“fantastic hotel”

Royalton New York Hotel
Ranked #268 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last year as part of our wedding in Central Park.

We were so glad we chose this hotel. I have such snobby standards when it comes to hotels but I couldn't fault this hotel and it's staff at all. I've visited New York 4 times and stayed in various hotels but this was by far the best. The location was great for us plus with my parents and other relatives staying at the Sofitel hotel directly opposite it was an added bonus. The Sofitel by the way was also great!!!

Like I said the staff were great. They made us feel so welcome and were so helpful. We even got treated to a bottle of gorgeous champagne with chocolates and strawberries after we returned on the evening of the wedding.

I would say that the hotel has a type of a boutique hotel style to it. It's decorated quite quirky and it may seem dark in the reception and bar areas but I felt that this made for a different type of hotel experience as it has its own style. The rooms however, are not dark. They are modern and elegant. The bed was comfy and the bathroom was so big amd spacious with a huge walk in wet room type of shower.

Overall I loved this hotel and its staff. When I can afford to return to New York for my fifth visit I will definitely book this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Hobster13
VictoriaStewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you so much for your great review. I am delighted that you chose Royalton to be part of your special day! It is always especially wonderful to hear that our team did everything that they could to make your stay extra special.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I had read in the past about this hotel and was curious. I have no major complaints, but the management of this hotel seems to be complicated. The physical plant is interesting, and rooms are very clever.

I had the same experience of several people on this site of finding charges on my my credit card bill after I was told at charge were incorrect and would be reversed. Attempting to get them reversed from Switzerland would cost more than the charges.

It is ok, but a better run 4 star hotel would probably be better for you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AmeriSwiss

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I am sorry to hear that you experienced some billing difficulties after your stay and would be happy to assist you personally if this has not yet been resolved. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our overall design and found it to be interesting and clever. I hope your experience with the billing will not deter you from staying with us, at that time please do not hesitate to contact me direct in order that I may personally oversee your stay

Reviewed 25 June 2014

When you pull up to this hotel, all you see is a big dark door up some steps, you can barely tell its a hotel at all. When the porter opens the doors though - wow! Modern, chic, warm, the lobby area is maybe a little dark, but they are going for a modern living room approach, with arty fireplaces with dancing flames and sunken sitting areas.

Rooms, as expected are tiny, but that's New York, and to be fair I think by New York standards they aren't that bad. A bit minimalist, but still chic and cool. We were 6-7 floors up, so we couldn't hear anything. No views of course, apart from another skyscraper opposite.

Cocktail bar is worth a mention! My friend and I were celebrating our 25ths together, and the barman definitely looked after us very well! Had them lined up all evening.

Location is unbeatable - walk right out of the hotel and in 30 seconds you're on 5th Avenue, walk left for 2 minutes and you're in Times Square! Around the area there are a couple of restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rastnim

Thank you for your wonderful review! I am glad you enjoyed our great entrance and lobby. I was delighted to read that our barman took such great care of you on your birthday, we are very proud of our exceptional bar team here and it is great to read that you enjoyed the experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the City.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The Royalton Hotel in New York City has one of the best hotel staff I have ever encountered in my 50+ years of traveling. From the moment we approached the front door the staff made us feel welcomed and well-cared for. The halls reminded us of an elegant transatlantic cruise ship from a past generation. The rooms were beyond comfortable, dreamy, and romantic. The rooms are outfitted with anything and everything one might need. (This ranges from the luscious Malin + Goetz products to a well-supplied comfort box for the weary traveler. In fact, when I wanted to move the desk so I could work and watch the World Cup, we were pleasantly surprised to find that we even had an extension cord in our supply closest! Trust me, the hotel thinks of every detail! ) The bar (Bar 44) and lounge have a great energy, especially before and after the performances in the Time Square area. The Royalton is a true gem. We will return over and over again!

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a friend, the Double, Double Superior is a great value. When we left we c...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Leonard C

What a great review! I am glad our fantastic staff was able to take such great care of you and you enjoyed our unique design and comfortable rooms.

I was overjoyed to read that you felt the staff at the hotel were some of the best you have encountered in your years of travelling and I and they look forward to seeing you again when you have the opportunity to return to the hotel.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed at in NYC. And I have stayed at a lot.
They accommodated me an upgraded me to a suite.
The bathroom is gorgeous. The room - spacious for Ny. Every part of the hotel is luxurious, but extremely hip. One of the best experiences I have ever had. I will return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank tineedancer12

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am so pleased you enjoyed our bathrooms. I particularly love the waterfall showers which are a great experience given our amazing water pressure! It is great to read that you enjoyed the size of the room as well as finding the hotel hip and luxurious.

We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hotel is NOT for everyone... it's for those who fear "brightness" - I have stayed in hundreds of hotels, I travel over 100,000 miles a year and stay in at least 30 hotels per year; the Royalton is by far one of my worst choices, especially based on price for value. I booked the room through "JETSETTER.COM" - That would be MISTAKE No. 1 - I had a bad experience last year, but decided to give them a chance again in 2014.... I should have known better. On the other hand, the hotel itself was dark, hallways so narrow you nearly have to walk single file or you'll feel the walls are caving in on you, and the service was very poor. The room we got was one of their larger rooms (thank goodness for that!) so inside the room the issue was not space, but rather poor lighting - We had a large window, but the street is narrow and the room does not get much direct sunlight, so one has to rely on room lighting which is very poor, especially in the bathroom and closest area. Breakfast was extremely overpriced for a simple continental breakfast style buffet ($65 plus 20% tip for two people) and the quality of the food was not all that. Location of the hotel is very good, but right on the same block there are at least 3 other great choices, including the Sofitel across the street. Hotel claim is "trendy" ..... that was years ago when it opened and Phillip Stark was making its mark; today the hotel is just a has been. Will not stay there again; would not recommend to anyone

Room Tip: Do not stay in any of the rooms with round soaking tubs - they face a wall! the rooms with windows t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us and I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

While we are extremely proud of our Unique and Iconic design we do appreciate that, as you mention, it is not for everyone.
It does seem that there were several aspects of the hotel that were not to your liking and our style and décor is not for you.

With a design that is completely original we do take a risk that we will not meet everyone’s taste and I am sorry that this was the case for you. Morgans Hotel Group does have other properties in New York which may be more to your liking, I hope you will consider giving one of them a try should you be traveling to the City again.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The 5* Royalton Hotel is very well located very close to Times Square and 5th Avenue. Close by one can find other 5* hotels, theatres and good restaurants. The service was excellent, staff very friendly and helpful. Good sized rooms and clean. The lobby, which is quite dark, can be very noisy and crowded in the evenings when people gather for drinks, at other times it was quiet. Our room was on the 18th floor from where we could neither see the sky nor the street below because of the skyscraper opposite so we could not check the weather. The breakfast was too expensive and it was not good value for money. We complained at the reception and we were given a discount on the breakfast bill. Otherwise we were very satisfied and we would recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: If you are given a room facing an ugly wall, you can ask the reception to change it for you. If ava...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your great review!

We are, indeed, quite centrally located in Midtown Manhattan where you have great access To Times Square, Grand Central, the Theater District and great shopping.

I am glad our front desk agent was able to correct your experience with your breakfast.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to Royalton in the near future.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel including our location, atmospheric lobby and good sized rooms during your stay. I am also pleased to note that you will recommend us for future stays. We look forward to welcoming you back at that time.