“Does not live up to reviews”

Royalton New York Hotel
Ranked #248 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Dubai
“Does not live up to reviews”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Having read the reviews on tripadivisor and stayed at its sister hotels, I had high hopes for the Royalton. Unfortunately, whilst we had a twin room (double double) as requested this was the only thing that sold this hotel. The pictures on the website were clearly taken in the first week and not of all the rooms of the same classification. The Hotel as a whole was incredibly dark and the bathrooms were in a random triangular shape which did not function. The decor seemed old and the AC units were so loud to the point of distraction. The bars on the ground floor were busy and the fire in the lobby was great- but again you could not see anything. There is no restaurant or in room dining to speak of- unless you count the 5 menu options that come in takeaway bags. Staff seem to say all the right the things but lack sincerity. Location however is excellent- which is why we chose this over staying at the Mondrian or Hudson again. Experience does not balance out the location convenience so would not stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DubaiBelle
VictoriaStewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. As you state the rooms, bathrooms and public areas do have a unique design which, while it is something that we are very proud of we do understand it is not to everyone’s taste. I am pleased however that you liked our excellent location and hope that that may bring you back to us in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Miami, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed here for three nights, being in town for my brother's wedding which was taking place at the hotel. Accolades all around!

This is kind of a sleek, trendy spot and I was slightly nervous about how my party (consisting of my wife and 2 1/2 year old son) would be received. This nervousness turned out to be completely unfounded, as the level of service, attentiveness and welcomeness was unrivaled in any hotel I have ever stayed at. Everyone was accommodating and made us all, toddler included, feel welcome. Peter the concierge gets a special shout out, as does the door guy whose name I can't recall (slightly shorter, brown hair and glasses).

The room was spacious, although style trumps substance in a few regards. The lighting was odd; slightly dim but the bulbs are bright enough that it is uncomfortable to actually look at the light itself. Also, the sink design results in water getting all over the vicinity. Because it is an older building, the elevators are small (but manageable).

The bar areas are cool and the bartenders were all super friendly. The drinks are thoughtful; get the Manhattan (I forgot the exact name) with the one giant ice cube. If you're interested in the full bar scene, weekdays are more happening than weekends.

Finally, the location is quite good. You are in walking distance of a variety of shopping and dining, and Bryant Park is just a few blocks away.

Even though it is ostensibly geared towards a more adult clientele, we really had a great experience here traveling with a child, and for that the hotel earned its rating.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
What a fantastic review and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. I was particularly pleased to read that you were impressed with the levels of service, attentiveness and welcome and to hear that your experience was unrivaled by any other hotel you have been too was high praise indeed. I do hope that you will return to us with the rest of the family next time you have cause to stay in the City.
LONDON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

The location is the best reason to stay at the Royalton – close to great restaurants, the main attractions (Central Park, Top of the Rock, Empire State, Bryant Park, Grand Central Station and Bloomingdales) and an easy subway journey to lower Manhattan.
However, the rooms are small (7 hangers and a very small hanging space); the mini bar is very expensive ($9.95 for a bottle of water) and the bar is dark and full of business suits drinking at ‘reserved’ tables most week nights. We arrived on a Sunday (bar was practically empty and the kitchen closed), Monday – Wednesday we struggled to get a table as the majority were reserved (try Top of the Strand for an expensive cocktail but worth it for the stunning view) and Thursday/Friday were busy but pleasant. Didn’t try the breakfast menu (expensive and not much choice) as the Red Flame Diner opposite was friendly, reasonably priced and offered a great selection.
Staff were friendly and helpful. The fitness room is small but offers a good choice of equipment and free weights. Also free wi-fi and a business centre where you can print your boarding passes.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
VictoriaStewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
I am delighted that you enjoyed our prime central location and our helpful and friendly staff. I am sorry that you felt that the rooms were small, unfortunately rooms in New York do tend to be a little smaller than in some other cities, ours are in fact a pretty good size in comparison! I am also sorry that you did not have enough hangers, we absolutely could have provided you with additional if we had known they were needed. I hope we will have the opportunity to come back to the hotel when you are next in the city and need to be in our great location.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have spend many nights in New York in a variety of different hotels and the Royalton now ranks as one of my favorites. From the nondescript location, you feel like you are entering an exclusive location. We arrived late on a Friday night and immediately dropped our bags and headed down for drinks at the sexy lobby bar. Although, the rooms were enticing enough to make you just want to hop in the tub which is definitely made for two.

