you to Victoria and all the staff at the Royalton, My husband and I had first class service during our stay earlier this month, We booked a standard room and on arrival we were delighted to hear we were to get a FREE upgrade to a junior suite, nice, this hotel is central to everything, times square, central park, empire state, all only a few minutes walk away, I will be booking the Royalton on my return trip next March.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
VictoriaStewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
It is great to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel, including our central location, well appointed rooms and first class service. We look forward to seeing you again next March when you return.
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My husband and I stayed in the royalton for our honeymoon , it was amazing, our room was spacious, we had a soaking tub, the rooms were clean, the hotel was in a great location with time square and fifth avenue nearby, also the staff were so nice and could not be more helpful !

• Stayed March 2014
I am so pleased that you chose Royalton to celebrate your honeymoon and that you had such a great time. I hope you will return to us for your first anniversary – if not before!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Went back to NYC for a fourth time (previously stayed at the Waldorf and Barclay) with a friend who was visiting for the first time, and I have to say that I think this is the perfect location in midtown for visiting a lot of the tourist sites (Times Square, Rockefeller, Radio City etc.). Lots of little bars and restaurants close by if you don't want to travel too far after a day of sightseeing, I recommend a trip to tonic bar, was good fun and good value if you stick to the beer!

It was great to walk in off of the freezing streets into the warm lobby/bar which always seemed to have a few people sipping cocktails after work. The bed was as comfortable as I have slept in and loved the deluge shower, you could say it was a bit noisy in the morning but I think that is just NYC. Staff were great and the room looked like new everyday.

The only thing that I would have liked is a barbell in the gym. The gym is a room with 3/4 treadmills, a couple of bikes, a pully, a bench and a selection of dumbells, enough for most...but I like my workouts.

Overall a great hotel, that allows for a great NYC break. If you have chance pop to a little coffee shop called Gregory's a couple of buildings away on 44th Street...best coffee I have had!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review and I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and all it has to offer. We very much look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the city.