“A total Has-been”

Ranked #249 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Miami Beach, Florida
“A total Has-been”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hotel is NOT for everyone... it's for those who fear "brightness" - I have stayed in hundreds of hotels, I travel over 100,000 miles a year and stay in at least 30 hotels per year; the Royalton is by far one of my worst choices, especially based on price for value. I booked the room through "JETSETTER.COM" - That would be MISTAKE No. 1 - I had a bad experience last year, but decided to give them a chance again in 2014.... I should have known better. On the other hand, the hotel itself was dark, hallways so narrow you nearly have to walk single file or you'll feel the walls are caving in on you, and the service was very poor. The room we got was one of their larger rooms (thank goodness for that!) so inside the room the issue was not space, but rather poor lighting - We had a large window, but the street is narrow and the room does not get much direct sunlight, so one has to rely on room lighting which is very poor, especially in the bathroom and closest area. Breakfast was extremely overpriced for a simple continental breakfast style buffet ($65 plus 20% tip for two people) and the quality of the food was not all that. Location of the hotel is very good, but right on the same block there are at least 3 other great choices, including the Sofitel across the street. Hotel claim is "trendy" ..... that was years ago when it opened and Phillip Stark was making its mark; today the hotel is just a has been. Will not stay there again; would not recommend to anyone

Room Tip: Do not stay in any of the rooms with round soaking tubs - they face a wall! the rooms with windows t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
VictoriaStewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us and I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

While we are extremely proud of our Unique and Iconic design we do appreciate that, as you mention, it is not for everyone.
It does seem that there were several aspects of the hotel that were not to your liking and our style and décor is not for you.

With a design that is completely original we do take a risk that we will not meet everyone’s taste and I am sorry that this was the case for you. Morgans Hotel Group does have other properties in New York which may be more to your liking, I hope you will consider giving one of them a try should you be traveling to the City again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Malta
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The 5* Royalton Hotel is very well located very close to Times Square and 5th Avenue. Close by one can find other 5* hotels, theatres and good restaurants. The service was excellent, staff very friendly and helpful. Good sized rooms and clean. The lobby, which is quite dark, can be very noisy and crowded in the evenings when people gather for drinks, at other times it was quiet. Our room was on the 18th floor from where we could neither see the sky nor the street below because of the skyscraper opposite so we could not check the weather. The breakfast was too expensive and it was not good value for money. We complained at the reception and we were given a discount on the breakfast bill. Otherwise we were very satisfied and we would recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: If you are given a room facing an ugly wall, you can ask the reception to change it for you. If ava...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great review!

We are, indeed, quite centrally located in Midtown Manhattan where you have great access To Times Square, Grand Central, the Theater District and great shopping.

I am glad our front desk agent was able to correct your experience with your breakfast.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to Royalton in the near future.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel including our location, atmospheric lobby and good sized rooms during your stay. I am also pleased to note that you will recommend us for future stays. We look forward to welcoming you back at that time.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed for 2 nights on 14th and 15th June 2014. Nice well located hotel. However they wrongly charged me on my credit card which caused me to go over my limit. The accounts department never answer the phone. You can only leave a message and no one calls back. Watch out if you stay there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Julian D
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am saddened to hear that you had some issues with your billing. I have shared your comments with our accounting department so we can prevent your experience from happening in the future.

If the billing issue has not been resolved, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Despite your experience, I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Royalton soon.
Leicester
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Nice little hotel. Don't expect the plaza. I was a little disappointed there was no doorman. Very trendy bar. They do great cocktails. Rooms are ok. Very minimalist. We were only there for 1 night. Bathrooms are amazing. Round tubs are the way forward.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel. While we do not have a doorman at the hotel we do have a Bell Team and I am sorry if there was no one there to greet you when you arrived. I was pleased to read that you had the opportunity to enjoy one of our best features – the 5ft round soaking tubs, and hope that you will come back next time you feel like taking another swim in one.
dallas, tx
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed here a couple of years ago and loved it so I was really looking forward to this trip. Unfortunately, a lot has changed. Minimal room service during the week and none on the weekend. I nice continental breakfast on the weekend but where are my delicious lemon ricotta pancakes?! The room was spacious and the bed still cozy but all in all it's turned into a B&B. for the price I would have expected it to still be a full service hotel. On the plus side, however, you can't beat the location.

Room Tip: Stay on the upper floors for a bigger room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank iloveitaly1010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it is always good to hear from one of our regular guests.

We have recently made some changes to our room service offering and now have a continental buffet in the restaurant at the weekends, rest assured if you are staying with us during the week the Lemon and Ricotta pancakes are still available.

I hope that you will stay with us again when you have the need to be in or around our fantastic Mid Town location.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This hotel was a great find! The location is great, close to pretty much anything but not right in the middle and too busy. The room was not the typical side step by the bed to get around (I was in a deluxe), everything was tasteful and welcoming. The main reason why I enjoyed it was the staff though. They were all so kind and helpful, never put off or too busy.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KeelyShea
What a great review, thank you for taking the time to write it. I am so pleased to see that you enjoyed the hotel so much, and was particularly delighted to see that the staff were the reason! We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the City.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Tripadvisor prompted me to review this 18 months on so a short one.
From the outside the Royalton looks just like an ordinary building, once the doormen have opened the door, you enter another dimension akin to an upmarket stylish nightclub.
The Staff were all very nice, our room was well appointed with a nice bathroom and comfortable bed.
The location was ideal only a few minutes from Times Square, Grand Central Station, Park Ave.

My lasting impression is of the Bar and the wall of stock from counter-top to ceiling, and supping their Tequila Manhattans..................... If you want one specify the one made with Lillet.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John-Boy-Saint
Thank you for your fantastic review.

I am glad you enjoyed our hotel’s ambiance, comfortable rooms and prime location.

I am also glad you enjoyed our Bar 44. We have amazing bartenders who certainly do everything they can to ensure that you enjoy your beverage and your time at the bar is memorable.

We hope we can have the chance to welcome you back, the next time you are in New York City.