While the concierge left something to be desired, the rest of the service was outstanding. We received a bottle of champagne to celebrate my birthday compliments of the hotel.

The Royalton is definitely a must visit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
What a wonderful review I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and could not be happier that Royalton ranks amongst your favorite hotels in New York. I love to hear that we are a ‘must visit’ and look forward to welcoming you back!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Close to Times Square.Decent sized room for NY.All staff very pleasant.Arrived Sunday night at 9.00 and brother- in - law invited us for a drink in hotel bar--just made it as bar shuts at I0.00.
This is supposably a 5star hotel but the bar closes to residents at 10 o'clock!!!Other than that I would return if back in NY.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank incisor26
VictoriaStewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed our location and the size of our rooms. I am sorry that you thought that the bar closed too early on Sunday night. We do often stay open later than 10PM should there be demand from our hotel guests, I am sorry this was not the case on the day you visited. I was pleased that you found the staff to be pleasant and that you would return to stay with us if you return to New York. We look forward to seeing you at the hotel at that time.
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Perfect base from which to explore New York City. Went with my daughter for a short break to celebrate her 21st. WE could not have had a better location.
Offered an upgrade when initial room had slight problem with air con. Suite we were offered was sensational!
Happy hour at the bar and the cocktails were wonderful…loved the Pan Am my new favourite!
Minimalist decor and discrete but stunning service. Want to go back!!

Room Tip: Rooms are not large in general so if you want a large room go for a superior room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mummymcgregor
Wow what an amazing review – thank you so much for taking the time to write it. I am so pleased that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us so much. It is always so great to read that our style, décor and especially our service hits the mark! We look forward to welcoming you back.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I have had stayed at the Royalton many times before, although back when it and me were younger. However, I thought it might be a great place to take the family for my son's 18th birthday.

I had trouble making reservations over the phone: the woman who answered booked us into the Hudson and kept quoting me a higher rate than what you see on teh 'net. I ended up making the reservations online and holding my breath. We booked the Spring to Life, which promised a room upgrade. Well, they upgraded 2 of the rooms, which was fine, all things considered, and fine since one of the upgrades was to the Penthouse Suite. Lovely big, big room with a gorgeous liviing area with a curved glass ceiling: perfect at night! But the room looked as tired as the dark, dark lobby: the mirrored cocktail tables screamed "80s. " You almost expected Tad Allagash to show up with Brazilian marching powder and a Bloomie's buyer to jingle " Things go better with coke." Speaking of soda, I went to open a soda and couldn't find a bottle opener. And even though the place had a small kitchen, there were no utensils. I found the waste basket only by opening the dishwasher ( the adjoining cabinet had no pulls). Don't get me wrong, at the package rate the room was extraordinary. The only other complaint was the continental breakfast with its sad collection of breads and cereals: you get better at a Hilton or Holiday Inn.

The staff was, as usual, attentive, welcoming and friendly. If it was just me, I might go there again. But with the wife or other family members, I would go to any of the hotels on the block first ( Iroquois, Chatwal, etc) . We just don't go to NYC enough to accept mediocre.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tony P
Thank you for your review. It is always interesting to hear from guests who have not stayed with us in a while. Firstly I apologize that you had problems making your reservation, I have shared your feedback with our reservations department in order that we may improve this experience for our guests. I am also sorry that you did not enjoy the overall design and décor of the hotel, both in the lobby and in the Penthouse. While we are very proud of our unique and iconic design we do recognize that it is not to everyone’s taste. I was however particularly pleased to read that you found the staff to be attentive, welcoming and friendly and I hope that this alone will tempt you to come and stay with us again in the future.